Williams 2010 Gettysburg Music

Tom

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I never heard of this! Thanks for sharing. Did we ever discuss this on the board? I was a fairly present presence in 2010 and I have absolutely no memory of this. The music is great!

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention Tom! I was not even aware that Williams had contributed to such an endeavour.

And the music does indeed, as you said, sound like a precursor to Lincoln's sound world.

Yikes, this came out of left field! Never heard of it. I thought maybe it could have been part of AMERICAN JOURNEY or A TIMELESS CALL or something, but this seems like something new altogether that somehow managed to slip through all our radars!

Thanks for sharing, Tom.

At this point, Williams has so much Coplandesque Americana material (both for film and otherwise) that he could make a great CD set of just that material!

By the way, I'm glad to see this place has its own JW sub-section. That's my primary reason for visiting (especially the older and more obscure JW stuff).

Yikes, this came out of left field! Never heard of it. I thought maybe it could have been part of AMERICAN JOURNEY or A TIMELESS CALL or something, but this seems like something new altogether that somehow managed to slip through all our radars!

Well, not to burst everyone's bubble, but a great deal of the music in the Gettysburg video is identical to that in A Timeless Call, per a quick side-by-side comparison I just made between the two.

Plus, I found this comment on-line regarding the music, which would seem to suggest that music from ATC was re-used for this film:

"With music provided by John Williams with permission from Steven Spielberg and the Boston Pops Orchestra."

(Source - 2nd comment on the page)

The advantage with the Gettysburg video is that the audio is stereo, and the music can be relatively isolated from the voiceovers, albeit in mono or with moderate artifacts.

Well, not to burst everyone's bubble, but a great deal of the music in the Gettysburg video is identical to that in A Timeless Call, per a quick side-by-side comparison I just made between the two.

Plus, I found this comment on-line regarding the music, which would seem to suggest that music from ATC was re-used for this film:

"With music provided by John Williams with permission from Steven Spielberg and the Boston Pops Orchestra."

But on the actual video credits, in the end, it makes reference to the Recording Arts Orchestra of LA...

But on the actual video credits, in the end, it makes reference to the Recording Arts Orchestra of LA...

You're right, it does, Miguel!! Interesting. That throws a monkey wrench into things a bit. I will try to post a more thorough analysis/breakdown of the music and how it compares with A Timeless Call when I have an opportunity. May not be for a bit, though. From my quick review, the music at the beginning and at the end of the Gettysburg video lined up almost perfectly with portions of A Timeless Call; for example, the music heard at the ends of both videos are near spot-on matches, with possible microedits made in one or both.

Apparently, I don't listen to my A TIMELESS CALL video too often -- which is kinda obvious, I guess, since I only have it as a video file, not a music-only file. It's nonetheless a bit embarassing that I didn't notice, if that is indeed the case.

A Timeless Call was definitely recorded in LA, as it was reported back then by Soundtrack.net (if I remember well).

It could very well be that whoever quoted the BPO in the post above got things mixed up.