Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

Not any where near me. I'm not counting the fake IMAX you'll find at Regal multiplexes.  The only real IMAX near me is at a science museum and if a movie is being released to IMAX in 3D then it will only show it in 3D.

Yes I was unable to find The Hobbit films near me in 2D IMAX (I think the closest was in Philadelphia), but they do exist

"Prime Minister Botha, white courtesy phone. Let me explain something to you, sparky. You got fourteen million black people and three million white people. Now does the name Custer mean anything to you?"

TWR's log, Stardate 94137.26.  I've never trusted critics.  And I never will.  I can never forgive them for the treatment of Interstellar.  It seems to me our mission to enjoy this movie and score is problematic at best.  David Ehrlich says this could be an historic occasion, and I'd like to believe him, but how on Earth can history get past people like me?

I think I have a very different relationship to online criticism than some. Treating "critics" as a monolithic group is very strange, they're just people paid (very little) to write about art, I don't trust or mistrust them.  I either find their writing consistently interesting and compelling or I don't.  I generally find Ehrlich's writing to be these things, even when I disagree with him.

Anyway, Ehrlich on Interstellar:

For all of its awkward missteps, however, Interstellar finds Nolan throwing down the gauntlet at the feet of his contemporaries with a newly confrontational zeal.

Interstellar is by far the best and most comprehensively satisfying big-budget spectacle of the year

http://lwlies.com/reviews/interstellar/

So.... they're doing some actual Star Trekking for... half a minute? And then they get ambushed, attacked and another Enterprise bites the dust.

It is just me or does this give the impression of being part of the beginning of the movie?

Maybe "blowing up the Enteprise" is their way of jump-starting a "stuck on the planet" story. I don't think I'm quite sold on that idea just yet....

I mean...that's pretty standard for 90% of Star Trek episodes. Something happens at the beginning to get them off the ship and on a planet. That's as Trek as it gets.  Destroying the Enterprise to establish stakes since it's a movie and they don't need to be back next week is also classic Trek.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

So.... they're doing some actual Star Trekking for... half a minute? And then they get ambushed, attacked and another Enterprise bites the dust.

It is just me or does this give the impression of being part of the beginning of the movie?

Maybe "blowing up the Enteprise" is their way of jump-starting a "stuck on the planet" story. I don't think I'm quite sold on that idea just yet....

I thought that was very obviously the plot of this movie from the first teasers. Still looks better than Into Darkness, IMO.

Into Darkness was actually well received critically. Of 2009 and Darkness I'll take Darkness.

21 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Into Darkness was actually well received critically. Of 2009 and Darkness I'll take Darkness.

You know I actually think I agree with you.  It was a really stupid, boneheaded decision to riff on Wrath of Khan for the story but I thought the space action-adventure stuff was more effective than in '09.

29 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

2009 is the far better film.

No. It is poorly scripted. Features a subpar score. It has good casting and a nice look except for the lens flares. But then there are the really stupid parts going back to the script. Spock witnesses the death of Vulcan. Impossible. The Romulan thinks only of revenge when he has the means at his disposal to save his world. The transporter fiasco of a plot line. I could go on and on but it would be a long rant. I'd be repeating myself.

I still hold out hope for Beyond. I think Lin's directing style will be a good fit. Just not sold on Pegg as scriptwriter and as Mr. Scott.

Crap, after lambasting this thing after the first trailer, it's shaping up so now I have to see it in the theater?  Why did they have to go and compare it to my beloved TOS....

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

It is poorly scripted.

Indeed it was! Almost as badly as Into Darkness!

Features a subpar score.

They both feature fun, disposable scores. I will admit to liking Giacchino's Into Darkness more.

It has good casting and a nice look except for the lens flares.

Again, this describes Into Darkness just as well. When I saw it in the theater, I can recall one scene where you couldn't even see Carol Marcus' face while she was talking with her father. They weren't even in space or anything!

Spock witnesses the death of Vulcan. Impossible.

Impossible? You mean like beaming oneself from planet to planet? Admittedly, warp speed can get you anywhere in a matter of minutes or hours in these movies (based on what the script requires), but with transporters that good, why would Section 31 even bother with huge warships? Just beam troops or weapons straight to your Klingon targets!

The transporter fiasco of a plot line.

See above.

I could go on and on but it would be a long rant.

So could I. Into Darkness is just depressingly unimaginative, full of boring paranoia (written by 9/11 truther y'know, and not the savvy kind...) and the very kind of sexism that Roddenberry wanted to get away from 50 years ago! At the end of the film, Kirk cautions an audience of cadets and moviegoers alike to avoid giving into vengeful desires. Why? Wanting vengeance gave Spock what it took to take out Khan...

The 2009 film was heavily flawed as well, but stupid as it was, at least it was fun.

