The Thomas Newman Thread

Jay

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Absolutely fantastic interview/talk! Gotta to love Newman and his articulate (and often funny) way of expressing his views on his music and the varied subjects the audience questions bring up.

Anyone who hasn't heard his piece It Got Dark, based on such postcards and what he calls "ephemera" from his local area, should.  Very fascinating.  I'd like to hear the other ones he mentions as well... a bass concerto?  Hmm....

On 14.7.2016 at 3:51 AM, TheWhiteRider said:

Anyone who hasn't heard his piece It Got Dark, based on such postcards and what he calls "ephemera" from his local area, should.  Very fascinating.  I'd like to hear the other ones he mentions as well... a bass concerto?  Hmm....

Bass concerto sounds intriguing indeed. Let's hope it finds its way on to a recording some day along with other of his concert hall.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

There was an excellent documentary miniseries that premiered on Netflix earlier this year called Five Came Back.  It was about the 5 major Hollywood directors who were active in the war effort.

Thomas Newman composed the main/end title and I thought it was a really cool, militaristic cue.  Doesn't look like it's been released anywhere nor is it ripped to YouTube,  but I recommend checking it out.

EDIT:  Well, since last I check somebody has uploaded it to YouTube.  It's not the best sound quality but it could be worse.

• 2 months later...

I'm thoroughly enjoying Victoria & Abdul - it's quintessential modern Thomas Newman with some Indian influences to match the subject matter. There's nothing really new here, especially if you're already familiar with his work for the Best Marigold Hotel films or He Named Me Malala, but it's a pleasant listen all the same.

I'm hoping Desplat's absence doesn't mean his relationship with Stephen Frears has soured, but if Newman is to be his replacement I can't be too upset.

• 9 months later...

Some random Youtuber has two tracks of actual score from Five Came Back, the documentary Newman scored last year.  I wonder how he got them...

I'd love this to get at least a digital release.

EDIT: From googling around, it looks like Newman didn't write the underscore for the episodes, just the main title.  So the two score tracks below might be by somebody named Jeremy Turner doing a Newman impression :P 

And boy that main title is still great

Those cues sound to "safe" harmonically to be Newman, though he's clearly the mould being followed.

That main theme is great though!

Just now, KK said:

That main theme is great though!

Yeah all I really want is for a score album to go on streaming sites so I can hear the main title in good quality when I want to.

Sidenote: I hadn't seen this interview before:

8 minutes ago, KK said:

I should check out the series. It looks good.

It is!  It's directed by Laurent Bouzereau so it's not especially daring or interesting in its approach or structure, but the subject matter is inherently fascinating to me, as a person who's already super into golden age hollywood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodness I'm really catching up on Thomas Newman today.

Apparently he scored Soderbergh's movie Unsane that came out earlier this year, but under the pseudonym David Wilder Savage???  Huh.

I did a deep dive myself after liking the theme you shared and went looking for more. Never knew he scored films like Revenge of the Nerds and The Lost Boys. 

I ended up finding five cues by Jeremy Turner on his SoundCloud. Good stuff. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Sidenote: I hadn't seen this interview before:

Great stuff. Newman always makes a great, candid interview candidate.

Especially enjoyed how he talks about near the end about the lack of "poetry" in the process these days.

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Not sure. Soderbergh does it to avoid certain regulations, I believe. 

Yeah that's why he takes pseudonyms as editor and cinematographer.  The Coens do the same ("Roderick Jaynes" being the editor of all their movies).  I think it might have something to do with union rules maybe?  No idea why Newman would take a pseudonym, though.  Could be just for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

JERRY NOTE (A Note From Jerry)

While extensively delving into the soundtrack to Finding Dory, I named this motif as the "Commando" theme originally, but then called it "Fish on a Mission". It has that spy/secret agent feel to it. Not sure if any official name has ever been stated. 

EDIT: Man from UNCLE anyone?

On 7/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, Disco Stu said:

Yeah that's why he takes pseudonyms as editor and cinematographer.  The Coens do the same ("Roderick Jaynes" being the editor of all their movies).  I think it might have something to do with union rules maybe?  No idea why Newman would take a pseudonym, though.  Could be just for fun.

Is Sodenbergh a union director? Or is Newman a union composer? 

On 7/11/2018 at 10:58 AM, Disco Stu said:

I really wish that Roderick Jaynes won the Oscar for editing No Country to see the reaction when the Coens themselves would just come up to the stage again lol. 

• 1 year later...

So, I was originally going to come here to ask about some of the underlying "harmonic bed" in "Coffey on the Mile" from The Green Mile, but the album credits seemed to answer my question (bowed travelling guitar, saz, solo violin, some synths, and bowed dulcimer).  Those same credits gave me a new question: what the hell is a tonut?

• 2 months later...

