Film music discussion with GL.

Joni Wiljami

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to check the liner notes, but I'm pretty sure John Barry didn't use the East Bratislava Pops to record Howard the Duck.

(The joke'll be on me if I find out he conducted the West Bratislava Pops, won't it. . . ?)

- Uni

Well my original question was badly reasoned/placed but there were an article about recording the music of Finnish films in East-Europe

and the article argued even George Lucas to use these orchestras in his movies. Is that true?

Edit: the title was not very well spotted, I meant the discussion GL included, cant change it anymore?

The George Lucas produced TV series Young Indiana Jones Chronicles used the Munich Symphony Orchestra for the soundtrack recordings. Is that Eastern enough for you?

Also Red Tails, another GL produced film had the music performed by the FILMharmonic Orchestra and Choir in Prague.

Ok, thanks.

So I was wrong in that discussion. First time in my life. Shit.

And it's too bad GL, with his billions, didn't give the job for the american musicians.

Nothing's better than a European orchestra! :stick:

I cannot agree with you more Alex(I'm even working in an European orchestra) but I still think in an american production there should

be an american sounding orchestra. Greedy GL was just thinking about the profits.

And I was talking about the orchestras in Eastern-Europe. Actually they are quite decent nowdays, back then they might have been terrible.

There's a couple of U.S. based orchestras that are good ...at least ones in California. All though I'm more partial to the London Symphony orchestra. I'm glad that Lucas and Williams used that orchestra for all six Star Wars scores.

I can't think of any Eastern European orchestras in George Lucas-directed or produced movies. The Munich orchestra for YOUNG INDY is the closest, as previously mentioned, but that's Central Europe, not Eastern Europe. It seems to be London orchestras, mostly, especially the LSO.

I cannot agree with you more Alex(I'm even working in an European orchestra) but I still think in an american production there should

be an american sounding orchestra. Greedy GL was just thinking about the profits.

And I was talking about the orchestras in Eastern-Europe. Actually they are quite decent nowdays, back then they might have been terrible.

Well, the Clone wars series must be expensive to produce and they sure trying to advance tenchology to reduce the costs to make them affordable and continue with them, so getting the prague orchestra was good (heck most cartoons dont have real orcestras!).

Also Red tails was filmed on Czech republic studios and locations, also with czech SFX and other things companies so it makes sense for them to use the orchestra there. And for this film, since nobody wanted to invest on it, I think GL did the best he could with his own money.

Edit: the title was not very well spotted, I meant the discussion GL included, cant change it anymore?

All users have the ability to edit the thread titles of threads they created