14 hours ago, amh1219 said:

I thought that was very obviously the plot of this movie from the first teasers. Still looks better than Into Darkness, IMO.

That did indeed seem to be the case. I was kind-of holding out hope it would be closer to the climax of the film.

But oh well.... I'm still curious to see what they managed to make this time.

With a bit of luck, it'll be less pointless than Into Darkness; that should not be difficult. :P

22 hours ago, amh1219 said:

It's an easy way to separate the characters in carefully chosen groups by the writers.

It also counts as Star Trekking, we can't have them measuring the characteristics of whatever safely for two hours and come back home for dinner happily.

20 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

2009 is the far better film.

It is, but it has so little going on that... eh?

Of Into Darkness I'll take the dumb opening sequence and the Klingon planet part. There's an interesting sucession in that part of comedy, drama, a chase, Uhura being badass, Klingon ships looking cool, and the antagonist being intriguing for a single moment in the film (even Gia's theme for him works well there). Pity it's crammed into such an horribly boring script.

You can have a nonsensical movie and still be entertaining, like First Contact, but that one...

On 7/9/2016 at 1:32 PM, Stefancos said:

Uhura obviously! ;)

Yes. I like her in those movies when she's not just reduced to Spock's girlfriend role. Sadly that's almost all the time. My other option is Scotty, just because I like the character.

The opening of J.J's Trek (09) is one of the most effective and wonderfully put together opening to any film that I can recall. I adore that opening. I remember it immediately hooking me in and I even had a tear in my eye in the cinema from only 5 minutes into a film. That has never really happened to me. I really really enjoy both Star Trek and Into Darkness, and despite the dislike from some fans of anything old being renewed, the films do exactly what they need to, and perhaps it is the fault of those who look at past Trek films with such beer goggles on, because there are few that can be classed as 'great.'

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The opening of J.J's Trek (09) is one of the most effective and wonderfully put together opening to any film that I can recall. I adore that opening. I remember it immediately hooking me in and I even had a tear in my eye in the cinema from only 5 minutes into a film. That has never really happened to me. I really really enjoy both Star Trek and Into Darkness, and despite the dislike from some fans of anything old being renewed, the films do exactly what they need to, and perhaps it is the fault of those who look at past Trek films with such beer goggles on, because there are few that can be classed as 'great.'

JJ had me at, "beep beep beep beep"

I watched Star Trek 09 myself in the cinema because my then-gf insisted Star Trek died with Gene. I too enjoyed moments of joyful nerd tears early on in the film. 

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The opening of J.J's Trek (09) is one of the most effective and wonderfully put together opening to any film that I can recall. I adore that opening. I remember it immediately hooking me in and I even had a tear in my eye in the cinema from only 5 minutes into a film. That has never really happened to me.

I feel the same way about the opening of Deep Space Nine, except I didn't cry.

I also remember Giacchino's Score hit me immediately, just as much as the action on-screen. 'Labour of Love' is still one of my favourite tracks of his. There's one little moment too, I'm not sure why, but the way that the brass flares up as the Kelvin's engine fires up on its collision course, just makes me smile. It feels so... trek.

At 3:39

I've got high hopes for this one, believe it or not. I liked the vitality and visual wit Justin Lin brought to the F&F films, so I'm hoping he brings the same here to an equally staid franchise. But then I thought the hilariously unpopular teaser trailer was a breath of air (hey, I'm a Beastie Boys fan) despite being decidedly anti-Trek/Roddenberry in its aesthetics.

Oh, and the score in that clip sounds promising. The vibes/piano figure is straight out of the Herrmann-esque pallet of TMP, although Gia fucks it up with that stupid orchestral crescendo/gliss shit at the end.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I also remember Giacchino's Score hit me immediately, just as much as the action on-screen. 'Labour of Love' is still one of my favourite tracks of his. There's one little moment too, I'm not sure why, but the way that the brass flares up as the Kelvin's engine fires up on its collision course, just makes me smile. It feels so... trek.

At 3:39

It's a nice cue, but nowhere near as affecting as it should've been. It feels... small and televisual. And I cringe every time once the sound effects cut out at 2:50.

This is how you score/film a birth. Intimate, expertly shot/storyboarded/framed and scored by someone with incredible "film sense."

Destruction of Krypton is still a more emotional cue for that scene. Everything about MoS pisses me off!

Labour of Love from Trek 09 really hit me in the cinema, it was the first time I thought 'I need to buy the score as soon as possible'.

I misremembered M:i:III's CPR scene for birth, another one straight out of LOST (like Labour Of Love). In my own defense I said "almost." More accurately, he's a fan of dialing down all the SFX and letting Giacchino take over. A composer's dream, I'm sure.

I felt a great disturbance in the Forum, as if millions of brain cells suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.