Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

OK, I know everyone is let down that the credits are just another rehash BUT...

Why change something that is already perfect? Am I right? ;)

Karol

It WILL be interesting to compare the Wallin mixed credits form the first film, with the Iwataki mixed credits from the second film.

When I first listened to the score, I thought the theme had a sort of depressing sound to it (mostly in how it usually ended) for some reason...

Then again STIII was almost the same end credits of STII, and this is only a part of the credits....

yes but STII was a great score and STIII was almost as great. They are the 2nd and 3rd best Star Trek scores of the films.

Really? Every musical person around here tends to get off on deriding its simplicity.

It's a very good theme.

I like Star Trek III better than Star Trek II musically.

Agreed, STII has a bit too much dissonance, and is a bit too choppy flowwise.

Consider this: the shitty video sounds way more exciting than Dan Wallin's mix.

Listen to those drums! Now there's no telling how it'll all sound in the end, but at least the raw orchestra sounds nice.

I could swear the orchestrations are totally new. But maybe it's just the magic of a non-Wallin mix.

Giacchino posted new videos with the choir.

http://telly.com/BM3IVM

http://telly.com/BMZIH4

I really like his use of choir (John Carter's choir especially). I just hope they don't edit out most of it for Into Darkness like they did Star Trek.

http://instagram.com/p/XqmRDDldlW/

Klingon, maybe? That would sound interesting with a choir...

Would like to point out that the first minute or so of every single Star Wars end credits suite started exactly the same, who's to say Gia's not doing the same here? Jussst sayin.

I hope Giacchino brings in some new sub themes. I'm afraid it will just be a rehash of the first one.

I'd be surprised if there weren't some new themes in there.

I'm excited to hear his theme for John Harrison (assuming there will be one). I think Giacchino generally does pretty cool villain themes.

Really? Every musical person around here tends to get off on deriding its simplicity.

It's a very good theme.

It's alright. It sounds pretty on your first listens and its nice in small doses, but it gets tiring real fast. The theme is simply not very malleable, nor does it leave much room for actual development. I guess you could pin that on its simplicity but that makes me sound snobbish.
I wouldn't put it up with the best themes of the decade.
The score is entertaining though.

Mark O. I'm sorry, but you are a small guy with great taste.

I know you love Gia and are prepared to defend him to the hilt, but that theme, compared to the great main themes that Goldsmith, Horner, Rosenman, Eideman Courage etc... contributed to this franchise.

It's just isn't good enough.

As a secondary theme, maybe, but as THE main theme to a Star Trek film?

It's a very good theme.

The theme is simply not very malleable, nor does it leave much room for actual development.

So what.

The reason it rules is the combination between the theme, the style of the theme, the bold little motifs around it... to me it sounds more like Star Trek than Horner's twinkling sounds. Giacchino delivered a cool action aventure score with some actual power that could have been even better if the film have offered room for more stuff.

But I like Horner's theme for Spock. I wonder where he derived it from.

As for Goldsmith's scores, they exist on their own Goldsmith bubble lol

PS: I remember when I saw this in person. I loved it. Massive audience reaction, by the way. I also like the bridge section from the end credits that Gia uses here.

I'm sorry. But Horners themes reflected the nautical angle The Wrath Of Khan was exploring. Gia's seems to be just a summer blockbuster theme. You could paste it into any of the recent Marvel movies and it would work. There is nothing Star Trek about it..

What Steef said.

I've never actually seen the old Star Trek films, but both Horner's score is a prime exemplar of what a grand, seafaring adventure in space would sound like (as was Goldsmith's). Horner's score cried out space adventure and discovery and I assume that's what the spirit of Star Trek is. Giacchino's score on the other hand, while entertaining, sounds like just another fun blockbuster score. And again I must disagree by saying that Horner's score had much more power than Giacchinos, imho of course.

Listen to those drums! Now there's no telling how it'll all sound in the end, but at least the raw orchestra sounds nice.

I could swear the orchestrations are totally new. But maybe it's just the magic of a non-Wallin mix.

I think you're right. There were definitely some touches in the first couple of videos that were different--some extra trilling, etc.

