BREAKING BAD

Jay

To'hajiilee

The net finally closes around Walt as Hank and Jesse find a way to make Walt throw caution to the wind.

Quite a brilliant sting actually, which cleverly uses Walter's long established greed.

Love how Walt takes yet another step further by planning to have Jesse killed, visiting Andrea etc.

The final confrontation, Walt finally under arrest, being spat on by Jesse. In any other season that would have been the nightmare scenario. But here's it's the only right one.

But of course with a few eps to go....it doesn't end there. Thugs with swastika tattoo's come to the rescue.

The first few episodes of the season were a bit hard to get through, because I had to adjust to the fact that Walt was finally the villain, that there was no way back for him.

Are you planning on finishing it tonight?

That is one of my favorite episodes. The car sequence, Walt screaming down the phone, was absolutely edge of the seat brilliant.

The long, deliberate slow zoom on his face later, behind the rock, as he contemplates and resigns himself to his capture, is my single favourite shot in the whole series. It says so much with just framing, facial performance and silence, it blows me away.

You're in the thick of it now, Steef! Only three episodes left.

I personally think the final 3 episodes are not only the 3 best episodes of the series, but also 3 of the best episodes of any tv drama ever.

I highly recommend not plowing right into them marathon style, if you can.

The brilliant cliffhanger ending of To'hajiilee should be stewed over, and pondered, not just immediately resolved, marathon style.

I'd recommend not watching the final 3 until tomorrow, or at hte very least get out and go for a walk or something before plowing in.

I'd also recommend a break between each of the final eps as well.

I envy you right now, getting to see these for the first time!

Ozymandias

Has a rare perfect 10 score on IMDB and it's easy to see why. It must be hard for a series that sets the bar so high to have a standout episode. But this is one.

Starting with the flashback of the first cook. Which is fun. Seeing Walt with hair and a moustache, Jesse dissing him. The sweet phonecall with Skyler. It's nostalgic, but never sentimental because it's clear what's coming. It's a call back to simpler, innocent times when things could have been different. It highlights who Walter was then, to what he has become.

The scene that follows, Hank's death is awful. I deeply wish it didnt happen, but BB doesn't take shortcuts, and never turns back on itself. Once again the difference between Walt and Hank is made clear. Walt tries to talk his way out of a situation, while Hank accepts what will happen. Walt when from a good man to a monster. Hank went from a douche-bag to a hero.

While Walt might have earned back some points for at-least trying to save Hank. From there one it just gets worse. Getting Jesse captured, telling him he saw Jane die...gloating even.

What follows then is what the episode title refers to. The fall of a King. Walt loses the one things he still kinda had. His family. The confrontation is brutal, in a particularly brutal episode. But again it all flows perfectly. Skyler finally rebelling, Walter Jr. calling the cops on his dad. Walt taking Holly.

I read that the scene where he changes Holly's nappy and where's she says "Mommy mommy" was unscripted, it just happened. If it did, it must be fate.

Walt finally takes on a new identity. Jesse captured and Andrea and Brock under threat. Only 2 eps to go and I have no idea how this will end!

The long, deliberate slow zoom on his face later, behind the rock, as he contemplates and resigns himself to his capture, is my single favourite shot in the whole series. It says so much with just framing, facial performance and silence, it blows me away.

It actually moved me to tears.

Granite State

After a very dense few episodes a more contemplative one, featuring Walt going into hiding in the middle of nowhere, sometimes accompanied by Robert Foster (good call for a guest role).

His cancer worsens, his strength diminishes and he figures he will be dead soon, and his money won't go to his family.

The scene where he calls his son, who denounces him and his intentions is both triumphant and heartbreaking. Triumphant because Flynn does the right thing, something Walt could never do. Heartbreaking, because Walt was once a good man, with good intentions. His son was the last thing he might have had.

As he is about to turn himself in, the TV interview of Gretchen and Elliot denying he had any big influence in the founding of Grey Matter gives him one final thing to fight for. That idiotic pride.

One could complain about the very very timely appearance of that interview. But BB does on occasion depend on coincidences to move things along.

Like Garak said:

"I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences."

Things go from bad to worse for Jesse as Andrea is brutally shot by Todd, who wants to keep cooking to impress Lydia.

The scene where they break into the house and assault Skyler is terrifying.

One more to go

Btw. I noticed a longer version of the main title at the end of this episode. Pretty cool!

