Star Trek & Into Darkness & Beyond - Live to Projection

TownerFan

Sadly no, we will not be vacationing to England this year, and therefore not attending the concerts :(

Between Marcy injuring her foot on a mountain hike, us getting engaged, and beginning to look at wedding venues and shop for houses, it just doesn't make sense to do a 2 week vacation now that would drain our savings and delay both the house purchase and wedding, but also with her possibly needing surgery or at least PT, it wouldn't be a very enjoyable vacation for her if she can't be on her feet all day.

So I'll have to sell the tickets I bought to both concerts somehow (I don't think I can return them to the theater for a full refund), and hopefully we can go to Europe in 2015 for our honeymoon.

Oh, too bad. I hope she gets better soon. :)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, nice news about the Philly Orchestra performance, maybe I'll be able to get a comp for that. I'll definitely be there either way!

They're doing Gladiator live as well on July 18th, and West Side Story on the 30th. I was there for West Side Story live last time they did it, excellent performance.

Sadly no, we will not be vacationing to England this year, and therefore not attending the concerts :(

Between Marcy injuring her foot on a mountain hike, us getting engaged, and beginning to look at wedding venues and shop for houses, it just doesn't make sense to do a 2 week vacation now that would drain our savings and delay both the house purchase and wedding, but also with her possibly needing surgery or at least PT, it wouldn't be a very enjoyable vacation for her if she can't be on her feet all day.

So I'll have to sell the tickets I bought to both concerts somehow (I don't think I can return them to the theater for a full refund), and hopefully we can go to Europe in 2015 for our honeymoon.

Oh, too bad. I hope she gets better soon. :)

Karol

Oh that's a shame. It's ridiculous though that the RAH doesn't do refunds (I remember reading when booking - I'm going to the Gladiator and first ST showings) - I mean plans and availability can change all the time, and surely it's better to be able to resell tickets than risk an entire audience not turning up.

It's ridiculous though that the RAH doesn't do refunds (I remember reading when booking - I'm going to the Gladiator and first ST showings) - I mean plans and availability can change all the time, and surely it's better to be able to resell tickets than risk an entire audience not turning up.

Agreed, as I have fallen foul of this in the past. However, there are often touts outside the RAH willing to purchase spare tickets for the most popular sold out concerts (I appreciate that this will be of no use to Jason on this occasion). I'm going to one of the Gladiator concerts too!

You're going to Star Trek performances, Omen II?

I'm not actually, Karol. I'm just not really into Star Trek at all and in fact have never heard the scores to either of the newer movies, but still it's great to see any film score being given this sort of live treatment and I am sure that anyone that goes to them will have a blast. Seeing Gladiator performed live just appealed to me more, I guess, and I'm also going to England v Peru that week so need to keep some money back for essentials like beer.

I actually want to see Gladiator live with music. The score is extremely repetitive in the film, but the perspective of witnessing how they perform it "raw", with no synth embellishments, is just really tempting. Bet it will sound better like this.

Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness... well... In my opinion they are among the least interesting works from Michael Giacchino, with good bits here and there. Still, those type of concert tend to work regardless of what the score is. The fact you are seeing this part of filmmaking literally coming alive is almost orgasmic, in a sense that you're very aware of how the film is put together dramatically. Very interesting.

Karol

It's going to be great to be in the room with a male choir doing the Klingon chanting!

It's going to be great to be in the room with a male choir doing the Klingon chanting!

only male?

Michael Giacchino or death!

Death please!

Oooooh! Such a burn!

Just a note that the Mann Center is an outdoor venue, even more open than Tanglewood is.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else seeing the Gladiator one this week? I'm going tomorrow, and seeing Star Trek on Thursday.

Particularly interested in what Gladiator will sound like without any synths...

Anyone else seeing the Gladiator one this week? I'm going tomorrow, and seeing Star Trek on Thursday.

Particularly interested in what Gladiator will sound like without any synths...

I too am going to Gladiator (I'm tempted to say, "I'm Spartacus!" for some reason) but to neither of the Star Trek ones. Someone has posted the end credits from the Saturday performance of Gladiator on YouTube and it looks and sounds pretty good, but I have not linked it here in case doing so spoils it for anyone going this evening, tomorrow or on Wednesday.

I'm going to Star Trek on Thursday and Into Darkness on Friday. Can't wait!! :D

Aren't you going to Boston Karol?

I was about to, had ticket/hotel booked, but it proved to be too much of a strain financially. If I ever plan longer holiday in America, it might be a good idea, but not just two-three days.

Karol

No, got a refund.

All of this doesn't mean I won't do that next year, if everything works out fine. We'll see. In the meantime, Morricone, Giacchino, Desplat, Arnold (possibly Horner again, too) and others must do this year as a consolation prize. ;)

Karol

I was there tonight as well. My partner went to the gents before the concert started and Andy Serkis tried to take his seat in the bar. Cheeky bugger (I can't believe I stopped him!)

Amazing concert though and can't wait for tomorrows - we have much better seats than we did tonight!

Just returned from L2P for the first movie - awesome!

Giacchino, Abrams and Pegg turned up at the start with the usual spiel.

We also heard 5 minutes of music from Apes.

Did they just play the music as heard in the film, or was it the original intended version?

Just returned from L2P for the first movie - awesome!

Giacchino, Abrams and Pegg turned up at the start with the usual spiel.

We also heard 5 minutes of music from Apes.

Did they just play the music as heard in the film, or was it the original intended version?

To my ears it sounded like something in between. The whole of Trekking Down the Narada was performed. The placement of Nero Sighted was different - it started as soon as the Enterprise dropped out of warp in to the debris field. Also, there was more of Narada Boom used, specifically the big Nero theme statement at 0:32. Other than those three instances though it seemed to be largely what was heard in the film, with a few minor tweaks here and there.

To my ears it sounded like something in between. The whole of Trekking Down the Narada was performed. The placement of Nero Sighted was different - it started as soon as the Enterprise dropped out of warp in to the debris field. Also, there was more of Narada Boom used, specifically the big Nero theme statement at 0:32. Other than those three instances though it seemed to be largely what was heard in the film, with a few minor tweaks here and there.

Weird about "Nero Sighted" since that's not where it actually starts...

I'm really looking forward to tonight, last night's crowd was fantastic and I wonder what or if they'll pull another after credit treat tonight...Ode to Vengeance maybe? Since it's the only cue that no-one has heard officially/performed live.

Also my hunch is that either Alice Eve or Cumberbatch will do the intro tonight with Giacchino.

Did they play "Harrison Attack" like in the film or was it as heard via complete score? Oh and what about Parts 2 and 3 for "Earthbound and Down"?