The longest melody/theme ever written by John Williams..?

Sandor

I think From Malice Toward None - the entire melody - lasts about one minute before it's completely resolved, and therefore might be the most long-lined theme Williams has ever written, at least for a film score.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke and Leia. But that's because I typically count the french horn solo as the first half of the melody and the woodwind part that comes after the second half of the melody, eventually leading to the bridge in the upper strings and then a repeat of the complete two-sectioned melody (cello section followed by full orchestra).

Are we measuring this via number of notes or duration?

Yeah, notes could work, but given the nature of film music I think duration is a bit more fair.

Another really long-lined theme is the 'trumpet theme' from Born On The Fourth Of July, heard in its longest form during The Homecoming.

What a gorgeous melody BTW.

Good one publicist. The love theme from The Patriot is indeed one of Williams' most long-lined melodies. The complete theme runs 1.20 minutes, so it might actually be the longest...

Yes, I know. Raiders is a very long melody if you include both sections of it. In the concert it takes about a minute long before it comes back to the first phrase.

Karol