La La Land re-releases THE FURY!

Oskar

The carousel music not found on the OST being in this release is very much desired by me. The VEEERRRY dated source music as well. Absolutely love it. I recently read the book that the movie is based on (same writer, and the novel is a bit darker, more in-depth with all of the characters and back-stories, and different climatic scenes), and the score played in my mind through to the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I was working in nearby Balham yesterday so out of curiosity took a lunchtime stroll over to All Saints Church in Tooting, where the LSO recorded the album version of The Fury. The church was locked so unfortunately I did not get the chance to have a butcher's inside, but it does look impressive from the outside with a rather gothic style of architecture (I understand that the church dates from the early 20th century, built between 1903 and 1906). I inevitably found myself humming the main title music as I approached - it somehow seemed like the perfect venue to record such a score, if you know what I mean.

2814877_0dbf43e3.jpg

2814867_d817bd79.jpg

I too am loving this new release, by the way, not least the extra source music, some of which reminds me very much of one the unreleased bits of source music from Miles's pool hall in Earthquake.

Finally received this today. It really does sounds good - the album that is, haven't listened to a film score track yet.

It's also good to see this score get so much love these days. I first heard it when I bought the old regular release in the late 90s. At that time, a few people on the internet praised it as one of Williams' best, if atypical scores - while everyone else seemed to hate it and call it Williams' worst score.

Surprised you'd buy Jane Eyre and The Fury but not Home Alone 2, as that's the one with the most unreleased music

Finally received this today. It really does sounds good - the album that is, haven't listened to a film score track yet.

It's also good to see this score get so much love these days. I first heard it when I bought the old regular release in the late 90s. At that time, a few people on the internet praised it as one of Williams' best, if atypical scores - while everyone else seemed to hate it and call it Williams' worst score.

I was hooked on the score from the time I first heard the main title on the old OST album. :)

Due to budgetary reasons I have not gotten the new version yet. I'll post my thoughts once I do. :)

• 2 weeks later...

There is No reason to keep either old version of The Fury, the LLL release is definitive

I forgot to ask this before. How are the liner notes? More detailed than on the Varese release?

If you have an actual copy, I'd keep it until the LLL version goes oop.

Then try and make a profit.

I'm still on the fence, I haven't bought the LLL. The Varese release sounds fine to me.

• 2 years later...

Ok, bumping this thread because there is a thing that is bugging me for years.

What is Hester's theme and is there a theme to begin with?

Is the theme the clarinet theme heard in that track?

or the strings melody at 0.29-0.46?

The thing is I could never imprint that clarinet "theme" in my head!

It just seems descriptive writing and not a thematic one.

I've also read in the original Varese notes that in the original scoring logs Williams had named it " Love in the Camper".

I am not sure if he renamed it, or someone else renamed it.

So, maybe there isn't any theme to begin with, and it's just underscore writing?

Just an album name.

Odd that Varese and LLL would keep the album name instead of using his original cue name for their Disc 1 of the sets.

Your definition of a theme is rather narrow perhaps. Its does have to mean melody.

On the contrary, i have a very wide definition of theme.

Even 2 chords can be a theme (the Mountain vision motif in Close Encounters).

But I can't find anything thematic and characteristic in this clarinet melody.

Just an album name.

Odd that Varese and LLL would keep the album name instead of using his original cue name for their Disc 1 of the sets.

Yes, i thought so too, but in the liner notes of Varese it says (5m1) Hester's theme.

And then it says that little information about how it was named originally.

Oh, unless Hester's theme was never the title of the cue, and the label just used it for the reader to find his way in the tracks.

Ah, so the title changed between sketch score and recording log?

Who knows, man. Maybe at the time he thought he'd use the clarinet melody again for Hester in another scene, then didn't.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but take a look at this:

1957668_10152106509840326_1617675709_o.j

This has nothing to do with the main titles of The Fury (or the Fury theme itself).

So, maybe this is an early unrecorded version?

Or this passage is used elsewhere in the soundtrack in another cue?

I'm not so aquainted with the complete music.

• 1 year later...

I'm watching this movie (and therefore hearing the score) for the first time tonight but I had to pause to come say that main theme reminds so much of the main melody of Prokofiev's Violin Concerto No. 2.

Especially when the orchestra takes the melody at 1:33.

Anyone else hear it?  I apologize if this an observation made many times before. I'm not familiar with this score at all.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Finished the movie and I loved it. The score is incredible. Geez I wish this wasn't out of print

The LLL version isn't out of print, just temporarily out of stock (for months on end...). There is a difference.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Finished the movie and I loved it. The score is incredible. Geez I wish this wasn't out of print

Also remember to listen the LSO re-recording (the original OST album) if you have the chance. It is an incredible re-imagining of the score in listening experience form. And Williams composed a full string adagio of the main theme as Epilogue specifically for that disc, which is on disc 2 of the LLL set.

I suggest you keep an eye on the LLL site and snag a copy as soon as they become available again. It is a magnificent score indeed.

9 hours ago, amh1219 said:

The LLL version isn't out of print, just temporarily out of stock (for months on end...). There is a difference.

This is correct. I think it's coming back before the end of the year IIRC

It's definitely a grower. It was in '78.

I don't have the LLL set.

Is there any source music on it?

On 15/03/2013 at 0:09 PM, Incanus said:

Due to budgetary reasons I have not gotten the new version yet. I'll post my thoughts once I do. :)

Have you bought it, yet?

14 hours ago, Richard said:

It's definitely a grower. It was in '78.

I don't have the LLL set.

Is there any source music on it?

Have you bought it, yet?

12 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

I am pretty sure he has what with his post being 3 years ago.

Yup I bought this set as soon as my finances allowed.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Thank you for that, Jay, it's very informative.

7 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I see no reason to get this version when I have both Varese releases.

After looking at what's on the LLL release, I'd say that this is an essential purchase. 

If, however, you're happy with the Varese releases, then...

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Yup I bought this set as soon as my finances allowed.

Yes, but you didn't tell us when you bought it.

11 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I see no reason to get this version when I have both Varese releases.

Better sound. If you want to listen to the OST and not just to the LSO recording, the LLL is a must have, as the OST programme on the new release sounds a hundred times better.

The LLL may have better sound (I don't know, I haven't heard it and had in fact forgotten that it existed), but I think the sound even on the original Varese release was fine. I was once sent the Varese 2CD set as a gift, which thankfully included the original soundtrack (all I ever play). For this release, they had also cleaned up the sound, so with that I'm MORE than set. The way I see it, the LLL was a complete waste of money and resources.

1 hour ago, Selina Kyle said:

How much better could the LLL version possibly sound? It's probably just louder.

The soundtrack recording (i.e. the other one, not the album, which Thor likes to call the "original soundtrack") sounds quite bad on the Varese set.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Yes, but you didn't tell us when you bought it.

You are very inquisitive my good fellow. It was later in 2013 if I remember correctly.