Currently, which 5 JW scores do you most want to get the expanded edition treatment...?

Josh500

Simple question, and I am only talking of official releases (LLL, Varese Sarabande, etc), needless to say.

For me:

1. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (a proper one this time!)

2. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

3. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Oh man! Just the thought of these...

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

2. The Lost World

3. Jurassic Park

4. The Adventures of Tintin

5. The Terminal

Some other ones (Harry Potter 1 & 2, SW prequels, etc) would be there instead if not for the recording sessions/video game leaks. I still want those expanded properly of course, but its more important to get expanded the ones that have had no leaks of any kind

Hmmm that's true, I think I would like proper remastered versions of the original Star Wars trilogy before anything other than Hp3 and Lost World!

CEOTTK

Doesn't this already have an expanded edition release?

I don't know that I could limit it to just 5 scores, Wow, this is so hard.

Well, the first 5 that come to your mind! :)

Some other ones (Harry Potter 1 & 2, SW prequels, etc) would be there instead if not for the recording sessions/video game leaks. I still want those expanded properly of course, but its more important to get expanded the ones that have had no leaks of any kind

Agreed!

CEOTTK

So does The Phantom Menace, which you placed as your number 1.

CEOTTK

Yeah, but what's wrong with the CE3K edition that we already have?

1. HP:POA

2. AotC

3. RotS

4. Temple of Doom

5. Jurassic Park

I eventually fell behind trying to edit the Star Wars prequels together from the video game files. I do have a good Phantom Menace edit, but my AotC and RotS edits are lacking, so official releases would be nice. I'm happy with what we have for HP 1 and 2 for now, though it'd be good to have professional masters and the few remaining missing tracks.

I'd also like Last Crusade and RotJ redone.

I'd also like Last Crusade and RotJ redone.

TLC isn't quite complete, which is a shame. But other than that, I think it's a great release.

I would want to see expanded editions of JW scores which haven't been re-released yet...

I'm very thankful for the ToD and LC releases we got, but they're some of my favorite scores, so I'd still rather get an even more complete release and fill in the remaining gaps in those scores.

What a crazy world we live in where some of the biggest franchises JW has scored look like the last ones that'll get a complete official release!

CEOTTK

It isn't complete.

I'm very thankful for the ToD and LC releases we got, but they're some of my favorite scores, so I'd still rather get an even more complete release and fill in the remaining gaps in those scores.

What a crazy world we live in where some of the biggest franchises JW has scored look like the last ones that'll get a complete official release!

Well, there are some still missing, sure, but JW fans have been treated to many many great expanded (or complete) releases over the past years, so I don't think we can complain. Jaws, E.T., Star Wars trilogy, Indiana Jones trilogy, Superman, Home Alone 1 and 2, CE3K, etc.

But eventually, I am pretty sure we'll get 'em all! It's only a matter of time. :)

CEOTTK

It isn't complete.

Ah ok!

Well, there are some still missing, sure, but JW fans have been treated to many many great expanded (or complete) releases over the past few years, so I don't think we can complain. Jaws, E.T. Star Wars trilogy, Superman, Home Alone 1 and 2, CE3K, etc.

But eventually, I am pretty sure we'll get 'em all! It's only a matter of time. :)

I'm sure we will. And the wait does make each expanded release all the more exciting. It's good to have time to digest each one.

I will say it's a little harder to appreciate some scores when the first version you hear is the expanded version. This is true for me with 1941 and the Home Alones.

1) Any Starwars score except Episode IV (good remaster for TESB and RotJ and complete prequels!)

2) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3) The Lost World

4) Jurassic Park

5) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

1. the Star Wars saga

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3. The Adventures of Tintin (including the original 2010 cues)

4. Indiana Jones trilogy

5. Jurassic Park duology

Eschewing most of the big guns, my top five most wanted expansions look something like this as of this Tuesday:

The Eiger Sanction

Earthquake

The Lost World

Dracula

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (to include music from the 1980 special edition plus any other extra bits and pieces and alternative versions)

There are of course several completely unreleased Williams scores I would like to see.

I'd also love for Dracula and Jaws II to get re-issued, even if not expanded, since they are the only major JW scores I don't own on physical CD. They go for way too much on the secondary market

For me, proper versions of...

