Jurassic Park's B theme ending variations

Quintus

Otherwise known as the Journey to the Island/End Credits brass theme: the concert arrangement has the (brilliant in the film recording; weak everywhere else) When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth climatic finale, whereas the original film arrangement of the melody ends with the much shorter and rousingly predictable 'smash'.

Which do you prefer? (ignoring for the sake of this discussion the piano and strings 'warning' coda right at the end of the cue)

I always felt the big concert arrangement finale ending jarred like hell and I just don't like it compared to the far more natural and satisfying sensation of that great theme wrapping up as inevitably sudden as the piece's spirited tempo dictated it ought to all along. Indeed the Dinosaur ruled the earth addition has always felt awkwardly tacked on to this listener, an afterthought in every way. The fact that no recording since the ost has managed to recreate the power and majesty of the latter's bombastic moment as heard in the original - instead coming off as rather damp and feeble half-orchestrated copies - probably contributes to the lack of satisfaction I garner from the concert arrangement. For my money, the B theme of Jurassic Park is at its best when it ends precisely where the listener expects it to.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like 'em both. I do think the extended T-rex fanfare works rather better in the original context of the film, and I happen to be a big fan of the original ending...but I don't think it's possible to ignore the quiet material at the end of the cue. If not for that material, the ending would have felt awfully abrupt and unsatisfying.

OK I know the Jurassic park score like the back of my hand and maybe I'm just tired but I don't know what you guys are talking about. Timestamps please?

Whenever I listen to the "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" section on CD, I always sit hoping that I will hear the fat roar of the T-Rex. It certainly adds to the majesty of the whole thing.

OK I know the Jurassic park score like the back of my hand and maybe I'm just tired but I don't know what you guys are talking about. Timestamps please?

Yeah I am lost as well.

I assumed we were talking about the way Williams adapted that fanfare to become the ending of the TLW credits...

If I'm not mistaken the Jurassic Park Suite with "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth" ending was first arranged back in 1994 and first recorded by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops for their Great Fantasy Adventure Album CD.

-Erik-

I like it.

"bam bam bam bam bam bam BAM!"

I like it too. Just not on when it's tacked onto the end of the theme's concert arrangement. In the movie though it's spectacular scoring.