Ozymandias

Has a rare perfect 10 score on IMDB and it's easy to see why. It must be hard for a series that sets the bar so high to have a standout episode. But this is one.

Starting with the flashback of the first cook. Which is fun. Seeing Walt with hair and a moustache, Jesse dissing him. The sweet phonecall with Skyler. It's nostalgic, but never sentimental because it's clear what's coming. It's a call back to simpler, innocent times when things could have been different. It highlights who Walter was then, to what he has become.

The scene that follows, Hank's death is awful. I deeply wish it didnt happen, but BB doesn't take shortcuts, and never turns back on itself. Once again the difference between Walt and Hank is made clear. Walt tries to talk his way out of a situation, while Hank accepts what will happen. Walt when from a good man to a monster. Hank went from a douche-bag to a hero.

While Walt might have earned back some points for at-least trying to save Hank. From there one it just gets worse. Getting Jesse captured, telling him he saw Jane die...gloating even.

What follows then is what the episode title refers to. The fall of a King. Walt loses the one things he still kinda had. His family. The confrontation is brutal, in a particularly brutal episode. But again it all flows perfectly. Skyler finally rebelling, Walter Jr. calling the cops on his dad. Walt taking Holly.

I read that the scene where he changes Holly's nappy and where's she says "Mommy mommy" was unscripted, it just happened. If it did, it must be fate.

Walt finally takes on a new identity. Jesse captured and Andrea and Brock under threat. Only 2 eps to go and I have no idea how this will end!

It actually moved me to tears.

I couldn't have said any of this better myself. When I saw Gomez's body, I think I said "no" out loud (rare for me), and when Hank died, I was so shaken that I couldn't even say anything. That episode is so powerful, so brutal, that I almost felt a little ill afterward. Had to watch some Malcolm in the Middle, just to see Bryan Cranston in a role that did not make him a monster in a monstrous world. :P "Ozymandias" is a stunning work of, dare I say it, art. Every element of the production is on point - writing, acting, directing, lighting, composition, etc., etc. - even more so than in the 5 amazing seasons that lead up to this point. I have an insane amount of respect for the talent necessary to create this sort of cinematic excellence.

BTW, you're now exactly where I am in the watching process, although it's round 2 for me. Just re-watched "Granite State" last night. I'll probably wait a day or two before tackling the finale, though - it doesn't disappoint, and I'd rather not be done just yet.

Felina

Simply, Walt returns to wrap things up, and die.

Some shows disappoint in their last episode. BSG's was awful for me. Many still curse the ending of Lost, The X-Files or Seinfled.

Thankfully Breaking Bad never missed a beat ot stepped a foot wrong in 5 seasons and closes in style.

For a finale it's wonderfully restrained. Never attempts to outdo it's high octane action moments like Fring's death, Tuco's crib blown to hell etc. But it does have one final use of Walt's gift of science and technology. As unlikely at that automated M60 may be. It works. It's both cool, and works dramatically. Gets rid of the minor villains in a strong way.

The hateful Todd gets his comeuppance from Jesse, while Walt finally puts the ricin to use on Lydia.

Before that Walt goes on a small farewell tour, first to Elliot and Gretchen. In a creepy and effective scene he secures his son's future. The moment when the 2 red dots appeared really spooked me.

I also found that for the first time this season I was actually rooting for Walter again, in a small way. Gretchen and Elliot are boring, ultra rich twats, who cares!

I guessed that Walt used Skinny Pete and Badger.

The scene where Walt meets with Skyler is strong too. He does the right thing giving her the location of Hank's body. And finally...finally he admits to not having done all of those things for his family, but because he wanted to. They make amends in a small way.

It's also good they didn't try to force one final meeting with Flynn in there, that would not have worked.

Finally Jesse. Walt wanted to kill him before, wanted to kill him when he figured he was cooking again. But thankfully spared him. He has suffered enough. Jesse is the last person Walter sees. He goes into the meth lab, looks around...and dies, sort of happy.

We never see what happens to Jesse. That's probably a good thing. I for one would like to think he's well.

Some might have wished the finale had more humor, more action, more of Jesse and Want together for the last time. But the strength of Breaking Bad as a show is that it never succumbs to the temptation of giving the audience what it once over what it more logical, plot and emotion wise for these characters.

Season 5, in all it's brilliance and tragedy lacks the excitement and humor and absurd nature of the earlier seasons. But I don't see how they could have retained that without somehow feeling false.

