Anakin's Theme versus Across The Stars

Anakin's Theme versus Across The Stars  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is better?

• Anakin's Theme
    • Across The Stars (AKA Lovetheme From Attack Of The Clones)

I actually remember the first time I listened to Anakin's theme. I'd yet to see the film. I was delighted at how he'd (JW) turned the Imperial March on it's head. Brilliant.

for all it's flaws the Phantom Menace is John still enthusiastic about Star Wars.

It's a five star vintage in my eyes. He absolutely delivered on the Star Wars promise where his director could not. Unfortunately its quality has been dampened and stained by bitter memories. I personally haven't listened to it for ten years.

I have my new nano slightly more than half loaded. I've even got the three prequels on there. So far I've listened to TPM only. It's the original soundtrack, not the ultimate edition which I will not load.

To be honest I think I prefer Anakin's theme even more than Duel of the Fates. So in essense I'm saying it is my favorite track from the prequels. I do love the trade federation theme, love it in any of the 3 scores. (if it is in all three)

I have my new nano slightly more than half loaded. I've even got the three prequels on there. So far I've listened to TPM only. It's the original soundtrack, not the ultimate edition which I will not load.

To be honest I think I prefer Anakin's theme even more than Duel of the Fates. So in essense I'm saying it is my favorite track from the prequels. I do love the trade federation theme, love it in any of the 3 scores. (if it is in all three)

I always freakin' loved the largely unused space battle cue, which felt like a sort of Star Wars version of The Lost World's The Hunt and was just another instance where John says, "you know I'm a fucking badass movie composer with no equal, motherfuckers." Back when he used to write incidental concert pieces just because he can.

I always freakin' loved the largely unused space battle cue, which felt like a sort of Star Wars version of The Lost World's The Hunt and was just another instance where John says, "you know I'm a fucking badass movie composer with no equal, motherfuckers." Back when he used to write incidental concert pieces just because he can.

Does Sir Francis and the Unicorn count?

It IS very long ago.

Quiditch, Third Year does not feel like a concert piece to me...

Actually, you're right. Then again I was never really a fan of the score, even if I did buy it.

Does Sir Francis and the Unicorn count?

No.

I like IJ4 score more than any of the prequels.

No idea what you're talking about when you say it doesn't sound like Indy. Certainly moreso than prequels sound like SW.

Karol

"The Terminal effect" will take place eventually. Just give it a few years. ;)

Karol

Wrong Polish boy!

Ive listened to Indy 4 a lot, but never really bonded with it much. The complete score is actually more boring then the CD.

The Terminal is a score i didnt hear until a few days ago. And i really like it.

"you know I'm a fucking badass movie composer with no equal, motherfuckers."

Well put....

I find that The Adventures of Mutt shares quite a bit with Indy's First Adventure. My thoughts are that this would be on purpose. However, I don't like it nearly as much. And no, it sounds nothing like Hook, but what it does share with Hook is Williams' harkening back to the days of Korngold and Robin Hood.

That's exactly what I meant. It's Williams in swashbuckler mode... in an Indiana Jones movie :-/

You guys... always with the literal interpretations...

There is also a more literal Hook influence...the Lost Boys descending string lick.

That's exactly what I meant. It's Williams in swashbuckler mode... in an Indiana Jones movie :-/

You guys... always with the literal interpretations...

But what about Indy's First Adventure?

Doesn't sound swashbuckling to me. For example there's a recurring locomotive rhythm in there which one wouldn't typically attribute to piratey music; plus the playful young Indy theme (first heard as the old automobiles give chase across the dusty landscape) couldn't sound further from 'swashbuckling' if it tried.

I think JW knows more about swashbuckling music than you guys do...

Karol

Aside from parts of Hook, has he ever scored a pirate movie? I mean, you could make the argument that Hans Zimmer knows more about swashbuckling music than Williams. :)

I just meant he played in sessions for many of the old age composers and is very well versed in this type of music himself, having written some of it... And if he says he's referencing a certain style of music, then I'd believe him.

Zimmer has no experience writing 40's swashbuckling music, which is what we're talking about here.

But that's beside the point. I don't find it any more silly than the opening from Least Crusade or the mine car chase... Those scores jump from one style to another all the time. In fact, each one of them sounds nothing like the previous one. That's how I see it.

Karol

Karol what on earth are you going on about? What has Williams stated about his Indy 3 score in regards to "swashbuckling"? And what does it have to do with this discussion?

It seems you're disputing something laterally here.

Indy's Very First Adventure is not swashbuckling music, but it is one of the most brilliant sequences of music in JW's ouvre

I love it. He even had time to give a rhino its own theme tune. John writes better melodies for animals in captivity than other composers can muster for an entire main theme.

That's why John is an insurmountable beast, feared by Zimmer, Elfman et al.

I love it. He even had time to give a rhino its own theme tune. John writes better melodies for animals in captivity than other composers can muster for an entire main theme.

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

Not ensure I entirely agree, but that's a great way to put it. :)

Oh, yes definitely. AOTC gives The Twilight Saga a run for its money.

I really feel sorry for JW, though. Because he composed a really pretty theme. But because of its beauty and elegance, it only makes things worse...

Karol