Star Trek & Into Darkness & Beyond - Live to Projection

TownerFan

Also my hunch is that either Alice Eve or Cumberbatch will do the intro tonight with Giacchino.

Would be cool. 12 minutes to go. :)

Karol

The score for STID hasn't appealed to me as much as the first one, so I didn't bother booking this one. Plus getting back home at midnight isn't fun.

I'm sure it'll be great though - the orchestra last night was superb - it seemed to come together a little better than Gladiator, although I wonder how much of that was down to the re-orchestration need. And the atmosphere in the RAH was electrifying whenever the music took centre stage. (huge round of applause a few seconds into the opening logo).

Actually, the guy to my right seemed far from enthralled by Gladiator, taking his phone out at one point. But no doubt, the audience was loving Trek and the music :)

Dammit that one on hell of a moment to end on, slap bang middle of my favourite cue. (excluding the two Odes) They may replay the cue from the start like they did last night...who knows haha.

Crowd tonight is fantastic too, lots of laughs, scream and cheer at My Name is

was hilarious

:D

And that cliffhanger was resolved beautifully by an Ode to Harrison reprise...

That was even better than last night, what a fantastic effort from all! Absolutely amazing.

And for those wondering they played the Apes suite again. Likely that they'll do the same for the showings tomorrow.

And the atmosphere in the RAH was electrifying whenever the music took centre stage. (huge round of applause a few seconds into the opening logo).

Actually, the guy to my right seemed far from enthralled by Gladiator, taking his phone out at one point.

Gah! Stupid audience!

The Dawn of the Planet of the Apes snippet sounded more impressive played live. But it still feels like he's been there before... Lost... Let Me In... We'll see, it's just a teaser after all.

Karol

Just arrived home. Great to see the two films (almost) back to back with a really enthusiastic audience. The stamina and ability of the 21st Century Symphony and Ludwig Wicki never cease to amaze me.

Just arrived home. Great to see the two films (almost) back to back with a really enthusiastic audience. The stamina and ability of the 21st Century Symphony and Ludwig Wicki never cease to amaze me.

Did they play "Harrison Attack" and the three parts of "Earthbound and Down" like as heard in the complete score or how it was in the film?

And they played some Lost for a change (Parallelocam/Oceanic 6/very end of the show) with chorus. :)

And yes, Jim. The orchestra was amazing, especially that they're essentially playing one evening after the other. Shouldn't surprised me, really. They do a lot of these concerts in a year.

Oh I really liked how Mind Meld sequence worked with music. It would have been great to have that in film.

Karol

Into Darkness seemed to be closer to what we hear in the film than Star Trek. I did like the additional choir during Sub Prime Directive though (at the start as the Enterprise rises out of the water and during the main title).

• 1 month later...

Wow the concert was really great! The Mann Center is a terrific venue, and the Philadelphia Orchestra really played well.

Giacchino was here and spoke a bit before the show started. Mentioned growing up in southern NJ and showed pictures of him as a young Phillies fan. Nothing about this project or any others, and after the show he came out twice to wave but there was no encore.

The sound was great, music mixed really loud. It drowned out the dialogue and sound effects at times which is totally fine for an event like this.

Big bummer was that there was no live choir, it played through the speakers though with the other film audio.

Also no fancy booklet like those in London got.

That's all I can think of for now. Bar time!

It would have been well worth your time. Audience was great, laughed at all the big jokes and applauded at many character appearances and heroic moments.

While I'm not a massive fan of two scores, it's terrific fun to hear them in context. I've never enjoyed those two films as much as I did during those concerts.

Karol

Audience was great, laughed at all the big jokes and applauded at many character appearances and heroic moments.

That sounds like a terrible movie experience!

On 8/1/2014 at 9:41 AM, fommes said:
Audience was great, laughed at all the big jokes and applauded at many character appearances and heroic moments.

That sounds like a terrible movie experience!

Apparently it's not unusual in the US to applaud during the film, or even when the credits start to roll.

It was a movie everyone in the audience had already seen. And Giacchino encouraged us to applaud, laugh, boo, etc.

To be completely honest, and speaking as a classical musician, I hate the idea of not clapping between movements of a work (unless there is a SOLID musical reason not to) and even during the playing of virtuosic works like concerti. The reason why is that it alienates audience members. If an audience is appreciating something, then why not show that as they go along? It's fine in jazz, pop, rock, etc. Historically even opera allowed for it, heck in the old days people barely even watched the opera, it was a social event! Not a place to sit quietly for 3 hours. By pushing concert etiquette upon audiences to the point where they're confused as to when they're allowed to clap or not it just makes us seem all the more high brow and inaccessible. It's ridiculous.

Is there a place for etiquette? Of course. But some of the attitudes people have about upholding that etiquette (not necessarily here, since it know most of it is in jest) only serve to push classical music further into a niche and drives another nail into its coffin.

If you don't think an audience of Star Trek, Giacchino, live film music, or all three fans won't laugh when Bones says something ridiculous like "Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a torpedo technician", the you're out of your mind.

One of the biggest applauses was after the orchestra played their balls off at the end of Ship To Ship

The key moments of applause I remember during the first one in London were the main theme rendition during the main title, the start of the end credits, and when Giacchino's name came up in the credits.

I think it's entirely appropriate - we're not there to watch the film in the cinema - the live music is the main attraction.

But they're just a bunch of fans casually watching a movie together... with an orchestra present.

There must be standards!

If you try to sell me tickets to something where I must sit on my hands and not make a sound for three hours, I'll just keep my money and stay home. When enough people have this attitude, live classical and instrumental performances in America will be wholly dead.

If you try to sell me tickets to something where I must sit on my hands and not make a sound for three hours, I'll just keep my money and stay home. When enough people have this attitude, live classical and instrumental performances in America will be wholly dead.

This is a bit different though then the normal experience. I think there is an unspoken rule book on social etiquette depending on what you're doing. If I'm paying to see a movie in a theater for the first time during its original run, then I expect, and everyone there should, to have a relatively uninterrupted time (laughter and scares at right moments are expected).

Same with a standard concert. If I'm going to the Philadelphia Orchestra's usual home to see a Beethoven symphony during the subscription season, then you are amongst the normal crowd for that type of thing. Everyone observes the unspoken rules.

But The Mann Music Center is an outdoor venue, people have purchased a ticket to a movie that was released the previous year, and that the wide majority already saw, and it doubles as a concert experience. This was designed specially as a family and community event. To not anticipate that many people, in that type of atmosphere, to clap and cheer is a bit ill-planned.

Do you survey everyone in the theater to ensure it's their first time, too? Heaven forbid someone saw a midnight viewing days before you went on Sunday and knew exactly when to cheer.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Very typical Gia fans there.

I always thought Brian Tyler was supposed to be the chaviest of all composers? ;)

Karol

I'm currently waiting for Beyond Concert to start, and I'm sat next to two annoyingly talkative women who saw an advertisement for Jurassic Park in concert, and one said "meh." And the other said "it's only one song." To which the first woman replied "yeah all you'd want to hear is the Jurassic Park theme, and that's it."

I'm gripping my seat and sweating just listening to their crap.