Which John Williams Piece...

brenn

Well put. Naming just one single composition is extremely difficult if not impossible. E.g. I think I could name just about every piece mentioned in this thread as moving or even supremely emotional to me.

Angela's Prayer from Angela's Ashes or The Ballroom Scene from Witches of Eastwick.

Years ago it would have been the finale from E.T., but I've over-listened to it... desensitized. :(

Mr. K

That secondary theme in ET never really did click with me. It's nice as gentle underscore, but in pure musical melody terms it doesn't stir the blood in my arms and shoulders.

Jonathan Kent's funeral (as the camera retreats up into the air), the strings there are so achingly lush and the pay off is just devine. Followed of course by Clarke's farewell as the camera once again takes flight, but this time going up and forward toward his destiny.

For me Williams is at his most emotionally effective when he brings his deep understanding of operatic mythology with him.

You Are The Pan From HOOK

Yeah, that....and any other piece where he taps into the "religious" (or spiritual sound) -- usually minor-mode and on solo woodwinds. My favourite sound of his and the main reason I'm a fan, really.

It's a stunning piece, but I'm surprised people are happy to overlook that it's lifted wholesale from Georges Delerue.

Stylistic-wise, maybe, but hardly more than that. I rather think it's more a matter of both composers having a knack for the bittersweet and melancholic.

Well, the day that I found out that I had secured a place at university I played the Throne Room and End Title from Star Wars in celebration of the fact. I have to say that With Malice Towards None is absolutely one of the most moving pieces, despite its brevity. Actually, perhaps its brevity is why it works so well.

I've also always liked I Could Have Done More from Schindler's List and I think that The Reivers suite, with narration, is very moving too. Being moved to smile is just as valuable as being moved to something more sombre of course.

In terms of pieces written expressly for the concert hall I have always enjoyed The Five Sacred Trees.

JC

PS: this is a nicely impossible task.

Maybe. I do like really like You Are the Pan, but I can never shake the feeling that its an inspired by temp track piece.

Yes, but the most stunning part of the piece (the choir section) is wholy, original, I reckon

"David and the Supermecha" from Artificial Intelligence is one of them. That score also has my favorite love theme that Williams has ever done: Monica's theme.