The Complete engraved full score to EDWARD SCISSORHANDS officially released!!!

filmmusic

I agree with this. They'd have gotten a much better idea about the market potential with a more popular score than what they put out with this. Not necessarily a JW classic like E.T., for instance (which would sell out overnight, but that wouldn't be indicative of how other scores would move). However, something like Back to the Future or one of the Star Trek films, or if you wanted to go with Danny Elfman, something like Batman or Spider-Man, perhaps, would serve as much better litmus tests.

Take myself, for instance. I'd be willing to pay $75 for the engraved, full orchestral sheet music for any one of those movies I mentioned above. But Edward Scissorhands. . . ? I wasn't really interested. If I'd spent the money, it would be purely an investment in the future possibility of more and better music from people like this. As it was, I passed. Hopefully the sales they got were encouraging enough to push them to try more of the same.

- Uni

From what I know, the editor works with Danny Elfman plus it was easier to get the rights for this score.

I mean, it's not at all like :"oh, we have a choice to pick from Star Wars, Et, hook, etc. but let's release Edward Scissorhands instead"

I assume a John Williams score to be released would be nearly to impossible!

Very likely so. As a matter of fact, I would be surprised if we saw an engraved version (not transcribed) of any of his works prior to a posthumous arrangement of some sort with his people.

- Uni

I agree with this. They'd have gotten a much better idea about the market potential with a more popular score than what they put out with this. Not necessarily a JW classic like E.T., for instance (which would sell out overnight, but that wouldn't be indicative of how other scores would move). However, something like Back to the Future or one of the Star Trek films, or if you wanted to go with Danny Elfman, something like Batman or Spider-Man, perhaps, would serve as much better litmus tests.

Take myself, for instance. I'd be willing to pay $75 for the engraved, full orchestral sheet music for any one of those movies I mentioned above. But Edward Scissorhands. . . ? I wasn't really interested. If I'd spent the money, it would be purely an investment in the future possibility of more and better music from people like this. As it was, I passed. Hopefully the sales they got were encouraging enough to push them to try more of the same.

- Uni

From what I know, the editor works with Danny Elfman plus it was easier to get the rights for this score.

I mean, it's not at all like :"oh, we have a choice to pick from Star Wars, Et, hook, etc. but let's release Edward Scissorhands instead"

I assume a John Williams score to be released would be nearly to impossible!

Conrad Pope worked on this release in some form. I know he wasn't the main editor but he had involvement in it

Hi All - Editor of Omni Publishing here

Thanks for all the strong support. And apologies to anyone who missed out on Edward. Fox music publishing granted permission to sell the first 100 (through Hal Leonard who owns print rights), but then denied the second request to sell 100 more, which would have been available worldwide.

The reason Edward was the first one to be made available is because it already existed. Several years back, I engraved the whole score, bound it, and gave a copy to Danny (I'm on his prep team). After a few months pass by, I asked him if he was cool with me publishing it, just as a courtesy. and he replied yes. Hal Leonard actually denied the initial request, until I pleaded with them. They asked to see a prototype, and after reviewing it they granted me permission, and so did Fox still licensing to use the artwork on the cover. So, that's the reason Edward was the first, and only available in US & Canada because worldwide rights were more expensive, and I honestly didn't know if 100 copies would even sell. Since I'm paying for all this myself, I had to err on the side of caution. But, I've gotten rights to sell Batman, which should be ready in a couple months. Oh, and Conrad had nothing to do with this, not sure how that rumor got started. He did get a preliminary email from me, as did several others, in which I asked if the word could be spread, either by mouth, or social media.

And, there is no way studios would go for a JW score being published, he's just not interested in having a full score put out there without his creative control over it, and studios won't budge if he's not fully on board.

So, stay tuned for Batman . . .

Hi All - Editor of Omni Publishing here

Thanks for all the strong support. And apologies to anyone who missed out on Edward. Fox music publishing granted permission to sell the first 100 (through Hal Leonard who owns print rights), but then denied the second request to sell 100 more, which would have been available worldwide.

