3 truths about John Williams not covered in the media

Augie

I don't care anymore, man.

I haven't even listened to War Horse, Tintin and Lincoln more than twice, since they were released. A kind of zero-appreciation that I had never encountered before. Everything in them has left me cold.

Every day, my appreciation for film music in general broke apart, piece by piece. Until I came to the simple realization - that I just don't love it anymore. And that was a breeze of fresh air.

Hans, is that you?

What an awesome thread.

I don't know who Hans is.

For the past 30 years, I was just pretending to love it.

Haven't read it, is the thread still satire or has it devolved unto pointless farce yet? Which is what normally happens.

It is pointless farce, and not very good pointless farce at that, because even pointless farce can be funny. :) But I have to say, he has surprisingly managed to reel a couple people in.

It's OK, soon enough someone will start a "Does Williams take his tea with or without milk?" thread and this one will mercifully die. Either that or the OP will get back on his meds and we wont see him again until the next relapse.

And you can stop talking about me while I am still logged in.

Of course it must come across as pointless farce, because I really mean it.

Is there some 12-step programme I can get into to get rid of my need/love for film music? Some kind of Anonymous Film Music Fans group or something? I think it would be good if we all aknowledged our problem together.

Actually, I have to amend what I said earlier that this is either a troll or really bad farce by a regular poster. There's a third option in that the OP may be genuinely mentally ill, and possibly under the influence of a controlled substance. In his mind, he's merely traded his Williams "addiction" for another. It's quite textbook actually.

In this case, I encourage everyone to tread very carefully, don't make any sudden movements, and by all means humour him.

No need to visit your weekly group. You must experience your own, personal illumination, I suppose. You cannot change your perspective on addiction by sheer will-power. It doesn't really work that way.

Actually, I have to amend what I said earlier that this is either a troll or really bad farce by a regular poster. There's a third option in that the OP may be genuinely mentally ill, and possibly under the influence of a controlled substance.

In this case, I encourage everyone to tread very carefully, don't make any sudden movements, and by all means humour him.

Nick66, I have only expected such a response. It's only logical.

But, really, am I the only one who got tired of film music, John Williams' or someone else's?

Never mind.

Augie; you didn't get tired of John Williams or film music.

You simply got tired of yourself.

The way you look at yourself reflects the way you look at the world around you, including the music of John Williams.

Your 'truths' merely exist in your reality right now, and it's a reality you hate.

I sincerely hope I'll never ever have to look at the world through your eyes.

Depressing.

No need to visit your weekly group. You must experience your own, personal illumination, I suppose. You cannot change your perspective on addiction by sheer will-power. It doesn't really work that way.

Actually, I have to amend what I said earlier that this is either a troll or really bad farce by a regular poster. There's a third option in that the OP may be genuinely mentally ill, and possibly under the influence of a controlled substance.

Nick66, I have only expected such a response. It's only logical.

But, really, am I the only one who got tired of film music, John Williams' or someone else's?

Never mind.

Indeed.

What depressed me was listening to all these new releases, because they tried to slow my life down.

Thank you, Stefan. That's what I meant. I should have put it like that.

What about non film music?

Reggae's lots of fun, these days. I like it a lot.

So now your life will go much faster until you die?

My life / or my brain. I had the feeling of both of them were slowing down because of the poor music.

And film music used to be very stimulating music. But it's dead.

Truth 8:

It makes no sense at all to discuss bad film music in threads like this. So let's quit visiting them. At least, that's what I'm doing now.

God bless.

Truth 8:

It makes no sense at all to discuss bad film music in threads like this. So let's quit visiting them. At least, that's what I'm doing now.

God bless.

Good luck. See you when you have your miraculous "change of heart" and love Williams again. Or when you come back telling us your account was hacked. :)

Until then, I'd ask your doctor to up the voltage.

I have been an addict for such a long time that I thought I totally needed his music. It's a one-way road. Now, I see clear. I can see the sky and the reality around me. I couldn't see the sky and reality when I was listening to the terminal, or the imperial march. And my life changed for the better.

I agree. You shouldn't be addicted to anything.

I think is rather pathetic that this individual feels he needs to post on a John Williams fan site of his revelation that John Williams and other composers' film music are not worth listening to.

I realize that I'm joining-in on this debate/conversation late, and that the OP may not even see my responses - much less respond to them - but I thought I'd give it a shot... just to prove that his realization/opinions can only be taken with a grain of salt... or completely ignored altogether.

I give you three truths about John Williams.