I'm sorry. But Horners themes reflected the nautical angle The Wrath Of Khan was exploring. Gia's seems to be just a summer blockbuster theme. You could paste it into any of the recent Marvel movies and it would work. There is nothing Star Trek about it..

Indeed. I do enjoy Gia's score. The only thing really Star Trek about it is the use of Courage's theme. Although I don't think we should be pointing the finger at Gia for a summer blockbuster score. That's the type of movie that was created and edited, and he just provided the score that was needed. I don't think a Horner score would have worked in a nautical fashion.

Just saying it this way: Basil Polederous' score to Starship Troopers would have fit perfectly with the Star Trek movie.

I think you're right. There were definitely some touches in the first couple of videos that were different--some extra trilling, etc.

Heck, even on my Galaxy S3 speakers I could tell a difference in the sound. I liked it!

For me Gia's score is the only one that doesn't "feel" like Star Trek at at least some point. Even the Rosenman effort, of which I am not a fan manages that once.

I does in some of its fragments. Spock's theme belongs in the series and some impressionistic-like s-f underscore you can find here and there. But the rest is rather dull. Giacchino did better elsewhere.

Karol

I like the theme a lot. I think the orchestration makes it work. Take "Hella Bar Talk" - basically two minutes of the same four-bar theme repeated over and over, but interesting nonetheless. Giacchino throws the theme around all the sections of the orchestra, adds and subtracts layers, varies the dynamics, introduces counter-melodies, lays down the drum track. Those are the interesting things. I think, on a basic level, that the theme has a cosmic quality, an excitement about the unknown that is crucial to Star Trek. Oh, it doesn't span an octave and a half like the Force theme does? It sits too often on the tonic note? Sure... whatever.

has there ever been a truth better spoken here, I am not sure, but nevertheless the truth has been spoken.

However I have no doubt that this score will be among the 12 best Star Trek films scores ever.

However I have no doubt that this score will be among the 12 best Star Trek films scores ever.

It has been spoken.

Here's a great post from Erik Woods in the FSM thread for this score

I think it's fairly obvious that Giacchino likes his music to sound a certain way so I don't think a new recording engineer is going to change that.
Yes, it will. Roar! (recorded by Peter Fuchs) sounds drastically different than anything Wallin has recorded for Giacchino. Giacchino choose Iwataki because Wallin wasn't available. Giacchino must have heard something he liked in Iwataki's previous recordings, whether a Tyler or Goldenthal recording, to bring him on board for this project. I'm willing to bet that this is going to sound much fuller and bigger than Giacchino's first Trek score.
A ra

w orchestra orchestra recording is not what you are going to hear on the album. And change of sound after Medal of Honor just shows that he liked Wallin's work and stuck with it.

Well, he had to pick someone because Steve Smith (who recorded Giacchino's MOH, Secret Weapons scores) is a Seattle based engineer. I'm sure he would have still worked with Smith if he lived in California. And if I'm not mistaken (I might be) Giacchino has also worked with Armin Steiner.
-Erik-

has there ever been a truth better spoken here, I am not sure, but nevertheless the truth has been spoken.

Well, to each his own. To me, there's a strong vibe of gazing at the stars, especially in quieter renditions like "Hella Bar Talk." We all hear different things.

HB I don't even know what you're referencing but glad you liked it. I don't think my 2009 score has been opened in 3 + years so I'm completely unfamiliar with the titles, though I distinctly remember the score. .

Roar! Is a decent mix. There's at least energy and some separation to the instruments. The brass actually sound menacing.

It's still too dry and close though.

But I'm hoping for even better out of Iwataki.

I always loved the sound of Roar!! and never really thought about it much, but it makes perfect sense now that it wasn't Wallin.

I wish they'd legally sell a lossless version of it, incidentally. I mean, in the movie itself it's in great quality, but truncated, and the iTunes version is not truncated, but is 256kbps only. Annoying.

First of all, you obviously don't pay attention to my pics on Facebook and secondly my wife would strongly disagree with you. ;)

I'm far from a small guy.

And yes, many people have told me I have great taste in music, I'm flattered that there are those here who use my recommendations for their listening and buying habits.

