Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

I don't like how it looks and sounds.

Me neither.

That said, it looks marginally less awful than the original.

There was something, anything, awful about the original?!

The film is jingoistic as hell. It's all about the spectacle and how much shit Emmerich can blow up and Randy Quaid's Casse is one of the most annoying characters ever. The only saving grace of ID4 was the banter between Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.

Even Arnold's score was overblown and irritating.

I'm somewhere in the middle with the old movie. Didn't adore it like some, didn't despise it like some. Watched it and was marginally entertained by it without further need of re-watching it. That being said, I'll probably give this one a watch.

There's a difference between being patriotic and overdoing it.

The movie is called Independence Day which takes place during the Independence Day holiday and was released theatrically during Independence Day week. It had about as much patriotism as you'd expect, but wasn't dripping with it. Michael Bay would have done much worse.

GBBPub6.gif

The new movie falls flat if this guy doesn't make an appearance.

Basically he notes flag waving in the film isn't as overt as people think because its global message is a lot stronger, and Emmerich uses sterotypes and tokens to deliver his message.

He also cites evidence that Michael Bay is far more prone to flag waving groaners than Emmerich was in ID4.

I personally think Arnold's use of militaristic brass had a lot to do with influencing people to overstate the film's blatant American slant.

I don't like how it looks and sounds.

Me neither.

That said, it looks marginally less awful than the original.

There was something, anything, awful about the original?!

The film is jingoistic as hell. It's all about the spectacle and how much shit Emmerich can blow up and Randy Quaid's Casse is one of the most annoying characters ever. The only saving grace of ID4 was the banter between Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.

Even Arnold's score was overblown and irritating.

Yeah ID4 is so ludicrously 'Murica, it's great. Trust a foreign director to again be the one to tap into that domestic versus overseas audience juxtaposition and milk the two wonderfully polar opposite positive reactions for all their worth. Depending on where in the western world you live, ID4 can either be air punchingly oo-rah patriotic entertaining or raucously daft thinly veiled satire entertaining, or even both and all at once. To call ID4 'jingoistic' is a bit captain obvious if you ask me, and it's simply missing the whole point, because this is not a serious movie. I think it's thrillingly silly, cliched to buggery and 100% tongue in cheek. If that's not obvious then I don't know what is.

I remember watching ID4 at the cinema, I was about 18 at the time and I completely dismissed it, like a dickhead.

You said it Quintus. There's nothing hateful about ID4. Simply too much fun to be had with it, provided one doesn't take it too seriously. If I look at blockbusters now compared to the ones made during my youth... Well, I know which ones I prefer.

You said it Quintus. There's nothing hateful about ID4. Simply too much fun to be had with it, provided one doesn't take it too seriously. If I look at blockbusters now compared to the ones made during my youth... Well, I know which ones I prefer.

I never have fun with something that tries to please the broad audience too much. Like Will Smith knocking out a crashed alien pilot with his fist while at the same time he's being very aware that the audience will love it. I know people love and cheer for that (like they do with Bruce Willis in the Die Hard series) but personally I can't stand it.

Anyone else notice the alien craft all look different?

There's no sign of any of the ship designs from the first movie. Whatever the hell that thing is that Judd Hirsch is looking at looks nothing like the destroyers from before. And the attackers look like hoodless versions of the old ones.

Dafuq??

Basically he notes flag waving in the film isn't as overt as people think because its global message is a lot stronger, and Emmerich uses sterotypes and tokens to deliver his message.

He also cites evidence that Michael Bay is far more prone to flag waving groaners than Emmerich was in ID4.

I personally think Arnold's use of militaristic brass had a lot to do with influencing people to overstate the film's blatant American slant.

Yep. To me it's always seemed like a balls-to-the-wall humanistic statement. It's like that internet story that circulated a few years ago about humanity rebelling against God and Satan... boy what was that called? It was ridiculous and fun.

Anyway, Smith says "Welcome to Earth," not "Welcome to America."

Well the attackers don't appear to be bigger. It would be impractical if they were. But they look different. And I don't like things that are different.

Do you seriously expect an alien race capable of galactic conquest and annihilation to only have one model of mothership? If you've watched any science fiction, you'll know every race, good bad or otherwise, can have different spaceships in its hangar.

Well the attackers don't appear to be bigger. It would be impractical if they were. But they look different. And I don't like things that are different.

Do you seriously expect an alien race capable of galactic conquest and annihilation to only have one model of mothership? If you've watched any science fiction, you'll know every race, good bad or otherwise, can have different spaceships in its hangar.

Yeah but the original ID4 ships were iconic. Not only did they look menacing, there was a beauty to their simplicity.

OK, finally watched the trailer. You know what? Doesn't look as bad as I was expecting.

Funny how they ramp up the nostalgia-factor by using Pullman's speech from the first movie :P

Still a shame about the score.

How would the ID4 alien fleet fare against the Galactic Empire in Star Wars?

Say the ID4 aliens began an invasion of the SW galaxy, and started destroying relatively defenceless planets like Naboo, Kamino, etc., would the Empire stand a chance against their attackers and city destroyers?

I know there's a computer virus joke in there waiting to happen, but that only assumes that the Empire has captured one of the alien attackers and can use it to infultrate the mothership to plant a nuke. Not to mention whether the Empire has anyone as smart as David Levinson who could figure that one out.

Fuck I wish SW stayed with Fox.

I reckon maybe the Rebel Alliance might stand a better chance against the ID4 fleet simply based on its knack for effective surgical attacks on bigger and more powerful foes.

And R2-D2 seems like an exceptionally well programmed droid that he might be able to exploit the aliens' software vulnerabilities. Then you'd wonder why the Rebels couldn't disable the Death Star with malware.