My friend and I are HUGE fans of John Williams! I was surfing the internet and found your website. I thought I would run this past you.

We were both talking yesterday about the fact that there is nowhere to be found any video recordings of him conducting through a recording session. We want to know HOW he gets all those rich sounds only unique through his music. Do you have any insights? Are there any workshops that he provides? Any videos documented? Where would we find them?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you!

On iTunes and online there are some FSM Podcasts...one of the early ones discusses Memoirs of a Geisha, and some of JW's process during the recording sessions for that score.

How does he do it?

Like this . . . oh. Wait. I forgot—you can't see me. Shoot.

Well, I'll try to think of a way to describe it through prose.

- Uni

The simple answer is a lifetime dedicated to music and continued growth as a composer.

There really aren't any short cuts. And genetics play a part too. Obviously some parts of his brain are firing off a greater number of little electric charges compared to the norm. A happy congruence of a brain geared for creativity, a love of music, a rich musical childhood, and the timing of his birth giving him opportunities to learn his craft when TV required composers to compose a hell of a lot. Not to mention one hell of a work ethic.

True there are videos, short segments of him conducting the orchestra at the sessions and showing some of the fine tuning of performances and Williams giving instructions to orchestra sections or individual players. E.g. there is a video of Williams recording a new version of the NBC News theme, which I believe can be seen on Youtube, where the documentarist records some of his direction. But I do not know if any lengthy piece of footage showing him at this craft has ever been released. Steven Spielberg does tape some of the recording sessions material every time they work together.

Here is the NBC theme 9 minute documentary

We were both talking yesterday about the fact that there is nowhere to be found any video recordings of him conducting through a recording session. We want to know HOW he gets all those rich sounds only unique through his music.

To answer your question (more seriously this time), if we knew how he did it, we'd be doing it too. So would a lot of other people. The fact that no one's doing it like him testifies that his abilities—and sensibilities—are completely unique and extraordinary. So the simple answer to your question is that no one seems to know just how he does it. Good luck figuring it out.

I can tell you I've seen video of him as he's sitting at the piano, composing the scene when Han and the gang escape the asteroid in Empire Strikes Back. I've also watched video of him conducting the recording session as E.T.'s ship ascends into the heavens. (He breaks the slightest grin as the orchestra swells to its peak; you can tell he knows he's put something special together. That moment gave me chills like I've never had.) So I know such footage exists.

I keep meaning to go back and find those videos. I want to download them so I can have them on hand.

- Uni

Nice story there karelm. I think the reason why JW is not stressed out over whether IJ4 will bomb or not is because at that stage in his career he can safely ignore all that and just focus on enjoying making music, not on where will his next meal ticket would come from.

Hey I think I saw some of you guys playing on that Elmer Bernstein Concert Tribute video.

That's a really beautiful story Karlem...I found this to be particularly moving....

He told the young flautist, “you played that so beautifully, I won’t conduct you. Just play as you feel it should be played and I’ll start on bar 3”. It was something to that affect. The whole orchestra applauded her but I have to think being told something like that by JW was life changing for her.

Life changing in indeed. Thanks for sharing this.

How impacting was that wonderful story?

I dreamed it. No kidding. I had a long, very vivid dream this morning I was the one sitting in the orchestra all week while he mentored us. I knew I was going to get to meet him at the end of it all. It was about to happen, too . . . and then the alarm went off. #%&!@$#!!!

Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.

- Uni