Tom

Episode VII Poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Williams to score Episode VII

• Yes
    • No

Given the conversion in some of the other threads, I thought I would start a poll asking whether you want JW to score episode VII, whether or not he is asked and/or is interested. Given this website, one might think the answer is obvious. However, given some of the conversation, I am not so sure. So, here it is.

Who the heck would consider themselves a John Williams fan and yet not hope he scores a major blockbuster that is also a continuation of a six-part musical saga he created?

Who the heck would consider themselves a John Williams fan and yet not hope he scores a major blockbuster that is also a continuation of a six-part musical saga he created?

+1

why not, as a point of continuity it would be great. And he delivered a fine score for Return of the Jedi. The film makers of the next Star Wars will be looking to avoid the problems of the prequels and hopefully will deliver a film more in tune with Star Wars or The Empires Strikes Back.

I think the shortcomings of the prequel scores, particularly II and III, have more to do with the movies themselves, Burt's role, and Lucas's insane editing/reshoot issues. If Williams were given the opportunity for episode VII, I think we would get a score closer in spirit to VI versus I-III due to the nature of the movie and production team.

I agree with those points. If John is inspired then he should be all over them like a rash. When I listen to Phantom Menace, I hear inspiration and a genuine love for the universe and its lore. That's all I really want from a John Williams score.

I agree with those points. If John is inspired then he should be all over them like a rash. When I listen to Phantom Menace, I hear inspiration and a genuine love for the universe and its lore. That's all I really want from a John Williams score.

Indeed.

You could have said the same thing before Indy 4 was released.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls is a decent score, it delivered far more than the last two prequel scores as far as I'm concerned.

AotC, RotS, and KotCS don't reach the legendary status of their predecessors for me, but I've still hugely enjoyed them all. Even a lesser JW Star Wars score is still a treat, and if he feels compelled to write another one I'd be happy to have it. I also think that working on a big franchise with new collaborators has the potential to inspire something special from him.

The prequel scores are underrated. RotS is as good as anything JW has written, and the other two contain moments that rank amongst JW's very best.

I've noticed that the reactions to AotC on this forum greatly differ to those on other forums. AotC is another underrated JW score which has stellar moments. RotS is the weakest of the saga but also has some good stuff to offer.

Both prequel scores may not be as good as Phantom Menace, but I don't think they're quite deserving of the negativity they get from JWFanners.

Huh? Before Indy 4 was released, of course I hoped he would score Indy 4. I don't get your point?

Everyone was excited. Another JW score from one his best musical trilogies! What we got was more or less shit. Same thing happened with Episodes I-III. Same thing will happen with VII-IX.

Unless he's going to challenge himself and pull a Prisoner Of Azkaban on the franchise, I don't want him near it. Maybe working with Abrams would be enough, he hasn't stepped out of his comfort zone for nearly a decade, and I think that's mostly due to Spielberg.

This should, and deserves to be, Giacchino's film.

Huh? Before Indy 4 was released, of course I hoped he would score Indy 4. I don't get your point?

Everyone was excited. Another JW score from one his best musical trilogies! What we got was more or less shit. Same thing happened with Episodes I-III. Same thing will happen with VII-IX.

Unless he's going to challenge himself and pull a Prisoner Of Azkaban on the franchise, I don't want him near it. Maybe working with Abrams would be enough, he hasn't stepped out of his comfort zone for nearly a decade, and I think that's mostly due to Spielberg.

This should, and deserves to be, Giacchino's film.

Indy IV is a great score!

Also, whether or not a score is great has nothing to do with being a fan of a composer and hoping he will score an entry in a franchise you like

Koray should move on. Not for me, or anyone on this board, but for himself.

He's clearly lost his passion for JW and should live up to it.

I'm a huge John Williams fan, and because of that I vote no.

Unless he can deliver a fantastic and exquisite score of the caliber of the Original Trilogy and Phantom Menace, each failure will be knife in my fan heart.

If he's going to score another KotCS or RotS or AotC then I want someone else.

No John Williams score has ever been like 'a knife to my fan heart'. I've always got a lot of joy from them, even from the scores many deem mediocre.

John Williams' music is like family to me. You look for the good in them and love them enough to oversee their shortcomings. At least that's how it works for me and I think that is the fundamental difference between you and me.