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

Revenge Of The Sith

Then if I really had to pick two more...

Jurassic Park

The Lost World Jurassic Park

Obviously in an ideal situation properly remastered versions of the Original Trilogy would be great too.

1. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

2. Memoirs of a Geisha (recording sessions would be amazing, there's sure to be tons of alternates and variations on such a performance based score)

3. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

4. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

5. Seven Years in Tibet (same as Geisha)

I've we're talking about *expansions*, specifically, then this is somewhat doable. My list probably goes roughly like this:

- Jurassic Park

- The Lost World

- The Phantom Menace

- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

If we're talking proper remasters as well, add these:

- Star Wars OT

- E.T. (album & score)

- Dracula

- Jaws (album & score)

- Jaws 2

- The Cowboys

- Hook

Dracula and Jaws 2 might make the first release, but I can't remember the missing music. And I have no idea what might be missing from The Cowboys.

1) Jurassic Park

2) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

3) E.T.

4) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

5) A.I.

and the SW trilogy of course.

POA and TLW top the list for me. I'd really like proper complete releases of the Star Wars prequels as well...but properly remastered complete releases for the original trilogy are even more important to me. All three scores could sound so much better than they do on the RCA releases.

1. Jurassic Park

3. War Horse

4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

5. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Expanded PT scores would have to be the priority, the absence of proper, complete releases for these scores is a pretty glaring omission.

After that maybe HP1 & HP3, but other than the PT scores, I'm fairly satisfied with the current releases for the Williams scores I care about the most.

Ya I'm not sure why Sony just doesn't release the intended editions for the Star Wars Prequel scores. We all know and they know there are NO re-use fees since they were recorded in London.

Hell if they took a look at the Star Trek market (not sure if they do), then they would see that complete versions of popular scores sell good.

The complete intended Star Wars Prequels WOULD sell good if they released them. They probably haven't sold very many copies of the Original Trilogy scores since they keep re-hashing them like every 5 years or something like that.

Ya I'm not sure why Sony just doesn't release the intended editions for the Star Wars Prequel scores. We all know and they know there are NO re-use fees since they were recorded in London.

Hell if they took a look at the Star Trek market (not sure if they do), then they would see that complete versions of popular scores sell good.

The complete intended Star Wars Prequels WOULD sell good if they released them. They probably haven't sold very many copies of the Original Trilogy scores since they keep re-hashing them like every 5 years or something like that.

It's got to be a Lucasfilm thing. I'd think if Sony could they would have put out proper editions of these scores a long time ago. Either that or some idiot there just got really spooked at the poor reception of the Phantom Menace fiasco and misread people's complaints about it.

I'd hope that with the Disney acquisition there would be movement on putting these out, but the cancellation of the 3D releases pretty much tells me they don't want anything sucking oxygen away from the new films right now.

Re-releasing sucky films that sucked 10 years ago and didn't get any better over time in a format that emphasis the fakeness of everything is sucking oxygen. Releasing the complete Williams scores that most fans would drool over, however, is not.

Trent, the one factor you never consider is whether Williams wants the prequels released in full. We all know what happened the last time someone asked him about a score and he said no... (Sugarland)

Thing is, we have somewhat of a 'entitled' feeling regarding expansions, and so it seems weird when it turns out no one's working on them.

I forgot about SUGARLAND EXPRESS. Since only the main theme has been released (officially), an "expansion" is called for. I tend to view it as 'completely unreleased', but in fairness it's had that theme released, so it counts. So that would be my single pick.

I think the hope for a SUGARLAND EXPRESS release is dim as long as John Williams is around to "block it" (if there's any truth to that rumour). It's strange that both Spielberg and Williams seem to be dissatisfied with this film. Personally, I think it's fine.

The score is very good, and I'd say the film ranks amongst Spielberg's best.

Well, the theme is great and it has a couple of great tracks. But overall, it isn't that exciting. Lots of percussive "driving along"/sneaking around cues. But still.....it has such historical significance that it REALLY deserves to get a representative presentation.

The Patriot. I dare say the CD does not contain all of the music written by williams. Could be wrong though

Oh the score as presented on the OST CD is far from complete.

My top 5:

1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

3. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

4. Empire of the Sun

5. Dracula

Oh and of course the Oliver Stone trilogy would be a prime candidate for expansion.