Elmer Bernstein's The 10 Commandments (Intrada 6CD 60th Anniversary Collection)

Ollie

Now that FSM 250 has been released and not what quite a few thought it would/ should be, we can now look forward to it's upcomming release from another label.

Bruce Kimmel at Kritzerland hinted that it was in the works awhile back and now Doug Fake drops this little tidbit today at Intrada's website.

You'll be getting a spectacular presentation of The Ten Commandments before too long, so don't worry. When you hear it all, you'll elevate it from "a fine score" to one of the greatest ever. But in the meantime, definitely enjoy FSM's spectacular release for The Wild Bunch. Another one of the greatest ever.
--Doug

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5465

Outside of Dimitri Tiomkin's The High and The Mighty, this may be one of the last true grails of mine, a majestic film that was part of my Easter Sunday for more years than I can remember.

Elmer Bernstein's score ranks up along other biblical epics such as Rozsa's Ben Hur, King Of Kings and Newman's The Robe.

I read the subject and my heart leapt into my throat, believing it's release was at hand. Grrrr. This is indeed one of my favorite scores of all time, and is certainly my last film score grail to expand. I grew up quoting so much of this film, I need to rewatch it. And it was definitely one of the first movies that I noticed the music was carrying more weight than just covering up the silence.

It must be coming from La-la Land or Quartet if its not FSM, Kritzerland, or Intrada. I'd guess LLL. (I have no inside info or anything)

Doug didn't specifically say they weren't, but I think if his label were releasing it, he would have worded his post differently. I took his choice of words to imply a different label was releasing it.... but I certainly could be wrong!

I would also guess the final product is finished and possibly pressed, and they are waiting until closer to Easter to release it.

I do actually agree on both your points there - Doug seems to usually say outright if Intrada is working on something. And Easter would certainly be the window of opportunity for its release, I can see that happening.

Yeah, I think he'd be more coy and clue-dropping if it was going to be from Intrada.

LLL for Easter sounds right. That's when they released The Robe last year. (which is still getting lots of plays from me)

In any case, can't wait for this. And now I can't get that sweeping main theme out of my head.

So let it be written . . . so let it be done.

I've had a copy for years, but would love to see it get full treatment. If Mr. Hur was worthy of it, certainly this one is.

- Uni

OMG, you're right. I can't believe I completely forgot about Varese! Probably because they release so few Club titles these days....

Well, it's not coming from La-La Land! MV just posted on FSM:

we are not releasing 10 Commandments (but we are prone to breaking them every now and then)

MV

So it must be a Varese Club release then!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know more information about this here?

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/2578/Ten+Commandments%2C+The

(Soundtrack Library CD-72)

I mean, what are its sources? is it a complete score? An upcoming edition will look like it (in terms of number of tracks)?

• 2 months later...

Bruce Kimmel is talking about this release again - he says it is NOT Varese releasing it, and strongly hints that it's Intrada. But I thought based on Doug's post (quoted in the first post of this thread) that Intrada was NOT doing it, meaning it would be Quartet. But maybe I just interpreted Doug's words wrong. Elephino.

Why is Varese a likely candidate? I don't believe you can name one Paramount catalog title on Varese in the last five years, maybe more.

There's only three labels that can pull off such a project: LLLR, Varese, Intrada.

This, of course, is utter nonsense. Certainly Kritzerland could have and would have pulled off such a project had it not been gotten by another label. Anyone can pull off such a project if the project is, in fact, available to them and they WANT to pull off such a project. "There's always a first" - I don't think so or you would have seen some Paramount titles from Varese - and you haven't. You can take La La Land out of the equation and you can take us out - that leaves you with the label that's doing The Ten Commandments.

I think it's pretty obvious (at least to me - insert smiley face here) who is taking up those kinds of projects - a simple look at recent releases should tell you that. Intrada has a few Golden Age things coming from Paramount, but we have more than a few and I love doing them. In fact, I just heard two scores (which will be on one CD with some other stuff by the same composer) that are utterly charming and never before released. We've got more Young coming, more Waxman coming - we love doing this stuff.