My heart just doesn't allow me to trash Williams, in the same way I couldn't trash my closest family members. Call it crazy, fanboyish -- whatever. I'm happy the way I am.

And for the record; there is a lot of greatness to be found in AOTC or ROTS, believe me.

No John Williams score has ever been like 'a knife to my fan heart'. I've always got a lot of joy from them, even from the scores many deem mediocre.

John Williams' music is like family to me. You look for the good in them and love them enough to oversee their shortcomings. At least that's how it works for me.

There is a lot of greatness to be found in AOTC or ROTS, believe me.

Agreed. And even if all William's did was equal the quality of the PT scores on a new film (and I didn't like those movies but thought the scores were very strong), that would be better than any Star Wars score that anyone else could do even at their very best. That may not hold true for, example, Harry Potter, but it certainly does Star Wars. That's not say someone else couldn't score a good SW film...in fact I believe Gia could (and probably will). But on the same level as JW? Um, no.

That doesn't mean I think Williams will score the next film, I doubt that he will. But I believe if he wants it the job should be, and will be, his. And my guess would be he'd be Abram's first choice as well...the guy is, after all, a huge Star Wars fan and despite any composers he'd worked with in the past, I'd be very surprised if Williams was not at least informally offered the job.

I don't have time to find ways to appreciate "meh". Give me good music or stop wasting my time.

He's done that with almost every score of the 21st century, with one or two exception.

I don't have time to find ways to appreciate "meh". Give me good music or stop wasting my time.

He's done that with almost every score of the 21st century, with one or two exception.

So you can see why, as a fan, I would rather preserve John's current hit-miss ratio, especially when it comes to Star Wars than to see him miss another one.

It's painful to see a great person serve up functional works.

I still find John's functional stuff to be superior to most of the other biggies good stuff.

seriously if Giacchino gets to score this and serves up something like 2009 hell that will be worse than John giving us second helpings of AOTC with ROTS.

Now if he gets the gig and gives us Up quality that's different.

Obviously, John Williams should score this, if he so desires.

Musically speaking, I feel overwhelmingly unexcited at the thought of another composer being offeref the gig, unless it be someone skilled and gifted enough to pay homage to the style of these scores, yet blessed with enough artistic authority to put his/her stamp on it.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening with any of the "usual suspects" in Hollywood... (There are of course some who could tread elsewhere entirely, and that might be a preferable route to take in this case)

Koray should move on. Not for me, or anyone on this board, but for himself.

He's clearly lost his passion for JW and should live up to it.

Oh fuck off. Lost my passion? I probably never had passion for him in the first place, or any composer. It's just music. My passion lies with cinema, the art form that encompasses all aspects of filmmaking. Your blind love for the man allows you to forgive shortcomings, while I don't bother with an autopilot effort.

I always find, one of the most interesting parts of listening to a score, is hearing music for deleted scenes, different cuts etc.

Obviously, John Williams should score this, if he so desires.

Musically speaking, I feel overwhelmingly unexcited at the thought of another composer being offeref the gig,

That's funny because I reached a point where I feel overwhelmingly unexcited at the thought of John Williams having yet another go at a classic series that should have been left in peace. After AotC, RotS and Indy IV, I've learned my lesson.

Frankly, I find that Williams has better and more creative things to do in his remaining years than trying, yet again, to capture a sound he has forsaken 20 years ago.

Also, frankly, it feels somewhat embarassing, like an old animal at a circus that is dragged into the arena to show off his one trick, for nostalgia's sake. Just like the nostalgia pop the Star Wars main titles get at concerts.

Williams' Star Wars music was buried with Phantom Menace, and is now an antiquity like an old table; you treasure it and like to show it off, but you wouldn't actually have dinner on it.

I voted yes, but immediately after I did, it felt wrong.

Seriously, I don't mean to offend anyone, but someone who goes like "it could introduce Williams to a new generation" or "if not Williams, then someone who can do his style" or "Star Wars isn't Star Wars without John Williams" clearly didn't hear the bell.

It tolled three times in 2005.

If Lincoln made me realise anything, then that John Williams isn't a part of the industry anymore. He may say he is open for projects, but the truth is that the industry is going in a direction that is completely opposite to his. If this is good or bad can be discussed, but this is first and foremost a state of reality.

And if Disney wants to make Star Wars for the future, and wants to market it as the new Star Wars, bringing in JW is the wrong move. There may be folks who think Williams can invent something new for it - he just won't.

