I say this every time words of a new Bond flick roll around.

Rob Dougan would be perfect for a Bond song.

Star power? None. But the music just fits.

• 1 month later...

Yes, the score needs a better presentation, (its nowhere near as good as Barry's work, but it has some good unreleased statements of the Guitar riff)

A Zimmer Bond would be the all time low of the series. And I thought it came and went with Eric Serra.

Dada-dudu dada-dudu dada-dudu dada-dudu ...

Vomit ...

Zimmer Gunbarrel:

Dada WOOOOOOOOOOMP Dada WOOOOOOOOOOOOOMP dada dadada..... (cue overdriven Guitar)

I believe he complimented it in one of the threads.

A Zimmer Bond score would be awesome, but a Powell Bond score would be awesome-er.

Zimmer for Bond? Hell no. I don't want his idea of a 'reinvention' on that franchise.

Powell would be interesting though.

It would only be interesting if they got David Arnold back - because it would be interesting to see how a Nolan film would look like with a good score.

Look to the Bourne films and you will have Powell's take on the new Bond, with the James Bond theme added.

And yes I like Newman's score for Skyfall.

David Julyan, the guy who did The Prestige "score"?

That's him. One of the lesser noticeable scores I've heard in a film.

However, Julyan also did The Cabin in the Woods for which I couldn't wait for Varese's CD once I'd seen the film.

Dr. No's album is awful.

Dr. No's album is groovy!

Yes, it feels very unfinished and improvised, but as a piece of history and a bit of fun I think it's enjoyable fluff. I wish we had the score cues though. Some really classic pieces. I bet no one here can think of the tarantula scene without hearing Norman's evocative underscore.

I think it would be cool if the movie is a self-contained mission, where there'a great pre-credits sequence, then Bond showing up at MI6, flirting with Moneypenny, getting an assignment from M, and then going off around the globe to beat the bad guys.

That has been done to death!

And yes I like Newman's score for Skyfall.

It's terrific!

I think it would be cool if the movie is a self-contained mission, where there'a great pre-credits sequence, then Bond showing up at MI6, flirting with Moneypenny, getting an assignment from M, and then going off around the globe to beat the bad guys.

That has been done to death!

As has the personal angle.

Everything Bond has done has been done before.

It's the standard formula, sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't.

All I am saying is that that's what this iteration of Bond needs next after 3 personal stories.

I'd actually be for new adaptations of Fleming's novels. Dr. No, while quite faithful, changes more and more as it goes on. There are some interesting fantasy elements like a giant octopus that he brawls with, which is also present in Live And Let Die. I mean if there can be outer space laser shootouts and men with invincible teeth, why not? Doctor No is actually the first Bond villain in the novels to have any sort of physical deformity.

A faithful adaptation of From Russia With Love would probably be my favorite. Bond isn't even mentioned until halfway through the book.

Campbell's Edge Of Darkness is a great film. He's not at all a bad filmmaker, rather decent with spouts of greatness.

Mendes not returning is unfortunate, hopefully the huge success of Skyfall taught them that good directors with creative freedom produce success.

The original TV series (also directed by Martin Campbell) is far, far, FAR better.

Campbell's Edge Of Darkness is a great film. He's not at all a bad filmmaker, rather decent with spouts of greatness.

Mendes not returning is unfortunate, hopefully the huge success of Skyfall taught them that good directors with creative freedom produce success.

The original TV series (also directed by Martin Campbell) is far, far, FAR better.

This.

I would love for Mendes to return. The franchise needs some stability in the director's chair, and Mendes proved to do a wonderful job. Newman also proved able to handle Bond well enough that I didn't miss Arnold.

This would be excellent news, but I can't trust it. I remember other articles quoting Mendes as saying something like "Why would I want to jump right back into something I've been working on for the past 4 years?"

This says that he always wanted to do it but had other commitments.

I can't stand Conti's score, perhaps if the sound was not so thin and small, I might like it but...