John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

Him saying he'd like Williams to score in no way confirms Williams' involvement. If anything, it just makes it seem more like he's doing it.

What do you guys think the odds are of Williams actually wanting to score this film? Obviously, it appears the job is his if he wants it. I'm sure JJ Abrams wouldn't mind, Giacchino has publicly said multiple times he doesn't mind, and I'm sure Disney would be on board with paying Williams fee. So the question is, I guess, does Williams have any interest in doing it? Are there any other films coming out in the summer of 2015 he'd rather score? Not that he's scored any non-Spielberg films since 2005....

Or Tintin 2. But I guess that's counts as a Spielberg production. I just hope to see him working with another director.

I could honestly see it going either way, even assuming all the other pieces fall into place (which of course isn't guaranteed). I'm still trying to keep my optimism at realistic levels. When the time comes, he may have scheduling conflicts or simple lack of interest - though what little he's said so far seems to make the latter less likely.

Still, for as long as Star Wars films are made and Williams is alive, I'll hope he ends up scoring them.

It's weird to think the last non-Spielberg JW score was Star Wars. He needs to work with more directors.

what about memoirs?

I imagine that he wants to do it, but knowing him he'll probably want to see a rough cut first, and from that he'll probably decide if he'll do it or not.

What do you guys think the odds are of Williams actually wanting to score this film? Obviously, it appears the job is his if he wants it. I'm sure JJ Abrams wouldn't mind, Giacchino has publicly said multiple times he doesn't mind, and I'm sure Disney would be on board with paying Williams fee. So the question is, I guess, does Williams have any interest in doing it? Are there any other films coming out in the summer of 2015 he'd rather score? Not that he's scored any non-Spielberg films since 2005....

Whether he actually is interested in it at all has always been the major question for me.

I think I'm split right down the center 50/50. I can't imagine seeing a star wars movie with out that opening: "a long time ago..." BAM!!! ("Star Wars" title), and JW theme literally hits you, picks you up, and takes you to "a galaxy far far away". It's chilling, it's maybe one of the most classic, powerful movie openings of all time. Could it even be a Star Wars movie without that?

On the other hand, I could totally appreciate a new look and feel, maybe a little darker, a little more modern: Star Wars with new polish and with a new coat of paint. However, I might enjoy a different score type for this, maybe Elfman, or Zimmer. If it's Giacchino, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because it would probably mostly sound like a JW imitation, and I could probably safely say, I would hate that - Star Wars with a JW imitation.

I guess my hope is either one or the other: a Classic Star Wars, with an authentic JW score, or a Star Wars with modern polish on it, and a different type score. Anything else, and I'll probably be pretty disappointing.

Oh, no matter who ends up scoring the film, I'm sure the JW main title will be retained, no question. At least for the numbered Episode movies

Oh, no matter who ends up scoring the film, I'm sure the JW main title will be retained, no question. At least for the numbered Episode movies

Really? So same opening sequence, with JW score but someone else (MG perhaps) scores the rest? I don't think i would like that, it should be either one way or the other, either traditional movie, authentic JW score, or do something new, fresh, with modern polish. It will be interesting to see, what actually happens.

do something new, fresh, with modern polish.

The did that already it sucked (though it was not exactly new, and it did reference Williams' themes)

I was thinking more something like this although this also references JW score...i guess a JW score would work in either case. :)

Really? So same opening sequence, with JW score but someone else (MG perhaps) scores the rest? I don't think i would like that, it should be either one way or the other, either traditional movie, authentic JW score, or do something new, fresh, with modern polish. It will be interesting to see, what actually happens.

Yea, like Shadows of the Empire

I was thinking more something like this although this also references JW score...i guess a JW score would work in either case. :)

Oh I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that trailer (not played SW:TOR, my comp isn't up to it). I wish they'd employed this technique to make another SW animated movie, its very nicely done and just runs circles around the end of AOTC.

JW's music was integrated well into the scene, but then I also liked McNeely's SOTE

• 2 weeks later...

That Facebook page is just a fan-run thing. They were mis-informed. JJ Abrams has NOT said that Williams is scoring the film.

Sorry, I found that video stupid in every possible way. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge Zimmer fan and am personally offended (although there's obviously a little bit of that), but because I don't think it's particularly clever as satire either. It basically boils down to childish namecalling & sandbox rhetorics.

Oh it was funny because it was so true. :lol:

:down:

Probably wouldn't be so funny if someone had done the same with a Williams video, eh? i.e. basically boiling it down to a series of 'boom-tss'-es on the music side with some derogatory, scrolling remarks about the same ol' Holst and Wagner rip-offs. Stuff like that -- strawman rhetorics -- are SOOO easy to do, but also very childish and ultimately annoying -- whether you're a fan of the composer or not.

By the way, here's a GOOD example on how to do a satire on the sound:

It was something made only for letting people have a laugh. Film score fans take things too much seriously.

No, if it's funny, it's funny. See SOUTH PARK clip above. But if there's no cleverness behind it -- like in the Kaplan video -- it just becomes childish and annoying. Big difference. It steps over the line from being funny and satirical to being offensive to Zimmer, Zimmer fans and everyone who appreciates well-directed and clever comedy.

This just in for Thor: humour isn't restricted to YOUR personal perception of it.

It basically boils down to childish namecalling & sandbox rhetorics.

Yes, and it was was very funny for it!

It was something made only for letting people have a laugh. Film score fans take things too much seriously.

No, if it's funny, it's funny. See SOUTH PARK clip above. But if there's no cleverness behind it -- like in the Kaplan video -- it just becomes childish and annoying. Big difference. It steps over the line from being funny and satirical to being offensive to Zimmer, Zimmer fans and everyone who appreciates well-directed and clever comedy.

Oh shut up!

Oh it was funny because it was so true. :lol:

:down:

You actually thought I was serious? Is this a sensitive subject for you? Could it be that the Kaplans don't hold Zimmer in as high regard as you do and that is why they created their video that expresses this with hyperbole?

The Kaplans are hilarious and their videos make me laugh no matter how many times I watch them.

This one is funny as well.

The Kaplans are hilarious and their videos make me laugh no matter how many times I watch them.

This one is funny as well.

The movie musicals they have done are brilliant. Funny guys.

Yeah, that's a good one too, Bloodboal.

You actually thought I was serious? Is this a sensitive subject for you? Could it be that the Kaplans don't hold Zimmer in as high regard as you do and that is why they created their video that expresses this with hyperbole?

I have no problem with the Kaplans disliking Zimmer and I would even be open for a satire if they had done it as cleverly as their other stuff. But this was just juvenile and offensive, IMO.

Holy crap! If this article is quoting Abrams accurately, maybe that Facebook post was right after all!

“Michael Giacchino is an incredible composer, who I was lucky enough to begin working with on Alias,” said Abrams. “He’s truly one of the most influential members of our crew, and I think this score, he really outdid himself. Again, for Star Wars, it’s very early days, but I believe that, going forward, John Williams will be doing that film, because he was there long before I was.”

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/04/30/star-wars-episode-vii-likely-to-be-scored-by-john-williams/

Wow!!!