John Williams and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (November 10th, 2013)

scissorhands

Legendary composer John Williams and renowned violinist Gil Shaham join the Chicago Symphony Orchestra to perform Williams’ lush and virtuosic Violin Concerto. The work is paired with selections from some of the composer's most memorable film scores, including Close Encounters of the Third Kind, E.T. The Extra-terrestrial and Lincoln, a 2013 Academy Award nominee for which the CSO and Chorus recorded the original soundtrack. This presentation will also be seen on non-subscription special presentations on November 8 and 9.

More information at cso.org

Press release of the CSO 2013/14 season.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a pity these concerts never get a recording. The CSO is one of the best orchestras in the world! Imagine, we would have had such wonderful renditions of Williams themes and concert works under the baton of the composer himself, for many more people to hear, from the CSO, the NYPO, the LA Philharmonic etc.

I don't get why in 2013 every concert everywhere isn't recorded.

The list of reasons would contain many that have to deal with copyrights, licensing, and paying for the rights to record the music and release it in various formats. Pressing it to a CD, internet streaming, and video presentation are all different presentations and require different licenses, with different fees necessary for each.

Not that they couldn't make their money back selling a CD of Williams with the Chicago Symphony (I'd buy it!), but fees are typically nonrefundable. If you pay ALL that money for the rights to record the concert, then somebody sneezes during a flute solo or something, that abnormality makes it a less-than-amazing recording. Groups like the CSO don't want to put out a sub-par recording, so paying all those fees and just betting/hoping the concert goes perfectly isn't really worth the risk.

Of course I'm sure there's other reasons, but that's a big one, and it affects everyone from big groups like the CSO to small community bands.

Well I didn't say they should all be released, but they should at least all be recorded, so someday you COULD release them were rights etc worked out.

Oh, I'm sure it'll be recorded somehow. Getting that, on the other hand, would be difficult.

I once tried to get a recording of one of my own compositions from the Cleveland Orchestra that they had played on a 9/11 tribute, and it was more paperwork than adopting a set of twins. I also had to call a friend who knew somebody who knew somebody, etc.....and that was just for the recording of my own work, not the entire concert. Releasing their archival recordings like that could get them into similar legal issues, and sometimes they get a little paranoid about it (and rightfully so, I guess).

For one like this though, it would be wonderful if they would ever release it; the Chicago Symphony is certainly one of the greatest in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

So... I've bought tickets for the Saturday November 9 show! I plan to buy tickets for the Sunday Nov. 10 as well, but they will only start selling tickets for that next August (probably because it's part of a different series).

This is turning out my most American year ever: next month I'll spend a couple of weeks touring California with friends, while in November I'll fly to Chicago to see JW. I'll probably be broke by the end of the year... but, boy, I have means now to do this, hence better for me to jump on the wagon now! :)

I'll think about going to this. To see Williams conduct his own Violin Concerto, one of my favorites of all of his works, at this stage of his career would be something hard to pass on. Doesn't seem to jive that I miss the Baltimore concert, but I'll fly to Chicago!

I have purchased a ticket for the November 9th concert. Screw it, I'll figure everything else out later.

I approve of this philosophy and may well follow your example.

Cool, Jim! I really hope we'll meet there, then!

It would be the coolest thing ever to have a big JWFan gathering for the occasion.

Indeed! We can chase John Williams around the outside of Symphony Center again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new in this forum. I'm 19 years old and come from Germany. I will travel to Chicago in November to enjoy the concerts of John Williams. It's the first time in my life I visit the United States. So I want to ask: Is there a chance to meet Mr. Williams somewhere there to pick up an autograph or an photo?

Thanks!

Some members have been able to catch Williams on the way into or out of a concert and get an autograph. Unfortunately there's no guarantee, but it's certainly worth a try! If there are other members who have seen him in Chicago, perhaps they could give advice on where you could try waiting to meet him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Programs for the Chicago concerts announced!

November 8 & 9:

Williams Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Williams Violin Concerto
Williams Flight to Neverland from Hook
Williams Three Selections from Indiana Jones
Williams Three Selections from Lincoln
Williams Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

http://cso.org/TicketsAndEvents/EventDetails.aspx?eid=5844

November 10:

Williams The Cowboys Overture
Williams Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Williams Out to Sea and Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws
Gardel, arr. Williams Por una Cabeza (Tango from Scent of a Woman)
Williams Theme from Schindler's List
Bock, arr. Williams Excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof
Williams Flight to Neverland from Hook
Williams Three Selections from Indiana Jones
Williams Three Selections from Lincoln
Williams Adventures on Earth from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

http://cso.org/TicketsAndEvents/EventDetails.aspx?eid=5803

Can't wait! I'll be there for the Nov. 9 and Nov.10 concerts. If some fellow JWFan would like to meet up, I'll be glad!

Por una Cabeza is always fun!

Strange that they'd list it as "Tango from Scent of A Woman" when it was also in Schinder's List...

Por una Cabeza is always fun!

Strange that they'd list it as "Tango from Scent of A Woman" when it was also in Schinder's List...

It is more famous from A Scent of a Woman though. Or True Lies. ;)

All in all a traditional but none the less fantastic programme. I would love to hear the Violin Concerto live. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow JW conducting a concerto live. That sounds amazing!

My first ever Williams concert in 2003 had him conduct Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 3. I don't recall much of it but remember how natural and accurate he seemed to be while conducting.

Williams conducted a lot of "standard" classical pieces during his Pops tenure. I remember he and Yo-Yo Ma performing both Haydn's and Elgar's Cello Concerto. He also played harpsichord in one of Vivaldi's Concerto Grosso.

Looking forward to the Lincoln pieces, the concert arrangement of Marion's Theme (which I assume is in the Indy selections), and Flight to Neverland.

And most of all, the Violin Concerto.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else make it to last night's show? The Violin Concerto was beautiful, Gil Shaham did an incredible job. Made me wish all over again that I had caught the Horn Concerto in 2003. His score selections sounded as good as ever, plus there were three Star Wars encores -- "Yoda's Theme," "The Main Title Suite" (with a film montage), and "The Imperial March" -- which were a lot of fun and he did his usual cheeky back-and-forth off the stage between each one. JW looked great and in his element, though he only spoke a few times: before the Lincoln suite (talked about his love for the CSO, asking them to do the score, and Illinois being the first state to ratify the 13th Amendment, plus a few comments about each movement) and "Adventures on Earth" (talked a little about the film, particularly how much he loved the kids' performances.) Great audience too, everyone just adored him.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts from you Saturday/Sundayers :)