Star Trek & Into Darkness & Beyond - Live to Projection

TownerFan

Admin note: Original thread title was

Giacchino's Star Trek - Live to Projection (April 12, 13 and 14, 2013, Lucerne, Switzerland)

Michael Giacchino's full score to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (2009) will be performed live to projection next April in Lucerne (Switzerland).

The performance will take place in Lucerne's KKL Concert Hall, with Ludwig Wicki conducting the 21st Century Orchestra & Chorus.

More info:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/12/28/live-to-projection-concerts-of-michael-giacchinos-star-trek-score-announced/

Tickets:

http://www.kkl-luzern.ch/navigation/top_nav_items/culture/Programmuebersicht/detail.htm?client_request_contentOID=3813&client_request_dateOID=20102&client_locale=en_GB

• 3 months later...

I'm typing this from Lucerne - I attended last night. A few notes, not in any particularly coherent order:

• The score includes all looping, tracking and editing (and the live equivalent of the Tilton overdubs) heard in the film mix - this isn't as bad as it sounds as the live performance smooths over most of the joins.
  • The erhu performance was much improved over last year's disaster.
  • Effects have been dialled way down in the mix - the music is the centre of attention.
  • Rather than just changing his shirt and tie after the intermission, conductor Ludwig Wicki decided to don a Trek uniform.
  • There was a brief technical glitch which resulted in Giacchino jumping on stage, starting an impromptu audience Q&A and offering to act out the entire film himself.
  • Giacchino is scoring Tomorrowland for Brad Bird and an upcoming Pixar film.

Could be. He's also scoring another film that he is 'not allowed to talk about'. Make of that what you will.

It's 3:40am in Lucerne, so I'm going to bed!

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?

That was my first thought.

Star Wars - Episode VII ;)

No - that he did talk about, albeit in a brief non-committal sort of way.

Could be. He's also scoring another film that he is 'not allowed to talk about'. Make of that what you will.

It's 3:40am in Lucerne, so I'm going to bed!

While it's way too early, I'd love it to be Godzilla.

• 1 month later...

I'm typing this from Lucerne - I attended last night. A few notes, not in any particularly coherent order:

• The score includes all looping, tracking and editing (and the live equivalent of the Tilton overdubs) heard in the film mix - this isn't as bad as it sounds as the live performance smooths over most of the joins.
  • The erhu performance was much improved over last year's disaster.
  • Effects have been dialled way down in the mix - the music is the centre of attention.
  • Rather than just changing his shirt and tie after the intermission, conductor Ludwig Wicki decided to don a Trek uniform.
  • There was a brief technical glitch which resulted in Giacchino jumping on stage, starting an impromptu audience Q&A and offering to act out the entire film himself.
  • Giacchino is scoring Tomorrowland for Brad Bird and an upcoming Pixar film

Okay I realize I'm a couple of months late but I totally missed this post of yours Jim.

So this concert was essentially an isolated score played against the movie? If so what did they do for "Nice To Meld You"? I don't think in the film it was really music...for the most part. Or unless they actually did add back in the original music.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Trek: Live To Projection is coming to the Royal Alpert Hall in London, England on Thursday, May 29th, 2014!

http://life.royalalberthall.com/2013/05/royal-albert-hall-to-host-the-uk-premiere-of-star-trek-live-in-concert/

I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS!!!!!!

Marcy and i have been planning a European vacation for next spring anyway, so this is a happy coincidence!

I had a hard time finding good seats, tickets seem to be selling fast. If you are interested in going, you should BUY NOW!!!

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/star-trek/default.aspx?utm_campaign=life%2Bat%2Bthe%2Bhall&utm_source=site&utm_medium=link

• 4 weeks later...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Star Trek: Live To Projection is coming to the Royal Alpert Hall in London, England on Thursday, May 29th, 2014!

http://life.royalalberthall.com/2013/05/royal-albert-hall-to-host-the-uk-premiere-of-star-trek-live-in-concert/

I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS!!!!!!

Marcy and i have been planning a European vacation for next spring anyway, so this is a happy coincidence!

I had a hard time finding good seats, tickets seem to be selling fast. If you are interested in going, you should BUY NOW!!!

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/star-trek/default.aspx?utm_campaign=life%2Bat%2Bthe%2Bhall&utm_source=site&utm_medium=link

OMG!!! They are going to do Star Trek Into Darkness live to projection the next day!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/05/star-trek-into-darkness-live-in-concert-is-coming-to-the-royal-albert-hall/

In addition to showing J.J. Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek with live orchestral accompaniment, provided by the 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, on the 29th of May 2014, The Royal Albert Hall have now announced that they will also be showing the 2013 sequel Star Trek Into Darkness with live accompaniment the day after.
Tickets are on sale now and have been since 9am (UK time) this morning. So run don’t walk if you want to grab some as they will probably be going fast.
The press release from The Royal Albert Hall includes the following two quotes from J.J. Abrams and Michael Giacchino, who both provide their full-throated support for the event.
J.J. Abrams:
To hear Michael Giacchino’s music, the secret weapon of the Star Trek series, performed live in Royal Albert Hall, will be, I promise, a thrill… The full orchestra scoring sessions for the films have been among my favourite life experiences. To give the public a chance to hear this incredible music performed live is a wonderful thing. I cannot wait to go and celebrate Michael’s truly remarkable achievements!
Michael Giacchino:
In 2003, before I wrote my first film score, I saw John Williams conduct ET live to picture at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. I will never forget that event. A little over ten years later, I will have the honour of experiencing my music for both Star Trek films performed by the incredible 21st Century Symphony Orchestra and Chorus under the baton of the talented conductor, Ludwig Wicki. That in itself is exciting, but the fact that we will be in the Royal Albert Hall in London is truly amazing. After working with J.J. for 13 years, it will be so rewarding to have his wonderful films brought to life in a whole new way. I look forward to sharing these concerts with J.J. and the Star Trek fans, new and old.

Tickets are on sale now!!! I'm going!!!

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/star-trek-into-darkness/default.aspx

Do it Rich!!

You are quite lucky Jason.

Well, we were already going to Britain anyway around that time. What's another concert on top of things? Totally worth it.

Just picture how cool it will be to hear 100 choir members chanting the Klingon chant live in person!

May I remind you once again Cliff Eidelman did Klingon chanting first!

According to legend, Adam and Eve had the first sex. Are you suggesting nobody should have tried to duplicate the act?

I'd love to here that. A completely orchestral rendition (understand: not synths allowed) of that score could be great.

Yea, I'd be curious to hear it too, actually.

But I cannot possibly force Marcy to sit through THREE film score concerts on what was supposed to be our romantic two week European vacation :P

But I cannot possibly force Marcy to sit through THREE film score concerts on what was supposed to be our romantic two week European vacation :P

Dude!

Don't bring her. You know the language. You technically don't need her there at all!

(she doesn't read the MB right?)