The level of consistency of the show as a whole is astounding. Not only doesn't it have a single bad episode (which is rare), the bar gets raised a bit every season and it becomes just that little bit better.

Many shows start of great, but slowly taper of (Heroes, The X-Files, lost etc etc) Some start of average and only become great later on (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

It's reputation is well earned. It is amongst the best ever produced for TV.

The only question left, Steef, is why you didn't believe us when we've been trying to yell you how good this was for the past two years.

I refused to watch it as well. I think I heard about it around season 3 but started after season 5a ended. The final episodes I was watching on UK Netflix as they appeared only hours after US premiere.

Karol

The makers were surprisingly kind to Walt in the finale compared to many S5 episodes.

Even if he redeems himself only in his own eyes.

And I was wondering. Is the opening scene, Jesse making the box, a flash back, or flash forward?

I kinda hope the latter.

On the subject of the last episode, am I the only person uncomfortable with the treatment of Lydia's demise? Sure, she done her share of morally objectionable things and is generally unlikable but the moment Walt (whose crimes make hers look tame by comparison) informs her of the ricin poisoning is played on an almost triumphant note.

On the subject of the last episode, am I the only person uncomfortable with the treatment of Lydia's demise? Sure, she done her share of morally objectionable things and is generally unlikable but the moment Walt (whose crimes make hers look tame by comparison) informs her of the ricin poisoning is played on an almost triumphant note.

Like Walt she is a control freak and a coward, and prefers to remain detached from the ugly side of the business.

She did have several people killed though.

The final episode is a triumph for Walt. He always said he wanted to go out on his own terms.

Btw, Walts hatefull phonecall to Skyler in Ozymandias. i thought it was Walt consumed by hate, but since he must have known the call would be recorded. It goes some way of clearing suspicion that she was an acomplice rather then a victim.

Even if Walt considered her act of stabbing him a betrayal. All he has left is his obsession to provide for his family.

And I was wondering. Is the opening scene, Jesse making the box, a flash back, or flash forward?

I kinda hope the latter.

It was his imagination, not a real event.

The bigger question for Steef is this: have you got your sister on it yet?

This is what Breaking Bad fans do.

I viewed the first 3 episodes for her today.

She is pissed of at me because she will now have to spend her free Tuesday binging on this show.....

Very interesting to see those first few episodes so soon after S5.

Seeing Walt as a lovable loser, and Jesse, before he was a wreck of a man.

I'm glad the show didn't end with Walt shown as a monster. Yes, he hasn't exactly redeemed himself, but showed Walt's last attempt at humanity, and I can appreciate that.

I'm intrigued by the differences between the character as portayed in Ozymabias and Felina. The broken, evil, vengefull Heisenberg who's losing everything. Who could not protect his brother-in-law and who's wife and son turned away from him and who's protege betrayed him and the more contemplative, almost Walter we saw in the finale.

I personally think the finale is a bit kind to Walter, more-so then the writers have been the rest of S5, where he was a cold, calculated villain. Still fooling himself, but not really anyone else.

Granite State is really the episode that explains the change. It's the first time in the show ever that Walter has been without distractions. For much of the show he's been in denial about his impending death, which the remission of his cancer merely delayed. Throughout he's been obsessed with either his work, survival, or family, Always thinking of the next step, and crucially never willing to look back.

In this desolate hut in New Hampshire Walter for the first time is without any distractions. No TV, only two DVD's of the same film, and for the time he's there his body slowly starts to let him down. He finally has no choice but to ponder, and think about the consequences of his actions. To cool down, not act to swiftly. Reflecting only on his actions, and impending death.

This isn't mentioned in the episode, but it might be that the extractor is basically leaving him there to die, so he can take the barrel of money. He seems like an honest man in a way, that he would not murder Walter. He certainly didn't promise to give the money to Walt's family. In any case. Staying in that hut would not have accomplished anything for Walt.

I disagree with some of the posters in this thread that the finale was too ordinary or underwhelming. It wasn't the spectacle of Ozymandias, because it was never designed to be.

One thing I love is that of all the main characters we never see how they end up. We don't know if Skyler will get out of trouble, or Flynn will get past his emotional issues, and we have no idea how Jesse will fare.

Walter's last stand might have accomplished very little.

Yea, I like the finale for all those reasons, and Granite State for all those reasons as well

I was going to ask if you scrolled back through early pages to read our comments as Season 5B aired.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...