John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

I'm happy yet also feeling kind of odd about this IF Williams truly does do the first new film. They intend to do an all-new trilogy again, right? I'd rather have either Williams do all 3 new films (obviously he probably won't be doing the spin-offs), or NONE of them. Maybe they see it as "oh, let him do the first one and we'll continue it from there", but I think it'd be more cohesive for it to be someone all-new to the franchise to tackle this all-new trilogy. It's clear that it will be it's own entity, despite it being im succession to the original trilogy's tale. Hmm... unless if Williams actually WAS interested in doing all 3 films. Who knows?

Who says Williams won't be around to score all 3?

This trilogy is coming out 2 years apart rather than the 3 years apart of prior trilogies, so they'll be all done by 2019 (Williams will be 87)

Johnny pulled rank without even having to.

I'll be pleased if it's indeed the case, and will look forward to a new Williams SW score far, FAR more than I ever did do for the second and third Lucas directed prequels. I might even get a little bit excited - what with the maestro teaming up with new blood and the potential for inspiration (and hunger) in the old vet that would surely bring.

Bring it on.

Yeah, if he decides to score all 3, totally all for it. But if he clearly ends up saying "I will only do the first one", I'll be a bit disappointed. But at the same time, I can't deny that another Williams take on the Star Wars universe would definitely be exciting nonetheless. :D

I don't know if I'm convinced. When Abrams says "he was there long before I was," he could just be talking about JW's involvement in the first 6 films. That doesn't necessarily mean he was involved in episode 7 long before Abrams. Would they really hire a composer before a director?

Abrams is used to having a composer at his fingertips, he probably doesn't have a lot of experience courting composers that are increasingly unwilling to score films, and may not know how difficult it is to get JW to say yes these days.

Still, it's a good indication that there could be some sort of official talks going on behind the scenes. I just don't think this is at all absolute. I was more hopeful when the producer of Deathly Hallows said they and JW were working on scheduling, and we all know how that turned out.

Fixed!

When Abrams says "he was there long before I was," he could just be talking about JW's involvement in the first 6 films.

That's *exactly* what JJ meant.

Still, it's a good indication that there could be some sort of official talks going on behind the scenes.

I don't think JJ would have said anything if there hadn't already been a bunch of behind the scenes decisions made.

I was about to post that same link, but it's incredibly exciting to hear.

Makes me wonder, if it does pan out, Episode VII will be the first SW film Williams records in L.A. instead of London.

Fixed!

When Abrams says "he was there long before I was," he could just be talking about JW's involvement in the first 6 films.

That's *exactly* what JJ meant.

Still, it's a good indication that there could be some sort of official talks going on behind the scenes.

I don't think JJ would have said anything if there hadn't already been a bunch of behind the scenes decisions made.

You may be right. The problem is, the justification Abrams gives for why he thinks JW will score it is that JW scored the last 6 films. It's not that there have been talks, it's not that JW has signed a contract...it's the same reason why anybody on JWFan may have thought Williams could possibly score this film. To me it sounds like speculation.

Why would you possibly think that JJ would say "I believe that, going forward, John Williams will be doing that film" unless he was pretty sure he was doing it?

Why would you possibly think that JJ would say "I believe that, going forward, John Williams will be doing that film" unless he was pretty sure he was doing it?

I think that Abrams has not yet focused on the composer, since A) there's only really 2 options and B) music doesn't come into play until post-production, and they are only just starting pre-production. I think he may have heard that JW mentioned he would like to score it (at that youth event that one of our members attended) and, not aware of JW's tendency to give polite answers and his general unwillingness to score films these days, Abrams assumed JW was on board.

Also in his statement Abrams does not say he is "pretty sure" JW will score it, as you suggest. He says he "believes" JW will score it (and he qualifies it with an "it's really too early to know for sure" comment).

I'm not saying I think JW isn't going to score it, I just don't think this is anything close to conclusion proof, especially given the DH situation.

LOL, you're nuts.

JJ Abrams would NOT have said what he said, if there had not already been discussions and decisions made behind the scenes. He would have just said something like "We'll see!" if nothing had been decided.

Jason, you seem to think Abrams promised that JW would compose. All he did was say that's what he thought (and even that statement was qualified). If JW ends up not scoring it, Abrams isn't going to look like a fool, he'll just look like he made a tentative prediction that was wrong.

I most certainly do not think that he promised anything! I think that he has been in discussion with Disney, Giacchino, and Williams, and - as he said - right now, at this early stage, he believes Williams will be scoring it. That doesn't mean there's a contract signed, it means that Abrams believes Williams will score it - like he said.

I'd say it means the decisive factor is whether Williams wants to do it. Which in my opinion was the only real question from the beginning anyway.

Williams said at a concert even before Giacchino or Abrams commented that he hoped to work on it. It's the first post in this thread.

I think it'd be more cohesive for it to be someone all-new to the franchise to tackle this all-new trilogy. It's clear that it will be it's own entity, despite it being im succession to the original trilogy's tale.

This.

