The Thomas Newman Thread

Jay

Thomas Newman has been confirmed to be scoring Pixar's 2014 movie "The Good Dinosaur", as confirmed by Film Music Reporter, which I am about to quote. But pay attention to the part I bolded

Thomas Newman revealed at a recent event at Le Moyne and Syracuse University as part of their Film Talk Series (via The Dolphin) that he will be reteaming with Pixar on next year’s animated feature The Good Dinosaur. The movie is directed by Bob Peterson and is set in a world where the cataclysmic asteroid that changed life on Earth missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct. Pixar and Disney Animation’s Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter and John Walker (The Incredibles) are producing the film. Peterson previously co-directed Pixar’s Up, which featured an Academy Award-winning score by Michael Giacchino. Newman has previously scored two animated films for Pixar, Finding Nemo and Wall-E, both directed by Andrew Stanton. The composer received Oscar nominations for both scores. The Good Dinosaur is set to be released on May 30, 2014 by Walt Disney Pictures.

Newman also has another major studio film coming out later this year, which will be announced on this site within the next few months.
What the heck is the other major film he is scoring this year?

I wonder why Bob didn't use Gia for this film?

Thomas Newman has been confirmed to be scoring Pixar's 2014 movie "The Good Dinosaur", as confirmed by Film Music Reporter, which I am about to quote. But pay attention to the part I bolded

Thomas Newman revealed at a recent event at Le Moyne and Syracuse University as part of their Film Talk Series (via The Dolphin) that he will be reteaming with Pixar on next year’s animated feature The Good Dinosaur. The movie is directed by Bob Peterson and is set in a world where the cataclysmic asteroid that changed life on Earth missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct. Pixar and Disney Animation’s Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter and John Walker (The Incredibles) are producing the film. Peterson previously co-directed Pixar’s Up, which featured an Academy Award-winning score by Michael Giacchino. Newman has previously scored two animated films for Pixar, Finding Nemo and Wall-E, both directed by Andrew Stanton. The composer received Oscar nominations for both scores. The Good Dinosaur is set to be released on May 30, 2014 by Walt Disney Pictures.

Newman also has another major studio film coming out later this year, which will be announced on this site within the next few months.
What the heck is the other major film he is scoring this year?

And it's not a major film, it's a major STUDIO film.

Iron man 3 is the only Marvel movie coming out this year

EDIT: I forgot Thor 2 is also coming out in 2013, for some reason I thought it was 2014.

Iron man 3 is the only Marvel movie coming out this year

Thor 2 is also coming out, in November.

Like Chuck said, though, "major studio film" doesn't necessarily mean it's a tentpole. Could be anything.

I'll be throwing some wild guesses for Newman's next 2013 film:

300: Rise of an Empire

Elysium

The Fifth Estate

Prisoners

Turkeys

Saving Mr. Banks

Elysium

The Fifth Estate

Prisoners

Turkeys

Saving Mr. Banks

Carter Burwell has a steady working relationship with Bill Condon and John Lee Hancock, so I would imagine he'd be taking The Fifth Estate and Saving Mr. Banks.

I don't know about the others. 300: Rise of an Empire would certainly be an odd departure! :blink:

Elysium

The Fifth Estate

Prisoners

Turkeys

Saving Mr. Banks

Carter Burwell has a steady working relationship with Bill Condon and John Lee Hancock, so I would imagine he'd be taking The Fifth Estate and Saving Mr. Banks.

I don't know about the others. 300: Rise of an Empire would certainly be an odd departure! :blink:

I do expect Burwell to go for Fifth Estate and Saving Mr. Banks, but Condon has switched composers before. I also expect Clinton Shorter to do Elysium too, but he hasn't been announced yet.

I'm just tossing out movies that don't have composers officially attached... at the moment.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, it'd be funny if he scored a dinosaur movie and a Pixar movie in the summer, and then a Pixar Dinosaur movie in the fall :)

Pete Sohn is the new director on The Good Dinosaur, and Sohn and Giacchino worked together on Partly Cloudy (the short before Up), so it could possibly happen! Though, after four big scores in the first half of 2015, I could see Giacchino wanting to take a break.

Well, he was basically done with Jupiter Ascending before the year started.

Inside Out is being recorded right now, or is already recorded

Now he's got about 3 months to finish (start?) both Tomorrowland and Jurassic World. Pretty Intense!

The Good Dinosaur is a half a year away from those two films, though. Plenty of time to take even 2 months off then tackle it.

But we're just speculating - for all we know, Thomas Newman is still on it. The only reason he might not be, is if the film is not yet in a state where it can be spotted, meaning he would have to write closer to the release date, and since that conflicts with SPECTRE, maybe he had to back out. Giacchino has no conflicts (especially since MI5 got pushed up from Dec to July, of course Kraemer got the gig anyway now)

Now he's got about 3 months to finish (start?) both Tomorrowland and Jurassic World. Pretty Intense!

Inside Out was recorded in November 2014. A pick-up session for end credits and some rescore was held last month.

Giacchino also tweeted/instagram'd pics from the Tomorrowland sessions last January if I'm not mistaken, so that's likely already in the can as well.

The Good Dinosaur has been completely overhauled in production, with new script, new creativity and new director, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Newman left the project (scheduling conflict with Spectre also might be a factor, as you pointed out) and Giacchino will step in as replacement.

I want someone different than the usual Pixar composers; heck even Dreamworks is branching out of just RC composers- they could give Doyle another chance. Silvestri would be nice too, or Desplat.

Well, he was basically done with Jupiter Ascending before the year started.

The Good Dinosaur is a half a year away from those two films, though. Plenty of time to take even 2 months off then tackle it.

True. And the first sessions for Tomorrowland were back in October/November, so that has been done/almost done for a while, too.

I would absolutely love for Giacchino to score a later 2015 film, be it The Good Dinosaur or another film, but if he was doing another 2015 film, I feel like we would have heard about it by now.

Scrolling back through MG's twitter,

It looks like Tomorrowland was spotted on June 17 2014

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/479022212666904576

https://twitter.com/BradBirdA113/status/479021704014864384

On Sep 4 he said he'll be working on Inside Out and Tomorrowland in November

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/507753006679334912

Sep 25 he posted a pic from the recording sessions of Tomorrowland. I think I just figured it was a trailer cue at the time

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/515234417388695552

Then Feb 12 2014 he tweeted pics from Inside Out recording sessions

https://twitter.com/m_giacchino/status/565954306273062912

So yea, looks like Tomorrowland is more done than not done, probably.

Haven't seen him mention anything about Jurassic World on twitter at all

IMDB is no longer listing Thomas Newman as the composer for The Good Dinosaur

Could Giacchino get the gig?

Yes, it would be nice.

But imagine Thomas Newman doing a dinosaur movie. :)

Karol

Yes! You can only call Finns drunkards because it is true but otherwise such comments are forbidden.

So as a show of refined taste edit your post TGP.

Otherwise Deputy Mod Stefan will be on your case for months.

With anti-semitism on the rise again these kinds of comments are at the very least a sign of poor taste.

You said it man! So get editing TGP!