Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1103/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness/Detail

Delayed until May 28. That's certainly aggravating...

Not surprised by this whatsoever.

It's in soundtrack-board.de, but you probably look for an english source.

I have no idea why you think that. You should always link to the original source when posting news of this nature. Doesn't matter what the original language is at all.

Where's the relevant STID thread in this forum?

EDIT: Found it. Here is a link to the original post. It was posted by a rep from Colosseum

http://www.soundtrack-board.de/topic/10829-varèse-sarabande-michael-giacchino-star-trek-into-darkness/?p=295185

In contrast to CD, the digital album will contain a bonus track that will be available in different languages.
Here, too, we have no definitive information. We think we know this in the next few days more.

Now, was that so hard?

Anyways, "Different languages"? So it's not a score cue, but one of the non-Giacchino songs that will be the bonus track? Phew!

Here's some more info on one of the non-Giacchino STID songs

http://www.startrek.com/article/australian-singer-lands-song-in-star-trek-into-darkness

~~~

Woah! 22 minutes of the score is airing on FM Radio this Saturday night!!

Yesterday I recorded a very enjoyable interview with Michael Giacchino for my WQXR show Movies on the Radio. He has supplied me with about 22 minutes of his "Star Trek Into Darkness" score, and you can hear that music and Michael's insights, anecdotes, and comments regarding it, Saturday, May 4th at 9 pm New York time, on WQXR FM 105.9 and wqxr.org
I should probably mention: we had a blast!
--David Garland

Here is another clip of the film featuring Giacchino music:

And two short promotional pieces featuring new Giacchino music too

Thanks to Blume for finding them

It's amazing how much of a difference changing the strings from sustaining one note/chord to rising makes in the Enterprising Young Men Theme.

Compare 1:56-2:03 of Enterprising Young Men the track to 0:45-0:53 of the Scotty Clip.

The feel completely changes. The theme feels way more alive.

Tracklisting and artwork up at Varese

Tracklisting:

1. Logos/Pranking The Natives (3:01)

2. Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps (1:43)
3. Sub Prime Directive (2:23)
4. London Calling (2:09)
5. Meld-merized (2:40)
6. The Kronos Wartet (5:25)
7. Brigadoom (3:41)
8. Ship To Ship (2:50)
9. Earthbound And Down (2:37)
10. Warp Core Values (2:56)
11. Buying The Space Farm (3:17)
12. The San Fran Hustle (5:00)
13. Kirk Enterprises (3:00)
14. Star Trek Main Theme (3:25)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1103/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness/Detail

Cover and back cover:

a20791813e621b45dac095_l.jpg

a20791813e621befb11f99_l.jpg

The songs are probably source music and will probably be the download tracks.

Jason posted a few links several posts above that should explain everything or at least make some sense about the songs.

Did no one read the back cover? The starred tracks have the courage theme, and there are three of them, not two. No songs on the CD.

Damn, that is one ugly cover!

Hopefully the eventual deluxe Edition uses better artwork

I'm sure we'll get the Harrisons Theme suite played on wqxr this Saturday

The original theme performance on the 2009 score only takes up 2:00 minutes so I wonder if this is a new arrangement from Giacchino.

Well judging by the clips MG tweeted, they rerecorded a large portion of the 09 end credits

This one is no longer than the first one. *sigh* I'm still buying it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a deluxe edition later on...

For better reading:

1. Logos/Pranking The Natives (3:01)
2. Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps (1:43)
3. Sub Prime Directive* (2:23)
4. London Calling (2:09)
5. Meld-merized (2:40)
6. The Kronos Wartet (5:25)
7. Brigadoom (3:41)
8. Ship To Ship (2:50)
9. Earthbound And Down (2:37)
10. Warp Core Values (2:56)
11. Buying The Space Farm (3:17)
12. The San Fran Hustle (5:00)
13. Kirk Enterprises* (3:00)
14. Star Trek Main Theme* (3:25)

This one is no longer than the first one. *sigh* I'm still buying it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a deluxe edition later on...

Why does this seem to be a surprise to a lot of people? Nearly all of the Star Trek film score OST's have nearly been around 45-50 minutes.

Yeah but all Giacchino releases from Varese (except ST) are 70+ discs.

Don't know maybe I should just skip this one. The original album for the previous film is virtually obsolete.

Karol

Yeah but all Giacchino releases from Varese (except ST) are 70+ discs.

You forget Speed Racer and MI3.

The original album for ST gave a slighlty different vibe of the score and didn't represnt well its structure.

Yes.

Why does this seem to be a surprise to a lot of people? Nearly all of the Star Trek film score OST's have nearly been around 45-50 minutes.

I thought maybe Varese would judge better for this release, and budget for a full CD.

Plus we're far from guaranteed a DE, so it would be more comfortable to have a 75 min release, and be missing some highlights, rather than a 45 min release, and be receiving only some highlights.

I thought maybe Varese would judge better for this release, and budget for a full CD.

Plus we're far from guaranteed a DE, so it would be more comfortable to have a 75 min release, and be missing some highlights, rather than a 45 min release, and be receiving only some highlights.

Exactly.

I think it was Giacchino who said, when the last one was released and people were unhappy with its length, that Varese was "well aware of the problem" and was going to fix it, which to me would mean that Varese knew giving such a truncated score was a bad move. You would think that they wouldn't make the same bad move again, but alas...

I guess all we can hope for at this point is that they fix the problem again. *fingers crossed*

I was right that the Harrison's Theme concert arrangement will INDEED be played on David's radio show on Saturday!

@ Jason LeBlanc, you asked what tracks will be heard on Movies on the Radio when Giacchino presents the premier of his score Saturday night. It's an interesting range of moods, and I think it probably provides a good sense of the score. We feature several pieces listed on the CD -- plus a track Michael considers quite important that, I'm surprised to see, is NOT listed on the CD! That piece is "Ode to Harrison," which, you'll hear Michael explain, is his musical portrait of the character played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Themes he created in that piece recur elsewhere in the score.
Included on Movies on the Radio:
Logos/Pranking the Natives
London Calling
The Kronos Wartet
Ode to Harrison
Ship to Ship
Star Trek Main Title Theme
Here's the page for the show, which you can "like" and share on Facebook, etc., and where you can leave comments:
The show airs May 4th at 9 pm, New York time, on WQXR FM 105.9 and world-wide at wqxr.org
As I mentioned before, Michael's a great guest, and shares lots of insight and anecdotes that will be of interest to folks here.
--David Garland