Complete Cue List: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore (Full Analysis coming soon)

Jay

Oh right - I think I noticed that at point, then forgot to note it later. I'd guess the album is edited, I doubt they'd bother to insert an Insert into the End Credits, I think they just took the whole unedited cue and stuck it in there because it was the length they needed with the tone they wanted

Well here's the thing, I don't know the scenes which they are for, so for instance, I separate the Deleted Scene cue in Axe and Sword that is right next to The Invention of Golf, I don't know what it could score, so I would have no basis for naming it, other than an uninspired "Deleted Cue #2" etc.

Well, in the film, a string arrangement of the Shire theme plays there, so I assume the CD version is just an alternate, which was later replaced.

OK, I think I just noticed two more themes in The Hobbit, one motif is first heard in Axe or Sword, and is repeated (only on CD of course) in A Good Omen.

Also in Brass Buttons, at the end, there is a choir bit, that is reprised in Out of the Frying Pan, which would (theoretically) have scored Thorin charging Azog.

So I have dubbed these two motifs:

#1: The Bilbo's Fate Theme

and

#2: Thorin's Faith (or lack therof) theme.

I don't think the end of My Dear Frodo was looped in the film. The very end of it (underscoring the last shot of Thorin forging a sword) doesn't sound like anything we hear in the track.

I think its tracked from "A Good Omen" the end of the bit in MDF sounds like the bit that leads into the Thorin theme as they look at the mountain.

So, here are pretty much all the themes I have identified:

• Main Title Theme
  • Misty Mountains Theme
  • Erebor Theme
  • Thorin Theme
  • Azog's Motif
  • Shadow over Mirkwood Motif
  • Bilbo Fussy Motif
  • Bilbo's Adventure Theme
  • Baggins/Took Theme
  • Gandalf's Theme #1
  • Gandalf's Theme #2
  • Radagast Theme #1
  • Radagast Theme #2
  • Warg Theme
  • Falling Motif
  • Goblin Theme #1
  • Goblin Theme #2
  • Thorin Faith Theme
  • Bilbo Fate Theme

And here is the scorepedia page where I (well anybody can of course) will update this list if I notice any more themes: http://en.scorepedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit:_An_Unexpected_Journey

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED FOR ACCURACY.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, what are the two goblin themes you mention? Oh and main theme??

One of them that is used in the beginning of Goblintown Escape.

The other is in the beginning of Goblintown.

Main Theme is the theme from My Dear Frodo, that reappears in A Good Omen.

I don't think a theme that appears twice on album and only once in the film deserves to be called "main theme".

Duly noted.

The word Goblin is used in the place of Orc in the Hobbit so we can't be sure what kind of creatures the goblins or Orcs assaulting the Lonely Mountain will be. I would hazard a guess that they won't be these disease ridden filth that we saw in the Goblin Town though but more closer to the Orcs we saw in LotR films. But no doubt the Orcish musical palette will accompany whatever Orcish creatures that are going to be in the next films.

I think having both the Goblins and Azog and his retinue hunt for the Company into the forest would have been redundant. In FotR they chose to cut that particular scene out, in the Hobbit I doubt there ever was such a scene of the Goblin Town creatures chasing the Thorin's company down the mountainside and into the forest.

The goblin theme at the start of under hill is absolutely brilliant, it's shame it only appears here on the album (as far as I can tell). Does it appear any other times in the film?

Agreed on the theme. I love it! If I remember correctly, it only appears once in the film as well (some variations are heard when the Goblin King tells them to search the Dwarves and when he sees the Goblin Cleaver, though).

I hope it is a full theme he will use more of.

ockquote>

I mean, in the book, the Goblins are so pissed the Dwarves killed their king that they decide to chase them after they escaped the Misty Mountains (leading to the out of the frying-pan sequence), but in the film, once the Dwarves have left the Misty Mountains, we don't hear from the Goblins again, and I honestly doubt we'll ever hear from them again in the films...ockquote>

Isn't that kind of like in the fellowship? I seem to remember the goblins were supposed to chase the fellowship out of Moria into Lothlorien I think, but the in the film it was cut. And sorry KK, I missed the word once in my sentence.

That makes more sense. I really like the theme too, and I'm hoping we'll hear more of it in The Battle of the Five Armies.

I think the Goblins will show up in the final battle again. Just because they didn't chase the Company down the trees doesn't mean they're not angry enough to join the battle.

It's the same five intervals though isn't it?

Same intervals as what?

• 3 months later...