It's a valid point for sure, but I'll always maintain that Williams even in his very mature years (as with all ageing artists and individuals) is only ever a young, inspirational influence away from rejuvenation and ATTACK.

Don't underestimate the potential of a master who still simmers despite himself, his bodily age.

I'd be more excited for this film if he was attached. Besides, it would be him working with a different director could re-energize him a bit.

Karol

Great point! This would be not only Williams' first non-Spielberg film in a decade, it would be his first time working with a director that he has never worked with before in a decade as well!

Now the key is, will they get this out by 2015?

I'm beginning to think they might!

I think this will come to. Above all, the people are involved are huge fans and I really think they want another John Williams Star Wars score like we do.

I'd rather prefer JW to score another JP than another SW...

Both of couse would be great.

I don't want to read too much into one quote, but Abrams seems resigned rather than excited by the notion of Williams returning.

YEWOWZA!

I wonder if it will cause another Williams style? sort of like HP/POA started his ROTS/WOTW/KOTCS style

Please support my first viral campaign!

We want John Williams to score Episode 7.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Williams-Duty-calls/141353396051414

Please leave a comment below the big picture (by courtesy of The ventriloquist),

like the page, if you agree, and share it.

Have a nice day!

Donna

I'd say it means the decisive factor is whether Williams wants to do it. Which in my opinion was the only real question from the beginning anyway.

This. It all depends on JW's will and nothing else. I'm pretty sure Lucas, Kennedy and Abrams are giving him first option, so to speak. Nobody in the world would take the assignment out of his hands without being sure he doesn't want to do it. If JW wanna do it, he'll do it. It's just that simple.

Now the key is, will they get this out by 2015?

If they were confident they would have it out by summer 2015, they would've set a date already and started casting. I think a more realistic date is December 2015 or May 2016.

Wow! There's video online of JJ's quote! Start playing at exactly 7:00

To watch him deliver the now famous quote is much different than just reading it. He gets a HUGE smile on his face after he says Williams will score it, and seems to expect the room to burst into applause. To me this seems like more of an announcement now!

I think it'd be more cohesive for it to be someone all-new to the franchise to tackle this all-new trilogy. It's clear that it will be it's own entity, despite it being im succession to the original trilogy's tale.

This.

How can any sane and serious filmmusic enthusiast not hope, wish, pray for another JW Starwars score.

I'm sorry but it's just complete utter nuts to not want another JW Starwars score while basing that on cohesiveness. Just plain fucking stupid. I mean you want cohesiveness for the minority (3 unknown films) and not for the legendary whole (6 known and 3 unknown films: The Starwars Saga). How stupid and not thought through is that!?

Wow! There's video online of JJ's quote! Start playing at exactly 7:00

To watch him deliver the now famous quote is much different than just reading it. He gets a HUGE smile on his face as he mentions John Williams, and seems to expect the room to burst into applause. To me this seems like more of an announcement now!

Well, right afterwards he says that nothing is obviously set in stone yet, even the choice of the composer. But that's natural considering the early stages of preproduction. Still this is very positive news :)

Yea watching it again, he basically spends a minute saying how brilliant Giacchino is, how integral to his team he is, how lucky he is to get to work with him.... Then quickly says but Williams will score Star Wars. It's almost like Giacchino is his first choice, and someone above him is making him use Williams.

If that's the case, I hope he goes in with an open mind, and trusts that Williams knows what he's doing.

After seeing that clip I'll go back to being skeptical that Williams will score. I'd say Giacchino is still the frontrunner.

Either composer is a win as far as I'm concerned.

Yea watching it again, he basically spends a minute saying how brilliant Giacchino is, how integral to his team he is, how lucky he is to get to work with him.... Then quickly says but Williams will score Star Wars. It's almost like Giacchino is his first choice, and someone above him is making him use Williams.

That could be. Or maybe he's just being super extra sensitive for his buddy Michael.

Watching the clip actually made me more hopeful. The "he's been here way before I have" was clearly a joke--it makes me think Abrams has a different reason to believe JW will be scoring it other than he scored the last 6 films that he's just not sharing with us (ie, he's currently in talks with Disney or has signed a contract).

Before it sounded like speculation on his part, now it sounds more concrete.

I am tentatively hopeful of Williams doing the score after all. :)

As people here have said the change of director and whole crew (George is still looming behind them all as a creative consultant though) might actually bring something refreshingly different to the whole project and energize Williams. Abrahams might actually save him from the post production tribulations that he had to face with the Prequels, which could lead to a more satisfyingly coherent score in the film itself without hacking, slashing and editing on the scale it was done in the past three films.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Abrams spent most of his response talking about Giacchino - they have an ongoing professional relationship, and he clearly is a big fan of the guy's music, and the question started out all about Giacchino's contributions to Star Trek. I would find it a lot more surprising if he had thrown in a quick sentence about Giacchino and then begun gushing about Williams. I'm sure he appreciates Williams' music (like Giacchino does), but he doesn't have the working relationship with him. At least not yet.

I remain cautiously optimistic. This latest snippet of news is certainly not a bad sign, but I think it makes sense to remember that a lot can and will happen between now and post-production.