Irina's Theme is a masterpiece

filmmusic

I really like Irina's Theme too. Having the sessions now, I'm not sure how I feel about the "concert" version on the CD being scattered around the various cues that it was originally edited from. The album edit had been one of my favorite tracks. I'm wondering if I should reinstate it in my edit somehow...

The true concert arrangement that Williams wrote later and has only been performed live is brilliant!

The edit of film cues into a theme track for the OST is good too

I'm sure it is! Sadly it doesn't do me much good :[ I second the motion to get a recording one day.

The OST edit is very satisfying though. The theme for Irina's minion dude (can't think of his name... the filth of KotCS is washing away!) is a highlight of the score for me.

I'm not sure if it's on YouTube. I'm not seeing it, and I feel like I tried once before and couldn't find it.

Oh well, it shall be released. I can be patient!

here you are:

Wow! That's really different. He added a lot of new material - it was more noticeable than I expected. Funny, it almost sounded like they were going into Dovchenko's theme for a second, but no.

Thank you, filmmusic!

yeah, it excellent. I wish there was a studio recording of it and Marion's theme update

something the Prague orchestra should have put on their last compilation

Gee, this version is absolutely awesome.

Karol

I have always thought Johnny should have scored film noirs. Irina's theme exudes such class and sensuous tragic fatality.

And it is high time the concert versions of Irina's and Marion's themes were recorded and released.

Gee, this version is absolutely awesome.

Karol

I have always thought Johnny should have scored film noirs. Irina's theme exudes such class and sensuous tragic fatality.

And it is high time the concert versions of Irina's and Marion's themes were recorded and released.

Incanus, JW did score a flim-noir: "The Long Goodbye", and he scored it so originally that no film since has ever been scored like it (way to go, JW!).

BTW, I've always considered "Presumed Innocent" to be a modern flim-noir, much in the vein of "Body Heat". Film-noir doesn't have to be all moody shadows, and low camera angles.

Perhaps I should have said "scored more film noirs". :)

And indeed JW has scored numerous movies with those noirish elements in them. I was just expressing the sentiment that JW would have composed awesome scores for those classic noir films of the past.

• 5 years later...

:lol:

I’ll watch An Unexpected Journey, my least favorite of the bunch, ten times on repeat before I’ll watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

And I don’t adore things. I like things.

What a fantastic concert arrangement that is! Straight out of 60s Hollywood film noir.

Wish the film had followed suit as a tribute to that era of filmmaking. Would've been much more suited to the sensibilities of modern Spielberg and Kaminski.

I just wish Williams had re-recorded this concert arrangement along with Marion's theme for the Spielberg/Williams collaboration 3. Still after all these years such a gorgeous piece.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

I just wish Williams had re-recorded this concert arrangement along with Marion's theme for the Spielberg/Williams collaboration 3. Still after all these years such a gorgeous piece.

Saving it for Collaboration Edition 4, along with Indy 5, The Lost World, War of the Worlds, The Post, Artificial Intelligence and his new Hook arrangement :)

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'd say the theme itself isn't that great, but the atmospheric orchestration lifts it quite a bit.

Thanks. I'll pay better attention to it the next time I listen. As I've said many times, I have a very cool, detached relationship to Williams' film music since 2005 (except WAR HORSE and THE POST). At some point, I'd like to sit down and engross myself in these 9 feature film scores more properly.

• 5 years later...

I like the orchestrations and the mood/atmosphere of the piece. I think it makes use of a sax for a good bit. But the melody itself is a little too repetitive and kind of goes nowhere, not a lot of melodic development. In terms of a femme fatale golden age theme, I think Helena's theme is far better.

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I like the orchestrations and the mood/atmosphere of the piece. I think it makes use of a sax for a good bit. But the melody itself is a little too repetitive and kind of goes nowhere, not a lot of melodic development. In terms of a femme fatale golden age theme, I think Helena's theme is far better.

I like Irina's Theme a lot. By modern Hollywood standards the melody linie is probably three times as log as the average modern love theme. And it perectly fits the musical Indiana Jones family. Helena's Theme is the foundation of the whole DoD score. Irina's Theme just appears in a few scene's where Irina appears. Therefore, of course Helena's Theme is far superior. But Irina's Theme does the job perfectly as a theme for a 50s Russian female secret agent. I don't like the term femme fatal in context of Irina, as a femme fatal is supposed to be secutvive and bringing men to ruin by making them fall in love with her. But that's not the case at all with Irina.

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Yes, I respect the tone and golden age feeling of the piece but I've never liked the melody in any other form than brief quotes. (such as when it appears in Jungle Chase). In terms of a theme and a piece that evolves, Helena's Theme is much more interesting to me.

8 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I found it amusing that this thread apparently is resurrected every 5 years.

Even weirder than that, this thread had been used exclusively in March up until now, so we're either 11 months late or a few days early depending on how you look at it :eh: