BBC Radio 3 Composer of the Week - John Williams (14-18 January, 2013)

indy4

Hi everyone

This is BBC-related, although not JW-related, other than it's film-music related (phew!).

On BBC Radio 4's website you can listen to a fascinating thirty minute programme that aired on Jan. 8th about the work of composer Debbie Wiseman in scoring a new BBC series that adapts the Father Brown detective stories that were written by G.K.Chesterton. It's really worth a listen.

James

PS: Listening to the Composer of Week programme about JW as I work. I'd never heard JW speak about his affinity for his Jane Eyre score before.

Thanks for the reminder about this. I had forgotten since it was announced some time ago. It seems you're able to listen to it on demand for the next week so hopefully everyone gets the chance to listen. It's five hours long (an hour each day)! Here is the link to listen to the first hour: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pmfg2

The problem with these type of radio programs is pretty much all the detail is too high level for die hards such as us. We've heard all this before and frankly the music excerpts are not of the highest audio quality compared to what I'm sure we already have. It is nice to be reminded of the quality of the writing though. I like how they are spending quite a bit of time on JW's concert music. Interesting personal question about how did he find his muse after his first wife's death. After taking a year off from writing, he wrote his Violin Concerto but it was really for his children's sake that he found the urge to keep going (out of necessity) and become the blockbuster composer we know and love. So in a way, thanks to his kids we have the JW today. It's nice to hear a personal response from him.

How nice to hear Adventures of Mutt get some airplay on episode 3 of the Radio 3 programme. I've always thought that Adventures of Mutt is one of JW's best, more recently composed effervescent themes from his adventure-movie body of work.

If I've understood correctly what JW explains in this third episode...

he's writing a new ceremonial piece for performance later this year :)

I'm just getting around to listening to yesterday's program.... Man! It's so nice to hear the Olympic Fanfare again in its original form, with intro, instead of preceded by Bugler's Dream. I have to say I haven't heard it that way in quite some time. I have always loved it more!

I'm just getting around to listening to yesterday's program.... Man! It's so nice to hear the Olympic Fanfare again in its original form, with intro, instead of preceded by Bugler's Dream. I have to say I haven't heard it that way in quite some time. I have always loved it more!

You should the recording on By Request. It's a great performance, and it has the original intro. There are a couple other definitive recordigns on that CD, IMO.

I had a version by the Cincinnati Pops that was on Telarc... awfully good. I should check out that By Request recording. The Boston Pops is twice the orchestra that Cincinnati is.

Well, some prefer the Erich Kunzel version, including resident JW aficionado I believe.

At what point does he talk about the Pops? Much of this interview I've heard is a lot of, I don't know, fluff? It's stuff I've heard before.

All he mentions is that there was a 6 month stint after John Williams resigned from the Boston Pops because he had creative differences with the orchestra. It was keeping to the theme that many critics of JW's music are overly dye-in-the-wool obsessed with strict classical concert music and feel that film music has no place in the concert hall. Apparently some members of the orchestra were taunting his music during a rehearsal, or something to that regard. So JW resigned for 6 months only to come back again. It's a very short bit...

I think there were some singgers at the lyrics, which admittedly are pretty snigger worthy... although I guess a professional recording session isn't the best place for such sniggers.

If that's what the interview referred to, (and I haven't listened to it yet.. saving them for the weekend), then it wasn't technically about Williams music.

Here's a link to footage of Williams telling the orchestra off during a rehearsal in 1984, which would have been the same time frame as the Boston Pops fallout:

"Should I need to justify the dignity of this orchestra". Go, Johnny!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=495894392228&set=vb.812852228&type=3&theater

Here's a link to footage of Williams telling the orchestra off during a rehearsal in 1984, which would have been the same time frame as the Boston Pops fallout:

http://www.facebook....&type=3

Wow!

Bit rich of a Pops orchestra to act all high and mighty anyway. They're not exactly playing in the Boston Symphony Orchestra, after all.

I thought the Boston Symphony IS the Boston Pops during the summer. But I might be wrong about that. They need to show him the respect he deserves - JW earned it more than most of them. Then again, it isn't that unusual to get distracted in rehearsals.

http://www.facebook....&type=3

That was great. I do love that John had something to say about what brings in the $$ when it comes to orchestras. Apparently the members of the orchestra thought they were above playing "Anything Goes" from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Serious classical musicians can be so snobby at times. Pops concerts do not give the orchestra members the right to be less professional, though.

EDIT: Wait... I misspoke... haha! That's not Anything Goes... What is it!?

EDIT 2: It's the Doodletown Fifers

Bit rich of a Pops orchestra to act all high and mighty anyway. They're not exactly playing in the Boston Symphony Orchestra, after all.

I thought the Boston Symphony IS the Boston Pops during the summer. But I might be wrong about that. They need to show him the respect he deserves - JW earned it more than most of them. Then again, it isn't that unusual to get distracted in rehearsals.

You are right, Boston Symphony is the Boston Pops, maybe some principal winds missing there.

Oh, I just love this show.

The Boston Pops incident didn't took that long to get fixed. I should check on my archives, but Williams didn't resign for that long.

The last drop was when they were rehearsing the Williams' piece, but there were problems that already came from the Fiedler era. What the incident allowed was to create a new way to make the orchestra work both as BSO and BPO and make everyone happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...