Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

don't forget the igmo's too.

all of these are rejected slang from Star Trek IV.

I never heard of that one before, either, but fortunately I know how to Google for the urban dictionary definition, rather than asking for a definition in a message board. Pretty clever.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The first real bit of news from this movie sounds...PROMISING.

We're trying to set up a kind of situation where you really could — and not in just an 'everything's relative' sort of moral relativism — you could be a good person of any creed or philosophical background and come down on both sides of how you should respond to this opportunity that the crew has.... that also has some pitfalls to it. Where you could argue very, very, very compellingly that 'this' is what you should do, and if you're advocating 'this' then it's actually evil.

It's sort of the Adam and Eve thing, where should we eat the fruit or not eat the fruit? Well, there are some very compelling reasons why they should and why they shouldn't. So, similar kinds of things here that really give the whole movie and opportunity to sort of play with that, and have people come down on different sides and wrestle with it; then come to an ending where you can walk out and say, 'You know, I don't know what I would do.

Video:

• 1 month later...

That can't be good.

How often does a writer ever transition to directing and do something really special?

Shit!

I guess we can forget the next film actually having something new and interesting to say.

That can't be good.

How often does a writer ever transition to directing and do something really special?

Indeed

He's not even a good writer.

It's a bit strange that they chose him for such a big budget film. I thought the studio would have gone outside that little group of people since there were so many complaints about Into Darkness.

Three strikes and you're out I guess. Maybe this will be a nail in the coffin and no more Trek movies. Personally I felt Trek belongs on TV and not on the big screen. Ya it's nice to see it in theaters but there's just so much more that can be told that you can't do it in 2.5 hours via film.

Either way I'm not holding my breath for something spectacular for this...

Couldn't be worse than Gia's mediocre efforts. Hell it might give the composer his breakthrough score.

Couldn't be worse than Gia's mediocre efforts. Hell it might give the composer his breakthrough score.

Giacchino's scores are hardly mediocre especially for STID.

They are for me Trent, especially compared to JG and JH's contributions

Djawadi's breakthrough score was Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim, Pacific Rim, is that all you talk about Pacific Rim!? ;)

Djawadi's breakthrough score was Pacific Rim

No. Did it break into the social consciousness? No.

Fan boy stuff only.

Star Trek is a pallet to showcase your musical talent.

Or Eidelman's and McCarthy's!

Both of you make good points. It doesn't really compare to the original 10 scores.

I hate to be that prick...but screw it, I'm gonna enjoy it:

Neither work.

Try "canvas."

how about Star Trek gives the composer an opportunity to showcase his talents.

I wonder how Eidelman would do with another Trek score, especially one set in the J.J.-Verse.

Would depend on what classical pieces he was told to "adapt."

I suspect well get Giacchino again.

I would be happy with that.

With regards to Orci, I'm fount to play the "wait and see" game.

It'll either work or it won't.

As Spock told Saavic: for everything there is a first time.

Eidelman's score is the only one that I don't own. I've never made any real connection with it. Is it worth trying?

That's funny, McCarthy's score is the only one I haven't made a connection with. As for Eidelman, his score is decent enough. It's one of those that I usually only return to for the Planets-inspired overture though.

I say keep these TOS reboot sequels going to prolong the inevitable ruining of Next Generation. Actually, you know they're going to have Chris Pine meet Picard at some point and he'll teach him how to murder crew members being assimilated by the Borg.

It's one of those that I usually only return to for the Planets-inspired overture though.

Not the sign-off?

Eidelman's score is the only one that I don't own. I've never made any real connection with it. Is it worth trying?

Heavens yes! there is some underscore that can get a bit tedious, but it has a melancholy feel that I love. plus the Trailer cue shows how you can have tension without resorting to BWAAAAM! (same with the turbulent years from Nixon)

I say keep these TOS reboot sequels going to prolong the inevitable ruining of Next Generation.

NG already sucked.

• 1 month later...