First truth: John Williams was basically an 80's composer. Just like Andrew Lloyd Webber, he should have stopped working in 1986, when there was still time to quit.

Second truth: Many people in the industry agree that he writes too many notes.

Third truth: The average music listeners agree that John Williams is fat and his music is too loud.

Get over it!

Basically an 80's composer? What do you mean. Mr. Williams has consistently composed masterful scores for 50+ years. But lets just consider the awesomeness of his scores to Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, and The Empire Strikes Back... all composed in the 70's. And after the 80's: Home Alone, Hook, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, The Phantom Menace, Memoirs of a Geisha, and the Harry Potter scores. Still time for him to quit? What are you talking about?

Many people agree...? What kind of truth is that? How about this: Many people disagree with your 'truth'. Writes too many notes = opinion NOT truth.

The average music listeners agree that John Williams is fat. What on Earth does that have to do with anything? Statements like this practically turn you into a troll.

His film compositions are loud when scenes in the films require such voluminous music. FYI, Mr. Williams is a masterful composer of quiet pieces also. Those compositions just aren't his most-famous.

Truth 4: He hasn't delivered one awe-inspiring movie score since E.T. Nevertheless, he has continued doing his little shtick for 30 years. John Williams is a one trick pony.

The film scores Mr. Williams composes rely heavily on the films themselves. Steven Spielberg's E.T. was a genius piece of movie-making, and John Williams composed a score for it which fit like a glove. Since E.T... I'd say, the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Return of the Jedi, Hook, Jurassic Park, and Schindler's List are his most-recent awe-inspiring works. John Williams, a one trick pony? Practically every film score fan would say that you've lost your marbles. You're entitled to your opinions, and you can have a change of heart regarding film music, but really, it was pointless to attempt to convince us that John Williams is a 'mook'.

The OP's statements have given me really too much for me to reply-to at once, but I'll be back. Granted, I know it's not really worth it. But it's somewhat entertaining, especially while listening to John Williams music. :-)

While we are learning absolutely nothing about John Williams in any of Augie's posts in this thread, we will eventually learn a lot about Augie. That is, once he lets us on the joke or it becomes certain he is not joking.

I hope for him he is joking because he speaks of John Williams like some sort of god in which he used to believe until he suddenly saw the light and found the "truth". That is no way to appreciate any artist, even for a fan. (That may be the very point Augie intends to make. If so, it's a bit heavy-handed, don't you think?)

Finally I like it that Augie mentions that John Williams writes too many notes. Some people complained to Mozart that he wrote too many notes. So I guess Augie just showed us that it takes very little provocation to start a heated thread. In fact, it takes so little - as is to be expected - that he didn't even need to display much manipulative or creative talents.

So we may have learned a couple of things about Augie already: he likes a good joke but he is a bit lazy about it! ;>)

Personally, I love John Williams and his music and I couldn't care less what anybody else thinks about him and his music. I like to share it with other people. Some people get it and some people don't. That is the way of the world and that is just fine. What music people like generally says a lot about them too.

Of course we have been feeding him.

Obviously the guy doesn't get the attention he feels he deserves in his personal life so in an effort to compensate for that he raises his voice in the only place he feels comfortable to do so: this forum. From a psychological perspective very understandable. The guy's got issues, no doubt. However; they have very little to nothing to do with John Williams and much more with his own self image, even if he doesn't realise it. His criticism is too absurd and extreme to take serious. It's a desperate cry to be heard. Feel sorry for him.

Just comeback from a skiing trip to this. It started out kind of funny, but the last 2 pages just got ridiculously absurd...

Final piece of advice:

Life's too short, so throw out all of his LPs and CDs. Or take them and melt them in a pot, like I did.

644689111_3d5b7f7d69.jpg?v=0

melted-record-boil.jpg

melted-record-steam.jpg

644691063_995935c97d.jpg?v=0

Can you show the same thing with some JW LPs?

I haven't even listened to War Horse, Tintin and Lincoln more than twice, since they were released. A kind of zero-appreciation that I had never encountered before. Everything in them has left me cold.

I would say, time to leave this forum and never come back! :D

I can't believe people are taking this is even slightest bit seriously and have spent this much time discussing and analyzing his post like it's a serious critique of William's music.

He's gotten exactly what he wanted and is laughing his ass of right now.

Indeed. I've decided that I won't be wasting any more of my time on this silliness, as I certainly have better things to do.

If Augie is done with film music, fine... his loss. I don't care... and that's the truth.