Elmer Bernstein's The 10 Commandments (Intrada 6CD 60th Anniversary Collection)

Ollie

On 9/23/2016 at 9:51 AM, Jay said:

Got mine in the mail yesterday!  Ripping the CDs this morning. Thanks for the artwork links, Jay!

• 1 month later...

I was already a huge fan of the movie so of course I love it.  I've listened to it maybe 3 times in full and it's just such an enjoyable score.  It's probably my 2nd favorite Elmer Bernstein score (2nd only to To Kill a Mockingbird).

What I've listened to more is the mid-60s one disc recording which is fantastic when I'm on the go or at work and want a taste of this one.

The three disc complete score is a challenging listen.  I could do without the drumming, chanting, and singing tracks that are scattered throughout in their film positions, as a few have sound effects.  I do like the single disc rerecordings though.  

1 hour ago, petaQ said:

The three disc complete score is a challenging listen.  I could do without the drumming, chanting, and singing tracks that are scattered throughout in their film positions, as a few have sound effects.  I do like the single disc rerecordings though.  

I took that position on the chanting as well at first. Having listened a few more times, I think most of it fits. I did remove the two songs and the Obelisk stinger from my main playlists however, also substituting in the longer version of Defending the Well.

At the time of release, I called this my favorite of the year. Now I've adjusted to having it, but it's still true. And I don't consider it a challenging listen anymore either, just long. Excellent album overall!

Which two songs? Jethro's Daughters and Song of Joseph or Lilia's song?

Also a problem with removing some things is that they are used in the underscore (River god song, Song of Joseph)

I do think some things sound a little lower quality then I would like, for example the Organ cue and Sethi's Death Chant (a cue I would love to hear re-recorded)

9 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

I do think some things sound a little lower quality then I would like, for example the Organ cue and Sethi's Death Chant (a cue I would love to hear re-recorded)

I wouldn't say no to a higher quality recording of Sethi's Death Chant but I do kinda like how otherworldly and haunting it sounds as is. Like the voices of the dead piercing the veil of life or something. 

• 4 years later...

No doubt There are plans to include that in the inevitable expanded/expanded super- deluxe, archival, collectors edition.

On 11/10/2016 at 4:52 PM, Darth Wojo said:

The three disc complete score is a challenging listen. 

Try listening to the SIX CD score presentation!😵