BREAKING BAD

Jay

We had ESPN on during poker last night and one of the sponsors was Breaking Bad, so I couldn't help but see some commercials. Pretty sure that they were entirely composed of old footage, not showing any new scenes at all. Pretty cool of AMC to do that I thought.

Yeah, ok, at this point, it's last man standing.

Now the cold opening of the Season 5 premiere makes sense. It takes the edge off the discovery at the cliffhanger. We know he gets away, and a year later is living under an assumed identity. We just don't have the blanks filled in or the payoff. It also serves to remind us of his bacon thing, which I had totally forgotten about from the pilot. I also hadn't realized that's the same gun dealer who sold him the untraceable pistol.

ATTENTION!!!!

THE FINAL EIGHT EPISODES START AIRING THIS SUNDAY IN THE U.S.!!

From now is, this is a SPOILERS ALLOWED DISCUSSION THREAD for the new episodes! If you are not watching the new episodes as they air each week, I highly recommend you simply don't even open this thread starting 9pm EST Sunday until you are caught up to what has aired on AMC!

You do NOT have to put any discussion of the episodes that have aired in spoiler tags!

NOTE: You DO have to put ANYTHING shown in the "next time on Breaking Bad" segment in spoiler tags!!! Some people choose not to watch those, so don't ruin it for them please!

Have a great time watching Sunday night, those of you who can - I won't get to see it until Wednesday!

From what I know UK Netflix will have them Sunday, immediately after they air in America.

Thus. I'm renewing my membership for two months.

Karol

From what I know UK Netflix will have them Sunday, immediately after they air in America.

Karol

Dude I'll be torrenting the shit out of this!

Lee - waiting for the complete series boxset.

Channel 5 are to screen the show from the very beginning? That'll be a first on terrestrial TV. Better late then never I guess.

It's great that BB will finally get a larger audience here instead of the cult it is now.

Karol

Dude I'll be torrenting the shit out of this!

Lee - waiting for the complete series boxset.

Yeah, I will buy the complete series when it comes out.

Karol

Good episode. At first it might seem like a letdown, given how excited we all were. But then last episode aired around a year ago - this one was bound to be a slow-burn. But just then, when you think, they're going to waste even more time for exposition, it gets to business. Seven more to go.

Karol

If won't buy it if the final 8 are shit, of course. ;)

Karol

You thought it was shit six months ago ... when you discovered Breaking Bad isn't Nolan realistic and that it sometimes goes over-the-top.

Alex

Nolan isn't realistic, but ah well...

Not what I said, not exactly anyway. I just didn't grab me at first. A slow burn. I loved the first season, then started to have my doubts in season two, then it got better in 3, and then even more in 4. The first 8 episode of season 5 were excellent.

Karol

It's funny how this guy once said he wanted to treat Batman a bit more seriously and shoot it more traditionally and then it all turned into IT'S VISCERAL AND REAL. ACTUALLY, REAL LIFE IS ACTUALLY PRETTY FAKE AS COMPARED TO THIS. Tired of this, to be honest...

Anyway, back to Breaking Bad. It wasn't a smooth affair. But when someone (you, Alex? Jason?) pointed out that I should watch it as Coen brothers on television, it all started to make sense. And my doubts mostly come from the fact the first season is very down to earth, for the most part.

Karol

It was a slower episode. Not the show's best, but still top-notch stuff. Loved the writing as usual. Great cold opening and the awesome showdown at the end promises that there is greatness to come.

Yeah I liked how Hank didn't draw things out at the end, and just came straight out with the accusation. And that Walt didn't really try to deny it, but suggest that trying to prove it/convict him would be fruitless.

Although more curious is the opening scene... perhaps an indication that although he doesn't get put away, he gets everything taken from him.

Oh, and go Skyler! (interesting also that Walt didn't lie about the other woman - perhaps their relationship has changed to 'no bullshit' over the last month?)

I didn't expect the last scene to occur this early. The episode moves at a pretty leisurely pace and wham! Not to mention the fact it's not exactly going in a direction I was expecting. Hank is not the alpha male in this situation - great stuff!

I also like that Jesse is the only sane player in this thing, ironically.

Karol

I didn't expect the last scene to occur this early. The episode moves at a pretty leisurely pace and wham!

It was good old audience expectation and pay off, most welcome. I mentioned to Claire afterwards that I thought it was great that Vince permitted such a delicious reward after such a long haul and the promise posed by the end of epi 8.

Hank is not the alpha male in this situation

Oh I think he was... right up until the very last moment.

Great shot that one, btw.

By the way, am I the only person thinking Marie is one of the most bizarre characters on television? She seems to be straight out of Twin Peaks, quirky woman.

Karol

Great episode. As happy as I am that Netflix put the first half of Season 5 up for streaming, I'm pretty miffed that the newest episode isn't available for streaming in the States. Nope, only the UK. Oh well. Sad that now only 7 are left.

Yeah I liked how Hank didn't draw things out at the end, and just came straight out with the accusation. And that Walt didn't really try to deny it, but suggest that trying to prove it/convict him would be fruitless.

I didn't get that feeling at all. Hank seems genuinely afraid of Walt when he shows up. He hides the evidence because he doesn't want to give Walt any indication that he suspects him, out of fear as to what he might do. He even engages in small talk. When Walt walks away, we feel a sense of relief that he's not going to do something stupid.....but then Heisenberg wants to play. He wants to confront. Once Hank's GPS tracker is revealed, Hank's hand is forced, literally. Hank's anger overcomes his fear of Walt and he lashes out. Notice the amount of spit he sprays at Walt when he curses family. Hank is obsessed because he's found his monster and feels so completely embarrassed at him being under his nose, inside his circle of trust, for the entire time. He's terrified of being disgraced like George Merkert.

