Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

5 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Does Wanker write more music than Kloser or is Kloser just generous by giving Wanker first billing?

Wanker, do you like movies about gladiators?

I bet the 'ID4 Reprise' is the only moment we'll hear Arnold's theme. If so then that's basically my interest in the film down from my 2% interest to 0.002% interest.

Well he didn't just write one theme, he wrote many. The menacing alien attack motif will be sorely missed. Then there's the presidential theme, Hiller's theme and an assortment of smaller, more less obvious motifs that were embedded throughout the score. And of course Nicholas Dodd's lush orchestrations.

All gone!

By the way, a snippet of the score can be heard here:

Of course Arnold wrote more than one theme, but I'm talking about the main theme (which is basically the only theme we have a chance of hearing in the new film.) 

3 hours ago, loert said:

Just for fun I made a sort of pianistic compendium of the themes present in ID4:

Heroic(?) theme

Presidential theme

"Darkest Day" theme

Alien theme

Any obvious ones I'm missing?

Yeah, Hiller's theme. Check End Titles, 1:45. Also appears in Cancelled Leave.

8 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Well he didn't just write one theme, he wrote many. The menacing alien attack motif will be sorely missed. Then there's the presidential theme, Hiller's theme and an assortment of smaller, more less obvious motifs that were embedded throughout the score. And of course Nicholas Dodd's lush orchestrations.

All gone!

By the way, a snippet of the score can be heard here:

Everyone looks like a hot mess in this. The color grading is modern and ugly. I honestly couldn't stand watching this 30 second clip because it looks so atrocious. ID4 had a very natural look to it.

I'm nervous about how that new 4K master looks. Did they give it a piss gold look like they did to Home Alone and Edward Scissorhands?

Looks like Emmerich is trying to emulate Michael Bay in IDR with that hallmark orange and teal look. And I've read some online murmur that there's a lot of pandering to China since they want to maximise their returns from that region.

5 hours ago, loert said:

Just for fun I made a sort of pianistic compendium of the themes present in ID4:

Heroic(?) theme

Presidential theme

"Darkest Day" theme

Alien theme

Any obvious ones I'm missing?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24399-what-film-score-thememelody-is-going-through-your-head-right-now/&do=findComment&comment=1246994

Maybe he's deliberately making all the wrong choices so that people won't want another sequel and they'll stop nagging him about making one.

I'm beginning to get "modern movie syndrome" vibes here, which is never a good thing.

Especially shameful because the original ID4 was very far removed from that sort of film making.

I didn't realise Wanker had changed his name to Wander.

I also didn't realise so many of the Kloser scores were actually co-collaborations between the two.

I also quite like Wank..Wander's score for the Buffy TV series, so maybe this won't be the steaming pile of mediocrity I was expecting?

According to people on IMDb who have been listening to the audio book of the novelisation, the gay character is...

Spoiler

Dr Okun.

Now I need to go re-read Silent Zone to see if this is a retcon and if he liked girls in that novel.

I remember reading the ID4 novelization before I saw the film.  I knew the "I voted for the other guy" joke was coming before it was said.

IIRC, the bit about uploading the virus to the alien mothership made more sense in the book than the film, too....

Please don't suck!

My other half Dave thinks this looks terrible. When you think about it logically the concept fails even if it sounds good. We had 20 years to prepare, so did they. Well 20 years is hardly enough time to accomplish rebuilding from the initial destruction. It's been 15 years since 9-11 and only one of the towers has been completed. Its highly unlikely that with Earth decimated, the unfathomable loss of life, we could rebuild our cities all the while reverse engineering the alien technology so that we build advance space fighters in that period. The current most advanced fighter, the F-35 started development in 1996 and is just now going into service. Okay it's just a movie I get it. Now that's out of the way I will try to enjoy it.

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Please don't suck!

My other half Dave thinks this looks terrible. When you think about it logically the concept fails even if it sounds good. We had 20 years to prepare, so did they. Well 20 years is hardly enough time to accomplish rebuilding from the initial destruction. It's been 15 years since 9-11 and only one of the towers has been completed. Its highly unlikely that with Earth decimated, the unfathomable loss of life, we could rebuild our cities all the while reverse engineering the alien technology so that we build advance space fighters in that period. The current most advanced fighter, the F-35 started development in 1996 and is just now going into service. Okay it's just a movie I get it. Now that's out of the way I will try to enjoy it.

In the post-war ID4 world, pretty much all of that obstructive bureacracy was wiped out and consequently there was more collective drive to recreate lost infrastructure and restore working institutions or else risk being caught offguard again. Unity and camaraderie are big themes in ID4, so dramatically it makes sense.

And according to an interview with Emmerich, alien tech wasn't reverse-engineered, rather it was "harnessed" and "built-upon". So I gather they just took existing elements from alien tech and retrofit it into human-built tech.

Reverse engineered.

You have to know how it works first before you can build on it.

It's common knowledge the US has plans in place to rebuild if terrorist destroy a public landmark.

52 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

The current most advanced fighter, the F-35 started development in 1996 and is just now going into service.

The JSF is an over budget, behind schedule, and underperforming failure. 

24 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

The JSF is an over budget, behind schedule, and underperforming failure. 

Actually that isn't true at all. It is proving in testing to do things the plane (F-16) it's going to replace cannot do at all. It's true it's got cost overruns but so has every plane before it. But the doves will still cry and tell their lies.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

IIRC, the bit about uploading the virus to the alien mothership made more sense in the book than the film, too....

I never read the book. If you know any details, consider me interested.

I read it 20 years ago, barely recall anything about it, sorry!

Oh, I remember that most of the scenes that popped back up in the Director's Cut of the film had been in the novelization

Emmerich is actually pretty reliable in his comfort genre and never really turns in an unenteraining couple of hours, but no matter what Drax is still setting himself up for a fall with this. Maybe even a big one. 

I hope he has a great time. I want this to be fun.

Still I'm ready for a more intimate set of films that are not end of the world scenarios. Life and death are fine. 

Oh I'm prepared for the worst. This might be a disappointment for me on par or even worse than the old guard SW fans endured when they first saw TPM. However I tempered my exectations significantly after my initial devastation that David Arnold was sideswiped in classic studio politics fashion.

Then the trailers were released and I was like "hey, this might actually be good!"

But at least I'll still have my memories of the first film and the impact it had on me as a wide-eyed 11-year-old during the optimistic decade of the 1990s.