• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fair enough. Guess you just go in with high expectations after Skyfall and it's Sam Mendes! I knew it didn't fare too well with critics, but I was still expecting something more.

It's not a bad film. Just not one I'd really revisit. 

Oh and Newman's score was a lot better in context. But still doesn't match its predecessor.

Trouble is the previous three films created an illusion there is more to Daniel Craig's Bond (as a character). And this film, while continuing the story somewhat, sort of contradicts that. It's too self-indulgent and not enough of its own thing. It's like The Force Awakens, but done badly (or "not as well" at least).

Karol

I was disappointed by the film chose to entice its viewers by "going into Bond's past", but there ultimately isn't much there... which is especially apparent after the level of intimacy and depth you got with this character in Skyfall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05 January 2016 at 11:59 PM, KK. said:

Fair enough. Guess you just go in with high expectations after Skyfall and it's Sam Mendes! I knew it didn't fare too well with critics, but I was still expecting something more.

Are you joking???!!! "Spectre" stamps all over "Skyfall", and goes "cock-a-doodle-do!" Good day to you, sir!

I suppose at least Spectre didn't become "James Bond meets Home Alone" halfway through the movie.

And the bad guy also didn't win because the really clever computer guru on the good guy side ended up being more stupid regarding computer security than makes any sort of sense.

Skyfall was half a good movie. Specifically the first half.

Spectre was a whole okay movie. But they still can't seem to figure out if they want "dark and gritty" or "actual fun".

So they end up doing both, which makes for a rather uneven film experience.

• 5 years later...

Here's something that's interesting and kinda funny.  Spectre opens with an exuberant Day of the Dead parade in the center of Mexico City.  The thing is, that tradition was completely made up for the movie, a parade had never been part of Day of the Dead festivities in Mexico City.  But since the movie came out.... a parade has become a tradition!  Not least because of the tourism value.  But either way, James Bond created an annual Mexican parade!

In recent years, however the festival has moved out of graveyard and private homes and into the public sphere in the form parties and parades, including an annual Day of the Dead parade – inspired by a scene from the James Bond movie Spectre.

The cavalcade of giant skulls and revelers in skeleton costumes has only existed since 2016, but has grown bigger each year. “As with everything in Mexico, if the appreciation comes from abroad, then we appreciate it, too,” said Pedro Zurita, a magazine editor in Mexico City.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/27/mexico-day-of-the-dead-festival-mainstream

On 3/21/2016 at 5:55 AM, Pieter Boelen said:

I suppose at least Spectre didn't become "James Bond meets Home Alone" halfway through the movie.

And the bad guy also didn't win because the really clever computer guru on the good guy side ended up being more stupid regarding computer security than makes any sort of sense.

Skyfall was half a good movie. Specifically the first half.

Spectre was a whole okay movie. But they still can't seem to figure out if they want "dark and gritty" or "actual fun".

So they end up doing both, which makes for a rather uneven film experience.

If I had the skills I would edit out the initial " Home Alone" scene and start with Baden arriving ( even that was gratuitous)

But, as bad as that was it still had a great finale with the chase across the ice which salvaged things.

Good film.

SPECTRE was not good.