The Official 2013 John Williams Top 10 Film Scores.

JoeinAR

It's a more conservative list than I expected from just scanning the list, but all the winners are great scores. I would've liked to see more from the last 10 years, but I guess that's the nature of democracy.

Thank you Joey for going through the trouble of compiling and tabulating these lists!

The results clearly point to the classics as fan favourites and certainly not without reason. But it is nice to see some of the noughties titles making the lists. :)

Thats a whole discussion onto itself!

The list it good. It shows very clearly that JWs blockbuster stuff is still what lies closest in the hearts of many here.

And it also shows that his late 70s-80s scores, are the most beloved of all.. (and I would add, probably the best)

I'm surprised though about Phantom Menace that made it to that place.

I'm surprised Azkaban finished higher than Sorceror's Stone. Both are great scores, but one wouldn't exist without the other... I dunno

Yea, but Star Wars is a much smaller and shorter score than Sorceror's Stone. SS has an enourmous score with more than twice the amount of themes that Star Wars did, plus an entire half-hour suite of new concert arrangements on top of the complete score..... its a stunning achievement and I'm stunned the leaking of the recording sessions didn't make it place higher.

Thank you Joey for compiling this great list. And I'm not surprised that Williams' classics remain to be fan favourites. It's not hard to see why.

I found the list to be rather surprising myself.

two things really stood out, well three, one I've already mentioned in that AOTC got not a single vote, which in my opinion is as it should be.

The second is Close Encounters making such a large showing this time around when it did not 10 years ago

And third, Schindler's List long fall from grace out of the top 10.

I was amazed that Wojo got all the right 10 films in his list. Fozmo had 9, but Roald/Sandor had 8. A lot of us regulars had 7, Stefan, myself, Mark and others. but we all stayed old school mostly.

I found the list to be rather surprising myself.

two things really stood out, well three, one I've already mentioned in that AOTC got not a single vote, which in my opinion is as it should be.

Not surprised really. I still stand by the idea that AotC is really underrated around here, but there are just so many more great scores to place above AotC (even for fans of the score).

And third, Schindler's List long fall from grace out of the top 10.

I was saddened to see this. Still one of my favourite Williams scores.

Which Mark? Olivarez or the King?

Mark Olivarez is Mark, King Mark is KM

I had hoped Marc would have contributed but I guess he has a life beyond these days. He exists only as a memory....

Superman, Jaws, and Hook all tied with 211 points, I put Hook, Superman and Jaws as 7,8, and 9 instead of tied for 7 based on the fact that Hook got 38 votes, Superman 37, and Jaws 36, it just so happened that the weighted scores added up to 211. I wondered if Jason saw that I spelled Tintin correctly? ;)

First off, many thanks to Joey, not just for the effort involved in tabulating these scores but in making such a fine statistical presentation to go along with it. There are some fascinating trends at work here, and it's very interesting to note the changes (few though they may be) that have taken place over the last decade.

I'm pleased to see Close Encounters returning to prominence—as I think it should—but one has to wonder how much effect the thread discussing and debating its greatness, which was taking place as people were posting their lists, had on this result. Surely the conversation must've inclined some folks to reexamine their thoughts and feelings about the score. If that thread hadn't taken place, would CE3K be that high on the list. . . ?

Interesting to see both Superman and Schindler's List lose a little ground, but not really surprising. And any disappointment is offset by seeing Hook gain a spot, and to see Temple of Doom make the list for the first time. The latter is the best news I take from this whole thing.

I think the most interesting tidbit for me, though it may seem minor, is seeing Raiders displace Star Wars. It's only one spot, but I find it a particularly significant switch. Both are the first installments in their respective series, but I wouldn't be surprised if the overkill from the prequels is beginning to wear away, just a bit, at the novelty of the original.

Great stuff. Now it's time for the Top 25 Pieces list. . . !

- Uni

TOD is in the top 10, about time! (i rated TOD second place right below TESB)

What really suprises me in this and in the list 10 years ago is Jaws place in the top 10. Don't get me wrong it's a great score but there are so many other more complex and enjoyable JW scores i would easily rank above Jaws. I don't really get why this score is so loved...

I am also very happy to see War Horse, The Phantom Menace and PoA in the top 20. I consider them to be the greatest JW works post 1993.

Thanks for all your efforts Joey!

First off, many thanks to Joey, not just for the effort involved in tabulating these scores but in making such a fine statistical presentation to go along with it. There are some fascinating trends at work here, and it's very interesting to note the changes (few though they may be) that have taken place over the last decade.

I'm pleased to see Close Encounters returning to prominence—as I think it should—but one has to wonder how much effect the thread discussing and debating its greatness, which was taking place as people were posting their lists, had on this result. Surely the conversation must've inclined some folks to reexamine their thoughts and feelings about the score. If that thread hadn't taken place, would CE3K be that high on the list. . . ?

Interesting to see both Superman and Schindler's List lose a little ground, but not really surprising. And any disappointment is offset by seeing Hook gain a spot, and to see Temple of Doom make the list for the first time. The latter is the best news I take from this whole thing.

I think the most interesting tidbit for me, though it may seem minor, is seeing Raiders displace Star Wars. It's only one spot, but I find it a particularly significant switch. Both are the first installments in their respective series, but I wouldn't be surprised if the overkill from the prequels is beginning to wear away, just a bit, at the novelty of the original.