I just figured something out:

The Pity of Bilbo and Outside are tracked, the music when Gollum is freaking out ("thief thief"!) is tracked from The Hill of Sorcery, with the Mordor theme dialed out, meaning the ending, is just the ending of The Hill of Sorcery, which was edited out of the OST track.

also I believe Where's Bilbo is the true cue, and that "Faint", the film version of "The Adventure Begins" etc, are tracked

and I have theorised, that The Edge of the Wild, is the main title music for DOS, with the Company theme appearing over "The Hobbit" logo.

Also The Dwarf Lords, is obviously for Dain's people/Thorin's Kinsfolk

oooh! the bit at the end, is most likely what originally scored old bilbo.

So, sorry bloodboal but it looks like it was just a skillfully done edit. (though the original scene might have been slightly shorter.

Also, there are some notes missing, in the Erebor theme, in MDF, on the OST it goes: AC-AD-AE CBAB, but in the film, after CBAB there are four extra notes.

And the first disc was only 58 minutes! they had the room! (though I have to say, most of the stuff microedited out were not too important, for example The World Is Ahead)

and I have theorised, that The Edge of the Wild, is the main title music for DOS, with the Company theme appearing over "The Hobbit" logo.

I really don't know about that. Putting that on a soundtrack a year in advance? Can you see them changing the music which plays over the logo for the next two films? I can't. I'm pretty certain 'Edge of the Wild' was intended as an alternate for the scene where the Company leaves Rivendell, with the Company theme kicking in around the time we see that last shot of them walking across the mountains. It doesn't quite match up perfectly but it's close enough. Furthermore, 'Edge of the Wild' corresponds with what Thorin said moments before. The second half of the track I think we all agree was meant to score part of Gandalf in the High Fells. It remains to be seen if Shore will now do something else for this sequence in DoS. I imagine he might.

The Edge of The Wild clearly was intended for the Company leaving Rivendell, as Barnald and other members before him suggested.

It probably was for the edit of that sequence when The Hobbit was going to be made in two films. We would have seen the Company leaving Rivendell, then some shots of their journey, then cut to Gandalf arriving at the High Fells.

Agreed.

I'm not sure about the two films thing. The second AUJ trailer and first Chronicles book suggest that the High Fells sequence was still in AUJ at an extremely late stage, possibly even up to October (the trailer hit in late September). Even once the films became three I think that was intended to be part of AUJ for a good few months.

Not that this makes any kind of difference really.

Yes I don't think Shore scored many finished scenes before the 2->3 film split. The High Fells scene was clearly still in AUJ until the very last minute, and "The Edge Of The Wild" is clearly the original music for the company leaving Rivendell transitioning to the High Fells scene.

BTW, I predicted that Film 2 will now open with the High Fells scene here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22585&page=29#entry870181

BTW, I predicted that you will be wrong here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22585&page=29#entry870184

With some recent info we had, I'm now convinced it will open with a flashback explaining what happened to Thrain after the battle of Azanulbizar.

They really had to change that plot point as well. Why couldn't PJ leave it alone and let it play as in the novel? Every little thing is blown out of proportion and made into a mystery and an obstacle in the films. It really begs the question where did Gandalf find the key and the map, which was glossed over in the first movie quick enough.

This thread being bumped reminds me of how much cleanup I have to do to the main post.... oi!

I have still about 7 tracks from the SE album to go before I can finish my analysis/review of the album. I am currently at the ending half of Brass Buttons. I should hurry so I can get it up before Doug gets his book out. :P

Yes I don't think Shore scored many finished scenes before the 2->3 film split. The High Fells scene was clearly still in AUJ until the very last minute, and "The Edge Of The Wild" is clearly the original music for the company leaving Rivendell transitioning to the High Fells scene.

Yup. The subtle quotation of the Witch-King's theme at e end of the cue definitely confirms that the music underscored the High Fells scene.

It's a theory i started having after looking more closely to the score. It seems Shore wrote a bunch of cues with an empty spot, then recorded various versions of the Company's theme, later for Jackson to choose between each of them for every scene. Why do I think that? Well, first, there is the whole Brass Buttons thing I just mentioned which is kind of weird. Then, there is the Roast Mutton track, which has the exact same music before and after the Company's theme statement. Yes, I know, it could be just an alternate, BUT, let's face it, the Special edition version of Roast Mutton just sounds weird. The beginning of the Company's theme statement doesn't mesh well with what comes before it, same for the end of it. It just sounds weird! Listen at 2'24 and dare tell me that it all flows flawlessy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzrhzjl3FpE

sort of like "Master Meriadoc, Swordthain"? I mean the film version sounds nasty after listening to the rarities version

Or maybe it was meant to underscore a scene with Azog. After all, if they can stick the Ringwraiths theme to him, why not use the Witch-King's theme as well? At this point, it would make perfect sense...

At this point nothing makes sense anymore. :crymore:

But yeah I am with KK on this one.