For god's sake, let the man pursue musical projects in which he actually has something to say, and don't have him become a pawn in Disney's plan to milk the Star Wars franchise!

John Williams' music is a bottle of fine wine that was opened some time ago, and it's emptying, so please choose the last sips wisely.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree that Williams should pursue whatever tickles his imagination! But if -for perhaps nostalgic reasons- that be another score for (yet) another chapter of the SW franchise, then so be it (personally, I hope he devotes his time to concert music, and especially more chamber music).

Being a fan, actually one grounded in reality, means you're not afraid to be critical when you find something subpar. Williams is my favorite composer, but not everything he touches is a masterpiece.

If Williams is offered the job, fine, maybe JJ can coax a Phnatom Menace out of him.

We don't need another score like AOTC, although I'd say the odds of this film being much more interesting than that disaster are very strong.

However if Giacchino scores it I won't be upset. His Star Trek scores is far more interesting than Williams last 2 prequel scores.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree that Williams should pursue whatever tickles his imagination! But if -for perhaps nostalgic reasons- that be another score for (yet) another chapter of the SW franchise, then so be it (personally, I hope he devotes his time to concert music, and especially more chamber music).

I've actually been consistently impressed by his concert works of late, so I would gladly take more of those over another Star Wars.

He may say he is open for projects, but the truth is that the industry is going in a direction that is completely opposite to his. If this is good or bad can be discussed, but this is first and foremost a state of reality.

And so perhaps we're pining for the good old days? For something that can never again manifest itself? Even the most passionate, fanboy-est part of me can't deny that possibility.

On the other hand—and this is something that's been on my mind quite a bit recently—given that we're citing at least two of the three prequels and the fourth Indy movie as precedent, is it just as possible that we're underestimating John a tad based on the source material he's been forced to compose for?

Here's the thing: I've only recently begun to find some measure of appreciation for the prequel scores. It led me to wonder what's taken so long . . . and that led me further to wonder if the quality of those films (which don't really deserve a place in any sentence that uses the word "quality") didn't in some way lower my regard for the music. I mean, I can say that the scores were the only decent thing that came out of that debacle, but that in itself leads me to consider the music merely "decent." My impression of the prequels was so overwhelmingly bad that I have to believe some of that rubbed off on my impression of what Williams composed. Only now, as I've finally reached a point where I can wash the awful taste from my mouth and analyze the music by itself, can I see some of the brighter spots that I've missed until now.

And it's also worth wondering whether our dear Maestro—who's no undiscerning idiot himself—didn't have the same reaction to the movies the first time he watched them that many of the rest of us did. What if, after seeing TPM, he said to himself, "Wow . . . that sure didn't feel like a Star Wars movie, did it? Kind of a disappointment, after all these years." What if his reaction got worse with each installment? But he's been hired to do a job, see. What's he gonna say to Lucas? "I think your movie sucks?" Hardly. He'd do the best he could with what he was given. He'd keep his opinion to himself and try his damnedest to spin some kind of gold from rotten straw. There are, however, only so many ways you can appealingly underscore a complete turd.

The same goes for Indy 4. We all know these films were letdowns, that they completely failed to capture the spirit of their predecessors. So why do we blame Williams for not being able to capture that spirit himself in spite of the letdowns he was charged with scoring?

All of which leads me to my point: What if Abrams and Disney surprise us all and manage to create a series of movies that are almost more like the originals, in tone and "spirit," than the originals themselves? Might Williams be better able to weave a grand tapestry in the classic SW style if he had that to work with? And if he wasn't given the chance . . . wouldn't we always be left to wonder if he could've?

- Uni

I'm encouraged by Abrams' self-professed love for classic Star Wars, and by the fact that his work tends to be much stronger than the prequels. I don't think we're going to see a repeat of those. And while I do believe that Williams will never again produce a score that sounds quite like his best works of the early 80s (no matter how excellent the film may be), I'd very much like to hear how Williams would tackle a new Star Wars film that truly inspired him.

On an unrelated note...I've graduated upward in Blume's read/skim priority list! It's probably sad that I feel as accomplished as I do.

On an unrelated note...I've graduated upward in Blume's read/skim priority list! It's probably sad that I feel as accomplished as I do.

That list represents the chief striving of my existence.