Great stuff. Now it's time for the Top 25 Pieces list. . . !

- Uni

Star Wars supplanted Raiders Uni, I was very pleased with that. I think Star Wars is often underappreciated here as a score. The love of the Empire Strikes Back cast less of a shadow now than it did 10 years ago.

Interesting about your comments on Close Encounters, I suspected that thread might influence results. I was tempted to creat a similar thread about Superman but I really didn't want to influence votes. I wanted everyone to post a list of the scores they truly loved. I trusted the greatness of Superman the score would carry through and it did.

Like Stefan I think Jaws is still underappreciated. Jaws as a score is probably the most important of John's cannon on how it makes people perceived the film. Some think it's not very listenable, I find it infinitely listenable. It's a pirate adventure horror score how could it not be listenable. It's definately not big and bold and brassy like Star Wars but hell really what is.

What I feared most did not happen. I suspected that E.T. would be supplanted from the #2 spot. Thankfully I was wrong. It does seem that E.T. is still quite a beloved film score. It's my personal favorite but it's a very emotional score so I tend to save it when I really want to listen or need to listen.

I appreciate the thanks but to be honest this was fun, and you don't have to thank me for fun.

Thank you, Joey, for your work on this!

Looks like I need to give E.T., Close Encounters, and Jaws a listen. These are the only scores in the top 20 that I haven't heard outside their respective films yet. I may finally listen to E.T. tonight in celebration of JW's birthday - I already made my edit based on a thread posted here a couple of years ago. I've been waiting until I have time to sit down and listen without any distractions.

I agree with Jason, Sorcerer's Stone is an extremely rewarding score and I was a little surprised it still comes in behind Azkaban. But it's great to see both, as well as Phantom Menace, in the top 20.

It's kind of sad about AotC, but then even if you included all 6 Star Wars scores in your list it would still be #6, so it's hard to make a case for it. I'm curious to know what other scores got zero votes.

Hook is a score that might have taken me much longer to "discover" without this forum. That's one entry in my own top 10 list that wouldn't have been there a few years ago.

when I get a chance I will list the scores that did get votes. All 67 of them. but that info is at the house.

Here are the films that made the lists.

The Rare Breed, Jane Eyre, The Reivers, The Cowboys, The Poseidon Adventure, Images, The Long Goodbye, Cinderella Liberty

The Towering Inferno, Jaws, The Eiger Sanction, Family Plot, Black Sunday

Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Fury, Jaws 2, Superman, Dracula, 1941, The Empire Strikes Back,

The Raiders of the Lost Ark, Heartbeeps, E.T. the Extraterrestrial, Return of the Jedi, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Spacecamp, Witches of Eastwick

Empire of the Sun, The Accidental Tourist, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Born on the Fourth of July, Always

Home Alone, Hook, JFK, Far and Away, Home Alone 2, Jurassic Park, Schindlers List, Sabrina, Nixon, Rosewood, Lost World, Seven Years in Tibet

Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Stepmom, The Phantom Menace, Angela's Ashes, The Patriot, A.I.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Minority Report, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Catch Me If You Can,

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Terminal, Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds

Memoirs of a Geisha, Munich, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,

The Adventures of Tintin, War Horse, and Lincoln.

Keep in mind, this list is our collective favorite John Williams scores - not necessarily the same as his best scores.

His top 6 best scores are on that list as far as I'm cocncerned.

Yea, but Star Wars is a much smaller and shorter score than Sorceror's Stone. SS has an enourmous score with more than twice the amount of themes that Star Wars did, plus an entire half-hour suite of new concert arrangements on top of the complete score..... its a stunning achievement and I'm stunned the leaking of the recording sessions didn't make it place higher.

This is true, but compared to POA and SS, The Empire Strikes Back is still more dependent on the groundwork laid by Star Wars. Outside of Hedwig's Theme and an extremely brief reprisal of Nimbus 2000, there's very little in common between the two scores, in pretty much every way. SS is certainly an enormous achievement, but almost all of it has nothing to do with POA, so it's not really accurate to say one wouldn't exist without the other.

Star Wars supplanted Raiders Uni, I was very pleased with that. I think Star Wars is often underappreciated here as a score. The love of the Empire Strikes Back cast less of a shadow now than it did 10 years ago.

Oh, shoot—y'got me! I reversed the old and new lists. My bad!

I don't think it's any less significant, though. What was it that brought Star Wars back up in people's minds? Is it possible the prequels made folks pine for the original that much more. . . ?

I appreciate the thanks but to be honest this was fun, and you don't have to thank me for fun.

We're not thanking you for the fun you had, Joe. We're thanking you for making it fun for us. (Y)

- Uni

I reckon War Horse will drop well out of the top twenty in the next one of these. It's still pretty current and so riding the new material wave of goodwill. Strictly scoring craft-wise, it's pretty substandard stuff imo, which actually feels quite strange for a Spileberg/Williams collaboration.

For me the other score of that year absolutely blows it away.

Raiders dominated the middle portion of peoples lists. I was surprised it did not get more first place votes and I was very surprised Star Wars did manage to show at third.

I was not surprised to see that Saving Private Ryan once again failed to garner many votes. It often gets good lip service but it never gathers many votes in the past.

The only score I truly feel belongs on the list is Born On The Fourth Of July. It's Williams' most powerful and beautiful work for a drama, only second to Schindler's List.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...