Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

14 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Plus the mother in Star Trek is like so super hotter than like the mother in Man of Steel brah.

You can keep your boring blonde. I want my nasty little Jewish princess.

Zeman-Ayelet-Zurer-00003.jpg

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Don't you love the Kryptonian cow that "MOOOOO's" to proclaim the birth of the Superman?

It's the Circle of Life!

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Final trailer

No Rihanna, no Beastie Boys, tons of action

None too shabby!

I've got to admit though, I was quite amused to them taking the concept of a spaceSHIP quite that literally! Really? A wave in space engulfing the Enterprise?

Do you think there will be an Enterprise surfing on a wave as a "post credits" scene? Or perhaps as part of the Blu-ray bonus material? :lol:

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Would recommend against checking out the new TV spots. Pretty big spoiler in them. 

Here's the spot if anyone wants to spoil themselves (be kind to others here if you do)

5 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Would recommend against checking out the new TV spots. Pretty big spoiler in them. 

No idea what you're talking about.

Some moof-milker chose to spoil a part of the ending for me in conversation. Thank God it wasn't a huge spoiler (it was a 'knew-it-was-coming-since-the-first-trailer spoiler, unlike the one presented in the recent trailer which should have been kept as a reveal in the film) but it's going to mean the reveal isn't going to be as big. I won't repeat it here, but it's an obvious one anyway.

26 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

welp just saw it

I need to let it sink in, but I am ready to say its better than STID

Wow!

4 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

welp just saw it

I need to let it sink in, but I am ready to say its better than STID

You reckon it carries some TOS spirit in it like quite a few of the critics are saying?

Oh, and:

Spoiler

Have they made any changes to the Constitution Class like they did at the end of Into Darkness? I'm thinking particularly for the ship that got spoiled for me, NCC-1701-A, as I believe the Beyond changes were all in Into Darkness, taking a closer look.

well its still an action movie, but it does a lot to pay honor to TOS and had TOS-like moments

(It even references Enterprise canon by mentioning the Xindi war)

Its also not as needlessly dark a movie as STID either, which invoked 9/11 imagery for no reason

as for the spoilerquestion

I didnt notice much changes, you dont see the 1701-A on the inside. But you do get a glorious quicksped montage of its assembly.

The consitution class that takes over the movie at the end is the USS franklin

No Goldsmith movie theme

just the standard series themes

also there is no appearance or mention of Carol Marcus at all

or any scenes like her 'infamous' one

I wonder if the actress didn't want to come back, or if they never bothered asking

Is Spock Prime, Nero, or Khan referenced at all?  What about trilbbles?  Khan's magic blood?

They clearly reference the Enterprise has been on its mission for three years, she could have gotten it on with Kirk and then left for a science station at any point in between the two movies

There are no references to Nero, Tribbles, Khan or his miracle blood

There are to Spock Prime

When everyone arrives at the Yorktown space station, Spock (alone) is informed by Vulcan emissaries that Spock Prime has passed away. Though he later tells McCoy and Kirk

Seems Spock Prime was still busy helping the Vulcans settle on New Vulcan, and current Spock wants to take over his tasks. Though that would mean leaving the Enterprise

At the end of the movie he gets Spock Prime's belongings, including a foto of the old crew from the prime timeline (seems to be taken from the sixth movie)

Also Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin ('for Anton') are of course honored in the credits

You know, Into Darkness is a problematic film and screws up some things quite badly. And it's derivative. It's a bad Star Trek film. But... it's not a bad "big dumb but enjoyable action adventure blockbuster". If you can forget that Wrath of Khan ever existed, I mean... Or Star Trek, for that matter...

Karol

I still prefer it over most of the bad Trek movies (aside from TMP and Search for Spock... and may be when I am generous, Generations)

I always appreciate viewpoints that are the opposite of consensus, as long as they're genuine and not contrarian, so this review of Star Trek Into Darkness by a co-host of the popular Filmspotting podcast is very interesting to me.  He actually thinks it's the highpoint of the entire movie franchise (he even thinks Pine is superior to Shatner!).  And if I wasn't a longtime fan of the TV shows I can kind of almost see where he's coming from.

http://www.larsenonfilm.com/star-trek-into-darkness

Just now, Sharkus Malarkus said:

But how can you tell?

I can only really know if it's a critic I've read or listened to for a long time and respect, such as in this case.  As for just people around the Internet, not professional critics, it can be much harder especially with the sarcastic facade so many people keep up a lot of the time.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I can only really know if it's a critic I've read or listened to for a long time and respect, such as in this case.  As for just people around the Internet, not professional critics, it can be much harder especially with the sarcastic facade so many people keep up a lot of the time.

Oh definitely. There's just a herd mentality on the internet tends to label out unique and individual voices as contrarian (cf. Armond White), just because they don't toe the same line as the critical establishment (J. Hoberman, Marnola Dargis, A.O. Scott).

I totally forgot to pay attention to those

I am sure there were some, but I cant remember

The space scenes were gorgeous looking though

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I just realized I haven't seen a Justin Lin film since Better Luck Tomorrow

This will be my first!

Looking at his IMDB, the only things I've ever seen that he directed were his episodes of the sitcom Community.