The Howard Shore Middle Earth Score Showdown Poll! (An Unexpected Journey vs Fellowship of the Ring, musically)

Jay

Vote for your favorite comparable track  

34 members have voted

1. 1. A long time ago....

• My Dear Frodo
    • Prologue: One Ring To Rule Them All
  2. 2. The Shire is a quite lovely place!

• Old Friends
    • Bag End / Concerning Hobbits
  3. 3. Discussions in Bag End

• Axe or Sword?
    • Keep It Secret, Keep It Safe / The Shadow Of The Past
  4. 4. Leaving Hobbiton

• The Adventure Begins
    • A Conspiracy Unmaskted (first 2 minutes) / Treason of Isengard (fist 2 minutes)
  5. 5. Early trouble!

• Roast Mutton
    • The Black Rider / Shortcut To Mushrooms
  6. 6. Chased to Rivendell

• Warg-scouts
    • Give Up The Halfling / Flight To The Ford
  7. 7. Rivendell is a quite lovely place...

• The Hidden Valley
    • Rivendell / Many Meetings
  8. 8. A Council at Rivendell

• The White Council
    • The Council Of Elrond Assembles/The Great Eye / The Council of Elrond
  9. 9. Leaving Rivendell

• Over Hill
    • Gilraen's Memorial (after the first 2 minutes) / The Ring Goes South
  10. 10. Trouble on the Misty Mountains

• A Thunder Battle
    • The Pass Of Caradhras
  11. 11. Trouble below the Misty Mountains

• Under Hill
    • Balin's Tomb (once the action starts)
  12. 12. Underground showdown

• Brass Buttons
    • The Bridge Of Khazad-Dun / Khazad-Dun
  13. 13. Climactic action

• Out Of The Frying-Pan
    • Parth Galen / Amon Hen
  14. 14. Wrap-up

• A Good Omen
    • The Road Goes Ever On... (part 1) / The Breaking Of The Fellowship
  15. 15. End Credits song

• Song Of the Lonely Mountain
    • May It Be

Two CDs hold 160 minutes (80 minutes each), which is enough to hold the complete score for each of those films.

To be fair I don't know enough about BOFA to know how much music was recorded for that one.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it has the least amount of alternates of all 3 scores.  And it had no EE cue versions.

Oh yea.  I want not only the same cues already released but without chunks removed, but also all the cues that weren't released at all, as well as other recorded versions of those cues.  Please.

Those in conversation tracks were so frustrating.

They took up space that could have been used by actual music.

There's actual music buried under them. 

They're not long enough to cover anything substantial. 

They were recorded as part of a series of video featurettes that were going to be included on a DVD that was originally going to ship with the book before it was downgraded to an audio CD.  I'd love to see all the videos somehow!

I knew there were plans for a DVD but I didn't know that that's where they came from.

Yeah, would love to see the whole lot. It'd be fascinating. 

There's probably a good deal more interview footage (and more besides?) they filmed for the DoS: EE doc that hasn't seen the light of day. Some sort of limited edition DVD (or Blu!) release containing any unseen LOTR and Hobbit interviews involving Howard and Doug, and indeed any music-related bits and pieces, is in order. Doug could sell it direct! He could make a tidy profit on the side! They could even include the legendary unseen segment where the pair run through each member of JWFan and how much they despise them, ranking them in order of hatred. From what I can gather, what they have to say about BB is frankly unfit for public consumption.

4 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Thanks Doug!

Wow! Did he post that after reading this thread?

Obviously Doug is watching us like a hawk and taking requests too! ;)

Unfortunately this also now means he'll be ready for us if we are forced to kidnap him. This could be very difficult people. Some might have to sacrifice themselves for the cause.

Oh and btw - no April Fools business regarding complete recordings releases please. A lifetime of leprosy on anyone who violates this instruction.

Totally random but the History of the Ring. What a theme. Probably up there with the Force theme as my favourite theme ever. Totes amazeballs. 

21 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Totally random but the History of the Ring. What a theme. Probably up there with the Force theme as my favourite theme ever. Totes amazeballs. 

YES.  Amazing it wasn't even a major theme of the score until late into FOTR post-production!

17 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Play F minor chord on piano with a b with the right hand, and it's amazing how it instantly evokes the theme with just the first notes.

I'm a guitarist bit a piano player ?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

YES.  Amazing it wasn't even a major theme of the score until late into FOTR post-production!

which is crazy because I pretty much think of it as the series' main theme! 

Well yes, of course it is now!  It's just incredible it wasn't one of the earliest themes written and agreed upon, and built into the score to be the main theme from the start.  Because it completely sounds like it was always intended to me (mostly through the use of tracking the few statements recorded of it for FOTR multiple times in that finished film)

I think the the opening credits and prologue were assembled was pretty late in the process.  I suppose some part of the OST or Rarities  version of the prologue music could have played over a card saying "The Lord Of The Rings", who knows.  Well, Doug knows, but I dunno if he'd log in to tell us an answer...

There's a bit in The Prophecy that sounds like it'd work alright. Don't have the time stamps though.

woud love to see a complete version of the original prologue.

16 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Unfortunately a similar thing occurred with AUJ. The theme that would score the film's title, became much more prominent in the score late in production (to the detriment of Bilbo's theme).

Heh, you're right!

Goddamn, the biggest disappointment of my entire time as a film score enthusiast is probably the replacement of some of the greatest themes Shore ever wrote (Bilbo's Theme and the Journey theme heard opening "the Edge of the Wild" OST track) with existing stuff in the final film and then not (or barely in the case of Bilbo) returning to them in the sequels... bah!