Absolutely fantastic interview/talk! Gotta to love Newman and his articulate (and often funny) way of expressing his views on his music and the varied subjects the audience questions bring up.

Anyone who hasn't heard his piece It Got Dark, based on such postcards and what he calls "ephemera" from his local area, should.  Very fascinating.  I'd like to hear the other ones he mentions as well... a bass concerto?  Hmm....

On 14.7.2016 at 3:51 AM, TheWhiteRider said:

Anyone who hasn't heard his piece It Got Dark, based on such postcards and what he calls "ephemera" from his local area, should.  Very fascinating.  I'd like to hear the other ones he mentions as well... a bass concerto?  Hmm....

Bass concerto sounds intriguing indeed. Let's hope it finds its way on to a recording some day along with other of his concert hall.

There was an excellent documentary miniseries that premiered on Netflix earlier this year called Five Came Back.  It was about the 5 major Hollywood directors who were active in the war effort.

Thomas Newman composed the main/end title and I thought it was a really cool, militaristic cue.  Doesn't look like it's been released anywhere nor is it ripped to YouTube,  but I recommend checking it out.

EDIT:  Well, since last I check somebody has uploaded it to YouTube.  It's not the best sound quality but it could be worse.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Victoria & Abdul - it's quintessential modern Thomas Newman with some Indian influences to match the subject matter. There's nothing really new here, especially if you're already familiar with his work for the Best Marigold Hotel films or He Named Me Malala, but it's a pleasant listen all the same.

I'm hoping Desplat's absence doesn't mean his relationship with Stephen Frears has soured, but if Newman is to be his replacement I can't be too upset.

Some random Youtuber has two tracks of actual score from Five Came Back, the documentary Newman scored last year.  I wonder how he got them...

I'd love this to get at least a digital release.

EDIT: From googling around, it looks like Newman didn't write the underscore for the episodes, just the main title.  So the two score tracks below might be by somebody named Jeremy Turner doing a Newman impression :P 

And boy that main title is still great

Sidenote: I hadn't seen this interview before:

8 minutes ago, KK said:

I should check out the series. It looks good.

It is!  It's directed by Laurent Bouzereau so it's not especially daring or interesting in its approach or structure, but the subject matter is inherently fascinating to me, as a person who's already super into golden age hollywood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodness I'm really catching up on Thomas Newman today.

Apparently he scored Soderbergh's movie Unsane that came out earlier this year, but under the pseudonym David Wilder Savage???  Huh.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Sidenote: I hadn't seen this interview before:

Great stuff. Newman always makes a great, candid interview candidate.

Especially enjoyed how he talks about near the end about the lack of "poetry" in the process these days.

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Not sure. Soderbergh does it to avoid certain regulations, I believe. 

Yeah that's why he takes pseudonyms as editor and cinematographer.  The Coens do the same ("Roderick Jaynes" being the editor of all their movies).  I think it might have something to do with union rules maybe?  No idea why Newman would take a pseudonym, though.  Could be just for fun.