Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

On 9.2.2016 at 7:15 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Goldenthal should have won that year, no question.

Damn straight. ID4 maybe should have won in a third category: Best Achievement in keeping at least 10 capable orchestrators in permanent work. 

44 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Am I the only one here that doesn't like ID4, film or score?

The movie is okay.  I never understood the extreme love it got when it was released.  Special effects, melodrama, bloat, and more special effects.  The score is much better than the movie--though the main theme seems like a variation of the same composer's Stargate theme. 

30 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Are you going to the ID4 live to screen concert in London?

No I'm not a die-hard fan or anything like that. I like the movie and own the OST, also looking forward to the sequel. 

When I saw ID4 in the theater I thought it was pretty mediocre.  I still don't adore it, but I came to like it more after home release.  Will probably see the sequel in the theater.

Like the score, don't love it.  So basically it's "likes" across the board.

The film is plenty of fun to watch. I think the score is REALLY good, with superb themes, however the bombast in the action scenes, and the orchestration overall, gets a little tired in places, as if Arnold was running out of ideas on how to make the orchestra sound even bigger. I think this mainly comes down to a lack of experience though. I love the music that plays when the spaceships cover the cities ("The Darkest Day") and the build up to the first strike ("Evacuation, Firestorm"). The softer moments are beautiful as well (e.g. "El Toro Destroyed"). 

On 11/02/2016 at 9:14 AM, Stefancos said:

Are you going to the ID4 live to screen concert in London?

Snap!

I've never known of a composer/s who has so brazenly set themselves up for failure. It's almost an act of self-sabotage. Everyone but Kloser's most ardent sycophants on Facebook are all prepared to nuke this score as soon as it's released.

It's a bad decision whether you hold Arnold's score in high regard or not.

Taking Arnold off this film is the worst idea in the long sad history of bad ideas and I'm gonna be there when Emmerich learns that.

16 hours ago, loert423 said:

The film is plenty of fun to watch. I think the score is REALLY good, with superb themes, however the bombast in the action scenes, and the orchestration overall, gets a little tired in places, as if Arnold was running out of ideas on how to make the orchestra sound even bigger. 

Yeah, it can get really overblown, especially whenever the choir is used.  

On 2/11/2016 at 3:32 AM, Koray Savas said:

Am I the only one here that doesn't like ID4, film or score?

I find many parts of the score a bombast overload. My playlist is kind of a re-engineered OST, with some louder material swapped out for quieter bits. I'm casually interested in what Kloser comes up with for this, but I fear that it may just be a bit unremarkable, like so many blockbuster scores are these days.

I love the film though.

• 1 month later...

"She has arrived." Hmm, are we going to see some kind of Alien Queen?

Also, it seems like the aliens are going to be CGI in this one (at least that tentacle around the President's neck looks practical).

Ah, hence literally sucking up whole cities rather than outright destroying them? Harvesting all the organic matter for nefarious purposes (including, gulp, humans).

Certainly has potential to go in quite dark and disturbing places; let's hope Emmerich decides to really push the boundaries with this one rather than making nothing more than fluffy, hollow spectacle.

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

ID4 versus Godzilla!

My dream movie.

Toho's Earth Defenders, including Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, King Kong, Jet Jaguar and Anguirus unite against the ultimate formidable extraterrestrial force of incalculable destruction!

And the alien attack campaign is led by Ghidorah, the demon monster from Planet X! His minions include Gigan, Megalon, Space Godzilla, and Destoroyah.

There is no way the earth could have recovered in 20 years. Hell it took 15 years just to rebuild one tower from 911. World Trade Center #2 is tentatively scheduled to open in 2021. Reverse engineering from Roswell has been going on for nearly 70 years and we're only now introducing laser weapons aboard navel ships. We're still about a decade away from our soldiers being armed with energy weapons.