Irina's Theme is a masterpiece

filmmusic

55 minutes ago, Brando said:

It's use throughout the entire Jungle Chase sequence is excellent

I don't even remember its use inside the film.

I mostly listen to the concert version.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Even weirder than that, this thread had been used exclusively in March up until now, so we're either 11 months late or a few days early depending on how you look at it :eh:

Continental drift?

The calculations were WRAWNG!

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Irina's Theme is glorious. It's use throughout the entire Jungle Chase sequence is excellent. 

The statement 49 seconds into the album Jungle Chase is some of JW’s finest thematic-action writing period.

17 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I like Irina's Theme a lot. By modern Hollywood standards the melody linie is probably three times as log as the average modern love theme. And it perectly fits the musical Indiana Jones family. Helena's Theme is the foundation of the whole DoD score. Irina's Theme just appears in a few scene's where Irina appears. Therefore, of course Helena's Theme is far superior. But Irina's Theme does the job perfectly as a theme for a 50s Russian female secret agent. I don't like the term femme fatal in context of Irina, as a femme fatal is supposed to be secutvive and bringing men to ruin by making them fall in love with her. But that's not the case at all with Irina.

I'm pretty sure JW himself thought of Irina's theme as a noir, femme fatale theme, something sexy, dark, and sensual (his own words) even if it doesn't fully fit her role in the film. I think her theme reflects those qualities.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I don't even remember its use inside the film.

I mostly listen to the concert version.

Not sure if you’re familiar with the recording sessions but I created a film edit for the entire sequence: 

3 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I'm pretty sure JW himself thought of Irina's theme as a noir, femme fatale theme, something sexy, dark, and sensual (his own words) even if it doesn't fully fit her role in the film. I think her theme reflects those qualities.

Yes, I remember that quote from an interview as well. And from the sound of the piece I can comprehend that. I remember the piece getting played live at the academy award celebration to a montage of female actresses showing many of them in their femme fatal roles. Fitted perfectly. And Kate Blanchet can use of the help she can get to appear in any way seductive. I mean, she is a great actress and an attractive woman, no doubt, but her erotic chemestry with any of her film partners, at least in the movies I saw her in, is subterranean. That somehow seems not to be her field of charisma.

So, might be that Williams intended to give Irina a femme fatal note, but it just was not reflected in Blanchet's appearance.

A little bit like the romance in Attack of the Clones, where the big love story was told in the music but not on screen.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I remember the piece getting played live at the academy award celebration to a montage of female actresses showing many of them in their femme fatal roles. Fitted perfectly.

Are you talking about this video montage?

On 21/03/2013 at 5:21 PM, filmmusic said:

• 2 weeks later...