Hans Zimmer's The Thin Red Line

Uni

I was hesitant to bump this one back to the top, but it seemed the best place for this question, and the last thing I wanna do is start another Zimmer thread, so. . . .

I had a chance to pick up Zimmer's A Thin Red Line a couple of days ago. I've kinda soured on him recently—this thread miiiiiiight have had something to do with that—so I let it go. It's been quietly nagging at me since. I've heard some say it's one of his finest scores. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a chance.

So you Zimmies out there, do your best to give me an honest assessment: where does this one stand amongst his repertoire? Is it worth the buy? (Actually, I might get a better read from the borderline Zimmer fans, or even some of his detractors. If a Hans-hatin' spouter tells me this one's actually pretty good, that would serve as quite an endorsement, yes?)

- Uni

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry. That was uncalled for, I know . . . but that's just how my spellchecker corrected "zombies."

- Uni

I was hesitant to bump this one back to the top, but it seemed the best place for this question, and the last thing I wanna do is start another Zimmer thread, so. . . .

A-hem. . . .

- Uni

It's actually a wonderful score and is rather poetic in way. Zimmer may not stun you here with grand themes, but he crafts a great sound that's simply beautiful.

A-hem. . . .

- Uni

There aren't that many Zimmer threads here, and this topic has nothing to do with the thread you originally posted it to, so I thought it made sense to be its own thread. I can re-merge if you like.

No problem, Jason. I just had a laugh over it.

Although you know what allowing too many non-JW topics to pop up can lead to. . . . :rolleyes:

- Uni

Good! Took a while, but I'm finally getting a quorum going here. Sounds like this is something I should get my hands on.

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know my impressions.

- Uni

It's one of his only score where you feel and hear that it was written on paper for an orchestra instead of just layers of synths. Is there any other score of his like that? (Pearl Harbor or something like The Last Samurai is still synths and synths over each other with banging reverbed drums).

Good! Took a while, but I'm finally getting a quorum going here. Sounds like this is something I should get my hands on.

Thanks, everyone. I'll let you know my impressions.

- Uni

I take it you haven't seen the film? I tried to find the score featurette that is on Criterion's Blu on YouTube but had no luck. I think it's only about 10 minutes long but it provides some insight into the avant garde scoring process for the film.

I have not. I gather, from hearing people talk about it, is that this is a somewhat more unique and special relationship between film and score. I'm growing sincerely intrigued. I doubt that getting the score now will be enough to sate my curiosity; I'm going to have to track down the movie as well.

- Uni