This is the second pivotal time I can remember when Walt's ego and alter ego help in Hank's investigation. The first was after Hank was convinced that Gale was Heisenberg, a drunken Walt lazily suggests that he's not, because Walt/Heisenberg's pride is insatiable. We see that with Jesse -- the show's moral compass -- when Heisenberg jeers at him for wanting to leave -- to walk away -- from something great they had built. Heisenberg's pride suggests that further investigation will be pointless, but also tries to intimidate him at the very end. That's classic Heisenberg right there.

Well yes,there is definitely fear/embarrassment/concealment to begin with, but I meant that once Walt had confronted him about the tracker, Hank realised that Walt suspected something was up and didn't want to draw it out any more.

He knew it was crunch time and best confronted there and then, otherwise risk the possibility that Walt may take thwarting action afterwards. Bearing in mind that Hank is now aware that Walt is capable of killing.

Has anyone else seen this?

It's too fucking appropiate for Walt. My Way always gets to me, but here... Damn! It's Walt.

That was amazing!!!!!

AMC has posted two brief behind the scenes / cast interview thingies for 509 "Blood Money". Absolutely nothing shown from episodes beyond 509

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/spoilers-inside-episode-509-breaking-bad-blood-money

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/spoilers-making-of-episode-509-blood-money-breaking-bad

As well as a brief preview for 510, "Buried".

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/next-on-breaking-bad-episode-510

I've seen the premiere, I'll post my thoughts tomorrow

Haven't seen last night's episode yet (will watch it tonight), but I wanted to share my thoughts on last week's

Breaking Bad 5x09 Blood Money

Awesome opening sequence. Sadly I had read about it online so kinda knew what to expect, but it still contained some classic Breaking Bad shots (the camera being attached to the skateboard going through the pool). It's kinda strange to think that in less than 11 months from the "current" events of the show, the house will be completely abandoned, fenced in, pool emptied, house graffitied. Maybe that is how long it would take, I dunno.

Picking up from mid-season climax after that, it was great to see Hank reacting to the Walt Whitman book, and getting out of there without spilling the beans. Why oh why did he drive himself instead of letting Marie drive! Hank always wants to take care of everything himself.

Jesse not wanting the blood money at all is certainly in character with the way his character has evolved. It was a nice gesture to want to have Saul get it to Mike's granddaughter and the family of the kid that was shot, and not surprising that that didn't work out. I loved how Walt said "Deja Vu, huh?" when he returned to the house with it :)

The ending of the episode truly surprised me. I assumed that this final season would have a lot of Hank slowly piecing things together, or even if he figured it all out right away, it would take Walt a while to figure out that Hank knows, it would be a slow burn kind of thing. How cool was it when Walt just showed Hank the GPS tracker, and Hank just slowly closed the garage door! And then the sucker punch! It was unexpected, but brilliant! The show will be much more interesting now that Walt knows that Hank knows, and see where it goes now. I loved how Walt was able to pretty quickly talk Hank down from wanting to expose him.

And that brings us back to the pre-credits sequence. In the curren time, He tells Hank that he is a dying man who will be dead in 5 months, so there's no reason to bring more pain to their family. Yet we the viewers know he makes it to at least his 52nd birthday, and that he will have a full head of hair, seemingly indicating his cancer has gone into remission again. Can't wait to catch up to this timeframe! I wonder if it will happen before the final episode?

Episode 10 is indeed perhaps even better again, one of the finest. It seems this show does not understand how to rest on its laurels even if it wanted to.

The turn of the screw is just mesmerising.

Last night's episode was my first time watching Breaking Bad with commercials, which really disrupts the experience, but I'll be unable to wait for it to hit Netflix.

What I got out of Blood Money was that it was the first time I realized that Walt really is a criminal and will face judgment. As long as Hank couldn't put it together, it was fun to root for Walt to commit these capers. Now that's all changed because we basically see that Walt will lose the very thing he set out to preserve: family. We just don't know the full extent yet, but the lines are drawn. Hank needs to catch his personal monster without it ruining his career, and we now finally see Marie emerge as a useful and dynamic character as opposed to merely Hank's cheerleader and nurse. She is still his cheerleader, but for her, marriage is thicker than blood.

The Lydia plot puzzles me. I really enjoyed the Scrooge McDuck moment, and I can't wait to watch Jesse come undone. Regardless of the poetry book, Jesse seems on a collision course to bring down Heisenberg. I only hope he learns the true personal evils before he checks out.

Oh man we couldn't believe it when the credits rolled! Thought for sure we'd see Hank and Jesse duke it out in the ep! Dang!

More thoughts tomorrow!

The new episode was brilliant I'd say. The first half was just so intense. Everyone's on shaky sides, and a family is so clearly torn part, with both sisters haven taken sides, what was once whole is now broken forever. As Wojo said, marriage is thicker than blood and I love how that was all shown.

I'm both surprised and impressed by the pacing of these last few episodes. This last one especially because although it doesn't cover much time in the grand scale of events to come, it brilliantly exposes the consequences of Walt's actions which all will come to face (Hank losing his job, Skyler losing her family, Walt losing everything, etc).

And I can't believe I have to wait for the next episode to witness the Jesse interrogation! Great stuff!

The Lydia plot puzzles me. I really enjoyed the Scrooge McDuck moment, and I can't wait to watch Jesse come undone. Regardless of the poetry book, Jesse seems on a collision course to bring down Heisenberg. I only hope he learns the true personal evils before he checks out.

Yeah I'm not quite sure what's going on there either. Perhaps they're trying to show what her life is like now that Walt isn't helping her.

Superb second episode. In some ways I feel relief that now everything is out in the open - the only secret really now being how much money Walt has. On the other hand, the family will never, ever be the same way again.

And Walt Jr hasn't found out yet...