I know you love Gia and are prepared to defend him to the hilt, but that theme, compared to the great main themes that Goldsmith, Horner, Rosenman, Eideman Courage etc... contributed to this franchise.

His theme is better than Eidelman's, Rosenman's, McCarthy's, and Goldsmith's Nemesis and Insurrection.

It's funny we now lament the Summer Blockbuster Score. There was a time when we used to love the summer blockbuster score, we would always look forward to who was scoring the big summer films. And his Trek score is far from the current junk that graces most big films Summer films these days.

There's no rules that state what a Star Trek score should sounds like, in fact most of them don't even conjur images of Trek when listening to them away from the movies and minus the Courage fanfare.

In fact his Trek score is the one of the few to actually have cues that make one feel like they are in space at time.

But hey we're all titled to our opinions and your's, or any other person, is not going to change mine. If he writes a bad Trek score I'll be one of the first to admit it.

I respect your taste in music, Mark. And yes, I bought a couple albums based on your recommendations (Barry's Kong, among others) and they were good purchases.

But this one is not among them, sadly. Just doesn't click with me. And I generally like Giacchino.

I hope the new work works for me better.

Karol

First of all, you obviously don't pay attention to my pics on Facebook and secondly my wife would strongly disagree with you. ;)

And yes, many people have told me I have great taste in music, I'm flattered that there are those here who use my recommendations for their listening and buying habits.

>>I know you love Gia and are prepared to defend him to the hilt, but that theme, compared to the great main themes that Goldsmith, Horner, Rosenman, Eideman Courage etc... contributed to this franchise.

His theme is better than Eidelman's, Rosenman's, McCarthy's, and Goldsmith's Nemesis and Insurrection.

It's funny we now lament the Summer Blockbuster Score. There was a time when we used to love the summer blockbuster score, we would always look forward to who was scoring the big summer films. And his Trek score is far from the current junk that graces most big films Summer films these days.

There's no rules that state what a Star Trek score should sounds like, in fact most of them don't even conjur images of Trek when listening to them away from the movies and minus the Courage fanfare.

In fact his Trek score is the one of the few to actually have cues that make one feel like they are in space at time.

But hey we're all titled to our opinions and your's, or any other person, is not going to change mine. If he writes a bad Trek score I'll be one of the first to admit it.

he didn't write a bad score, so you have to admit nothing.

there are some themes in Insurrection that are among the best Star Trek music, some seriously great pieces by JG, That's what I hope MG could approach.

Insurrection is boring, its the same theme over in over IMHO.

Yeah, I listened to a good sounding foot warmer of this one fairly recently and still can't get into it. I'll probably skip it as I did Generations.

Well you are a smart guy then, So your wife is lucky both ways, and nightly, as I've been informed.....

I'll give you the latter two Goldsmith's, but NOT the Eidelman and McCarthy pieces.

It's still not a very goof, flexible, interesting theme.

In 2009 you might have been right, but with the recent success of Marvel fare, the summer blockbuster score has made a comeback of sorts.

I'll put Horner's nifty and flexible Spider-Man theme against the Gia's Trek theme any day.

It's the same with Giacchino's score.

I can atleast pick out more themes.

Insurrection has like two themes.

I'll put Horner's nifty and flexible Spider-Man theme against the Gia's Trek theme any day.

That Spider-Man theme sounds so bland to me.

This obssesion with flexibility at the cost of genuine catchiness is something I'm not very fond of.

It's the same with Giacchino's score.

I can atleast pick out more themes.

Insurrection has like two themes.

the opening of Insurrection is gorgeous, it's beyond anything in 2009. Chaac talks bland 2009 is like no fat mayo

snippets of 2013 sounds the same, jeez at least add some paprika

McCarthy's possibly, although it still sounds more Trek-like to me. Insurrection's theme is lovely, but perhaps oddly different. Insurrection is a bland score to me, but the Shinzon theme is gorgeous. Rosenman's theme is eccentric and (compared to his other scores) unoriginal, but it's still good.

But Eidelman's is fantastic, and up there with Horner's.

Insurrection is boring, its the same theme over in over IMHO.

The theme isn't overwhelming (although the main title version is pretty), and the album is poorly balanced. But the score as a whole is a great action score.