Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

Finally watched the whole 6 minute piece, per Anthony's post. Great stuff! I think part of it comes from the very opening of the IMAX preview, no?

That and MG has done scene by scene reactive composing anyway. So it's not like he normally watches the whole move and goes back composing.

Lost came about one scene at a time watched linearly I believe.

You don't need to see the entire film to come up with a theme for a bad guy

Wouldn't you want the theme to fit the villain, though?

Anyway, I'm loving the extended version of Harrison's theme. I think it's definitely better than Nero's theme.

Finally! A clip of the film is online with some of Giacchino's score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Ifu0gy4Do

This is the first we've heard outside of the imax preview and the end credits stuff he tweeted.

What do you think?

I like it!

Sorta reminds me of the "Finale theme" from the first film, but different of course.

it sounds like a style of Giacchino I have not heard before. the mixing could have a hand in that.

Reminds me of Chutes and Matter a bit

Your headphones/speakers must not be letting you hear the BBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

This is gonna be a controversial track.

Honestly sounds more like MI4

I think I'm hearing a blaster beam at the end of the clip.

Not enough attack/decay to be a blaster beam IMHO.

Don't Kill The Messenger - The End is Nigh! Darkness is at hand.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/16853032/aussie-duo-win-star-trek-slot/

http://www.capsulecomputers.com.au/2013/04/global-artists-contribute-to-star-trek-into-darkness-soundtrack/

Paramount Pictures have just revealed that various artists across 6 countries are contributing to the Star Trek: Into Darkness soundtrack. Amongst them are Australians, songwriter/producer Robert Conley and vocalist Penelope Austin, who co-wrote and worked on a track called The Dark Collide.

This is the first time a Paramount live-action film will feature lyricists, vocalists and music producers from around the world, each with their own contribution being spotlighted during the films theatrical run in each of the artists respective countries. Come May 9th, Aussies will be able to hear our own Conley and Austins work during a pivotal scene with iconic Star Trek character Scotty.

The song which Conley co-wrote with Austin will also be found on the Star Trek: Into Darkness official soundtrack, which features Academy Award-winning composer Michael Giacchinos score. It will also be available for digital download on all major platforms around the films release. Austin had this to say about the experience;

"It is such a phenomenal opportunity that six artists around the world have been offered this opportunity. I am so excited to see and hear the results at the Premiere of Star Trek: Into Darkness at the Premiere tonight."

Please be source music. Please be source music. Please be source music. Please be source music.

I can see it now...Scotty is saving his beautiful lady Enterprise as some god damned ballad plays over the cinema speakers.

Lyrics belting: "TTHEEEE DDDAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKK COLLLLLLLIDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE"

I can see it now...Scotty is saving his beautiful lady Enterprise as some god damned ballad plays over the cinema speakers.

Lyrics belting: "TTHEEEE DDDAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKK COLLLLLLLIDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEE"

Imagine that set to John Harrison's theme with the Klingon background vocals. ;)

Karol

Why waste soundtrack space for a non-Giacchino song?! That doesn't make any sense. Release the song as a single like Adele's "Skyfall" and leave the soundtrack to Giacchino. Simple solution!

So, Star Trek Into Darkness gets one CD with songs, and Man Of Steel gets two CDs, maybe with nearly all the score.

:pukeface:

And yet, if the Trek album is longer, there is a good chance we will get as much music (45 minutes) as from the first one, which was admittedly short to begin with.

I am predicting 45 minutes of score and 15 minutes of this other artist stuff on the CD

If we get an eventual 2 disc Deluxe Edition, I am predicting it will just contain the Giacchino score

Music recorded in Hollywood is expensive to release, and the AFM receives extra money if a CD sells over 15,000 copies. Since Varese knew the ST OST would sell over 15,000 copies, they wisely limited the release to only be 45 minutes long, so they'd owe less money to the AFM. Then released (almost) the entire score a year later as a limited edition. Since it was limited to 5,000 copies, they are able to license the music at a cheaper rate than if it were an unlimited release. Also, they charged $35 to for the damn thing, so Varese likely came out well ahead through the venture.

I don't see why they won't do the same thing this time around.

I am predicting 45 minutes of score and 15 minutes of this other artist stuff on the CD

If we get an eventual 2 disc Deluxe Edition, I am predicting it will just contain the Giacchino score

I too think this will happen.

Then released the entire score a year later as a limited edition.

The entire score? I don't think so!

I have trouble with the idea of paying 35 dollars plus around 10 dollars of shipping for what's essentially a single score. :mellow: I can't usually drop money like that on things.

I wouldn't doubt if Varese ends up releasing a 2-CD set of this score a year or so from now. I just hope a complete version of Nemesis is out before a 2-CD set of Star Trek Into Darkness.

I also hope that Townson doesn't do a PERSONAL EDIT of STID 2-CD like he did with Star Trek 09.

Although with 09, I could understand if the choir and Tilton percussion dubs weren't with the cues because of the high reuse fees but he should have had the thing as the complete intended score with alternates. No damn personal edit...almost like a slap in the face considering the other Trek film scores have been their intended editions...

Pretty cool interview! It starts off being about STID, then he gives the same stock response about how he hopes Williams will score Ep7, then he talks about some other things including scoring for animation vs live action, and what he did with his Oscar statue :)