Cool! Just a few days ago I complained about the lack of Thomas Newman's concerts right here, and now he is stopping by live-to-picture performances of his scores.

I would love a concert about his career, with performances from Shawshank, Horse Whisperer, Green Mile, his Pixar and Bond scores, etc.

On 2/20/2015 at 12:02 PM, Dixon Hill said:

And start a new one with the Harvey Weinstein biopic, "The Reprehensible Jew."

Thanks for liking this post almost 5 years later @Not Mr. Big.  I tried to tell you all. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Potential unpopular opinion: Does anybody else struggle to get into Thomas Newman's music, or is it just me? I just don't get it. Every now and then I will hear something I really like (such as "2 Hillcrest" from LITTLE CHILDREN, "The Axiom" from WALL-E), but for the most part I don't find myself drawn to his stuff.

In fact, come to think of it, I have yet to walk out of a single Thomas Newman movie and think "Wow! That was a great score; I need to get it." His Bond scores are the most boring in the entire series, to me, and I just recently saw 1917 and was underwhelmed by his score for that as well... I've just never had the inherent desire to go look his music up or relisten to it immediately after viewing a film—a phenomenon I've experienced with many other composers. Heck, I can't even put my finger on what it is I don't like about his music. But tbh, I prefer both David and Randy, over Thomas.

Anyone else out there feel similarly? Or can anyone recommend some tracks/scores for me to check out, which you think may help change my mind about this composer?

No, I can see why you wouldn't like a lot of it - has does have a rather unique sound.

I didn't like 1917 either until I saw the film. I knew by the time the credits rolled that I wanted to listen again, and I bought the album a few days later.

You could try something like The Horse Whisperer which is a mix of his usual atmospherics, some twangy Americana, and some big orchestral pieces. Possibly my favourite Newman score.

Also Little Women which is one of his few completely traditional orchestral scores, and is awesome.

A couple of my favourite tracks:

“Road to Chicago” is my favorite T  Newman track, I was so obsessed with this when it came out, what a melody

“Infinite Descent” from Angels is one of those weird outlier highlights in his career. 

American Beauty is obviously quintessential and I think it’s genius but maybe also exactly the sort of thing Tydirium ain’t into.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

A Series of Unfortunate Events is stunning! One of the first OST albums I bought back in 04.

Absolutely agree. This one may have gotten as much play as POA when it came out that year. I know it doesn't really need one THAT badly, but I would love an expansion of it. I really want that cue Captain Sham (The fun rendition of the "Set Piece / Victory" theme featuring a fiddle this time.)

Yes, I love that cue!

@Jay not sure if I'm misremembering, but ASOUE doesn't feature any film versions on the OST, kinda like Catch Me If You Can? Am I deluded?

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Just got done listening. The second of the two THE HORSE WHISPERER tracks posted was pretty good, as was "Hurricane Herman", and both ANGELS IN AMERICA tracks were decent. I actually probably prefer the second one of those two ("The Infinite Descent") just because I think I'd rather hear Thomas Newman go full-classical (or heck, even baroque if need be), if it means he won't use his typical style that seems to grind my gears... :unsure: The "Main Title" has a bit of the sound I don't like in his work, but there are also some cool redeeming factors (like the trumpets at 1:29).

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

American Beauty is obviously quintessential and I think it’s genius but maybe also exactly the sort of thing Tydirium ain’t into.

Yep, gave that one a try once and wasn't a fan. :lol: I think the thing that's maybe off-putting for me is his reliance on guitar and piano, at least in the way he uses them. I don't really like the sound that he tends to go for, with them. And while there is some nice stuff in that second ROAD TO PERDITION track that was posted above, the kind of simplistic piano-led melody isn't the sort of thing I really enjoy in a score.

But thinking about that trumpet spot back in the first ANGELS IN AMERICA track made me realize: where are the trumpets, in T. Newman's scores??? Or the powerful low brass, for that matter? I know I've heard them before in some of his tracks, but I mean in general, it seems like his soundscape is very lacking in testosterone-fueled brass presence, which is something I love in my music. Come to think of it, stuff like that trumpet spot at 1:29 would be commonplace in a score by most other composers—I wouldn't even have a second thought about it; it would be a normal part of the track. But for a T. Newman score, after hearing his sound go on for however long in a track, then suddenly hearing even something as simple as that seems like an amazing moment, lol. It's like he sets the bar so low that when I rarely hear something I'm used to hearing in other scores, it becomes this big deal that I don't think it should be.

I guess my problem is, everything just seems so... light, so acoustic-y. With the little strummed guitars and repetitive piano/harp figures that occasionally use "weird" notes, and the orchestra-backed piano melodies which sometimes sound simplistic to the degree that you could imagine some pop star sitting up on a stage playing them...

His Bond scores feature more brass, though he tends to be very light-footed when it comes to that sort of thing, but I wouldn't say that's where the attention should be.