The reason Edward was the first one to be made available is because it already existed. Several years back, I engraved the whole score, bound it, and gave a copy to Danny (I'm on his prep team). After a few months pass by, I asked him if he was cool with me publishing it, just as a courtesy. and he replied yes. Hal Leonard actually denied the initial request, until I pleaded with them. They asked to see a prototype, and after reviewing it they granted me permission, and so did Fox still licensing to use the artwork on the cover. So, that's the reason Edward was the first, and only available in US & Canada because worldwide rights were more expensive, and I honestly didn't know if 100 copies would even sell. Since I'm paying for all this myself, I had to err on the side of caution. But, I've gotten rights to sell Batman, which should be ready in a couple months. Oh, and Conrad had nothing to do with this, not sure how that rumor got started. He did get a preliminary email from me, as did several others, in which I asked if the word could be spread, either by mouth, or social media.

And, there is no way studios would go for a JW score being published, he's just not interested in having a full score put out there without his creative control over it, and studios won't budge if he's not fully on board.

So, stay tuned for Batman . . .

Wow! filmmusicfan, welcome to the board! And that's for sharing that great story!

Glad to hear to hear you're all excited about Batman. All the big action cues are done, just whittling away at the smaller ones.

And I agree with the comments that although it's a great score, it's a bit more on the quirky side, Edward is. Batman has more of a mainstream appeal. It's just that I had it already engraved, and I know Danny personally, so it was the best choice. And I figured if it did well, I'd tackle Batman, which I would have done eventually anyways, even if the thought of self-publishing hadn't crossed my mind, because it's such a great score.

So, this time I smartened up and requested 200 copies be available worldwide; a bit pricey upfront, but it seems like it'll sell ok. Only problem is WB wouldn't grant the rights to use the logo on the cover of the book, which is a bummer since the Edward book had a great looking cover. But I'm sure people will buy it no matter what the cover looks like, it's about what's inside. Also, gonna see if Danny will let me interview him, which I doubt, he's so busy getting ready for his concerts. Maybe Steve will write a foreward . . .

We engage in speculation as an unwritten rule around here, because we so often don't have any real idea of what's going on behind the scenes. It's extremely rare for us to learn the facts about something like this--especially from the person who did it himself! Thanks for dropping by and clearing things up. Your effort on Edward was phenomenal, and I'm another one who can't wait for Batman.

Keep up the great work!

- Uni

That's why I jumped in, to clear some things up. And my website only says "Sold Out" without a real detailed explanation.

Yeah, disappointing about Edward, especially because SO much work went into it, and Danny himself was impressed! Too bad, but it just motivated me to move forward. I'm actually in negotiations to release another one after Batman. The composer was asked permission, as a courtesy, and the reply was that the composer has no issue with a full score publication. I'm reticent to say which one it is until the contract is signed, but it's a good one!!

I know a lot of you have requests, and I hear you loud & clear, but there's a LOT of politics behind all this, and it has to absolutely be done by the book, in other words, all your ducks need to be lined up in a row, and these things just don't occur quickly.

As far as a timetable when Batman will be ready, that's a tough call. It's a real time-consuming process of engraving, and proofing to the recording, then the design of the book itself. It would be great to get it out this year, but it's just something that you can't rush - it absolutely has to be perfect. Having said that, it's looking pretty likely it'll be this year. I projected October, but it might be later. Thanks again for all the positive feedback - it's a nice reminder why, and for whom, I did this.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes, the book is being printed right now. It's 364 pages, so it takes some time to print 200 copies. The print shop indicates that they'll be ready by next Wednesday. If that's the case, the book will be available the following day, February 6th.

If you've subscribed to the Omni Music newsletter, you will be getting an email notifying as soon it's available for purchase.

Stay tuned . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

You'd probably have better luck getting an answer to that question by emailing Omni Publishing than you would posting on a JWFan thread about one of their releases.

• 7 years later...