I think if Counterpoint were going to be releasing any further stuff, it would have happened by now, but, who knows. The Shadow knows, but he ain't talkin'.

What is so hard to understand here??? :) It's NOT Varese. Period.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=95525&forumID=1&archive=0

• 10 months later...

Hello, there.

Maybe someone can help me out with this. Has there been any news as to the release of the original recordings of Elmer Bersteins' epic biblical score to "The Ten Commandments." Over the years, like with many other biblical epics of the period, the music has since seen releases in which the composer re-recorded selections of the score. However, unlike most biblical epics of the period, Elmer Berstein's original recording of his score to "The Ten Commandments" has not been released yet. If and when it is released, I think I should be done in the same format in which Film Score Monthly released Miklos Rozsa's greatest score, "Ben-Hur."

Is there any word as to the release of Elmer Berstein's score to "The Ten Commandments"?

Why has this timeless gem not been released in all its glory yet?

I have been looking forward to Elmer Berstein's phenomenal score to "The Ten Commandments" for a long time.

Sounds like it's been in the works for a long time, I wonder when it will finally get released?

When Elmer Berstein's score to "The Ten Commandments" is released, I think I should be done in the same format in which Film Score Monthly released Miklos Rozsa's greatest score, "Ben-Hur."

I have recently bought an expanded "The Ten Commandments". It's French, and it says "Le Dix Commandments". It seems to have a lot more music than my other CD, and, given the recording techniques in the 1950s, the sound in pretty clean. And it's in stereo! :)

Well, a definitive release is certainly in the works, as indicated by the quotes from the bigwigs in this thread. They must be facing some kind of massive delays

• 4 months later...

James Fitzpatrick from Tadlow just confirmed that it is indeed Intrada releasing the new set.

The Ten Commandments must be close to setting a new "in development" record by now.

Yes it must...because 3 years ago I was going to do a new complete recording of THE TEN COMMANDMENTS but was put of doing so by Intrada as they were going to issue "the ultimate" Ten Commandments set. Wish I had gone ahead with the recording now.

Still have to to a new recording of BLU MAX sometime as had all the score and pats done and a recording date set when LaLa then announce their edition...

And the Herrmann score I will be re-recording in just a few weeks will now also have a re-release just about the same time I wanted to release my recording... a case of bad timing?

Looks like record labels are falling over themselves to release as many titles are possible that the whole market is now swamped and depressed which I forecast even before Intrada started on their Ten Commandments quest....

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=106229&forumID=1&archive=0

He might still decide to re-record TTC even after Intrada's original tracks are out.

I wonder what has caused the release of the Intrada set to be delayed by so many years

Roger from Intrada just spoke up about The Ten Commandments

As others mentioned, Doug already revealed this about a year ago. This will happen, probably next year. Lots of hurdles to overcome, but could potentially be a 5-CD set. We'll see. James would probably still have time to record and release it if he really wanted to. I'm sure there's room for multiple recordings.

But yes, this is exactly why I don't like to reveal titles before their time...people get impatient and angry when things take longer than expected. That's life in the world of soundtrack production....

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=70793#p70793

As others mentioned, Doug already revealed this about a year ago. This will happen, probably next year. Lots of hurdles to overcome, but could potentially be a 5-CD set. We'll see. James would probably still have time to record and release it if he really wanted to. I'm sure there's room for multiple recordings.

But yes, this is exactly why I don't like to reveal titles before their time...people get impatient and angry when things take longer than expected. That's life in the world of soundtrack production....

The new thread title seems misleading. It will *probably* come out in 2015, and it *could* be 5 CDs.

Can't decide if I'm salivating over this upcoming grand release or the Pizza Margarita currently in front of me. (Answer: Both.) ;)

• 5 months later...

Maybe it'll be released a little closer to . . . next Easter.

- Uni

I should've said the thread would be bumped close to next Easter. . . .

Jay, I'm wondering what your link refers to. The only "little morsel" I see over there is a morsel of frustration from Fiegelson that someone opened their big trap too soon. There aren't any further details forthcoming (sadly).

Well yea, I probably used the wrong wording there. It's just nice that Roger is referring to the release at all, even though he's not really saying anything about it really.