Hans Zimmer's Man Of Steel

Jay

You know, a bad score has never really made me anticipate a film less, or detract my enjoyment of the film much.

A good score will make me anticipate a film more, or enjoy a film more, but I've seen plenty of fantastic films that had completely forgettable scores. It doesn't really matter.

You know, a bad score has never really made me anticipate a film less, or detract my enjoyment of the film much.

A good score will make me anticipate a film more, or enjoy a film more, but I've seen plenty of fantastic films that had completely forgettable scores. It doesn't really matter.

It's not the score, I'm just thinking it's only a Superman film, and that a while ago I wasn't even enthusiastic about it. I only got enthusiastic because I liked the cast and some of the images and the trailers seem a bit like how my preferred Superman film would be like. But now I'm again without enthusiasm for it.

And I think Zod's armor is a bit overdone (seems too decorative?) and I don't like that it's CGI.

Yea, I was psyched for the film initially, then turned off by the initial teasers and all the posters and promotional stills.... the most recent trailer was a bit more promising though.

I think the score will be more interesting than the Amazon samples suggest - I think they were all taken from early parts of the tracks, and the tracks likely have their more exciting moments more towards the latter parts of the tracks.

"Zimmer also didn't want to do "another really dark" superhero movie. "Everything's tinged with irony and sarcasm and bitterness and darkness these days," he said. But this Superman is something lighter, he said, "celebrating everything that was good and fine about America," such as small towns "where people don't lock their doors, neighbors get together, and families are families."

MEGALOL.

This should win Incanus' Golden Biscotti Of Comedy!

Only members of the MB can be awarded that honor.

If the score is particularly heinous, it can still cause people to loose...stuff.

Are you refering to some type of involuntary bowel movement?

i'm just curious what group of people of the 2 (against or in favor of late Zimmer style), is the largest?

is there a poll or something? although it would best if it was opened in FSM and not here which is a Williams forum.

Yea, I was psyched for the film initially, then turned off by the initial teasers and all the posters and promotional stills.... the most recent trailer was a bit more promising though.

I'm not turned off yet. This makes me curious. Why is Jason, who loves 99% of movies, TV shows, animals and planets, turned off by Man Of Steel? You love so easily so why does this movie particularly belong to the 1% you don't love?

If you consider the world wide web, I'm sure the latter group is the largest.

I guess this is true if we count just anybody.

i was referring more to actually film music fans, people who are seriously into film music, and not just a random person that goes to movies..

I'm not turned off yet. This makes me curious. Why is Jason, who loves 99% of movies, TV shows, animals and planets, turned off by Man Of Steel? You love so easily so why does this movie particularly belong to the 1% you don't love?

You must be confusing me with Koray. I see stuff I don't like all the time! Doesn't mean I write about it all.

I'm listening to the Superman Returns score as i'm writing this, Hans Zimmer really has a lot to live up too. As far as i'm concerned John Williams and John Ottoman have set the bar for Superman scores. Zimmer's score from the samples seem quite underwelming so far. I will say the music that was featured in the third trailer was absolutely amazing. (I believe it was to only be used in the trailer don't know if it will be released)

One thing that does bum me out about composers is that they only release bits and pieces of the score (For the most part) I think the composer has the choice on what to release and what not too. Some of it probably has to do with copyrights and money as well. I understand it costs a lot to release the entire score but if your going to put the music out there try to release the full score or soundtrack.

For example "Hook" the expanded score was released last March, it was a great effort on La La Land Records part to take the time and find the film stems to extract them to put them on a great 2 CD set for us. (I know there were some tracks that were still left out at the request of John Williams) Granted I believe that was a 3 or 4 year process. The way I see it if your going to release a score or soundtrack go all out and release the full thing not just bits and pieces.

Well, that would be nice. Maybe one day...?

Though on the other hand, by the time they finally release the WHOLE score to accompany a film release, are the scores still going to be worth listening to?

Here's to hoping! :D

I have to say I haven't seen "Superman Returns" fully but I did listen to the complete score, it was absolutely AWESOME! I really think that a great soundtrack does help a movie. I know Ive probably stated this already, before purchasing the 2 disc CD set I'm going to listen to it on Spotify. I really enjoy movie scores but I'm more into fast paced scores more so than anything. That's not to say Hans Zimmer isn't a great composer because he is. This time around from the samples I've heard nothing really stands out or blows me away.

I really hope the music that was used in the third trailer gets put on the CD in some form. Whether it be a main title or part of another track. The music to me in that trailer was so EPIC and seems to define Superman for me. We'll have to wait and see on June 11th to see what Hans Zimmer has done with Superman. I'm also so excited for the fact that David S. Goyer wrote the screenplay for the film and Chris Nolan produced and Zack Snyder is directing. Those three definately worked great together, from what I've seen from trailers.

I think David Goyer is a good writer, in terms of overall story layout and approach. But a lot of his dialogue is awful.

Goyer's scripts are better when someone else rewrites them.

That's what I meant by his awful dialogue. It's a shame the two guys who rewrote the script -- Jonathan Nolan and Kurt Johnstad -- aren't given credit at all for it.

It's especially irritating since Christopher Nolan did a polish on Goyer's script for Batman Begins and subsequently got a co-writing credit for doing some mild changes. Changes that the WGA would normally say "Those are minor and have no significant change to the narrative or characters" -- and give Goyer the sole writing credit.

Very annoying.

I'll have to get that Jason,

it will bust my Zimmer virginity.

I have to say, while the music will probably suck, the set looks really cool.

I'm quite pissed that there's more music on this that on The Hobbit SE.

Your math is way off BB. The Hobbit SE still had quite a few more minutes of music and no 28 minute track of Shore doodling with demos.

Yea, Inky is right and Bloody is wrong

The Hobbit Special Edition 2CD set runs 02:07:23

This MOS thing runs 59 minutes on disc 1 and 58 minutes on disc 2 for a total of about 1:57:00

BTW, did anybody zoom in on the disc art? They say "DISC 1: FLIGHT" and "DISC 2: EXPERIMENTS FROM THE FORTRESS OF SOLITUDE"

And this set doesn't have the usual Sony complementary collectible cards. At least they tried with those post card thingies.

I'm sorry if I digress for a moment, but sometimes I think I'm either too dumb or too smart to understand things. And the connection between a movie soundtrack and shiny stickers or postcards is a big mystery to me.

Who buys a soundtrack for postcards?

If I bought a CD with stickers, I would only think "great, where shall I put this crap?"

Nobody cares, the people who run the marketing departments of music labels are out of touch with film score fans.

Well this most certainly isn't targeted at film score fans, most soundtrack releases aren't. Although I will say WB knows their stuff. A DTS download is a step in the right direction; and they obviously did wonders with the Lord Of The Rings complete recordings.

Zimmer said last year that a complete score set of all his Batman music wasn't out of the question. I suspect we'll see that with the forthcoming ultimate trilogy set.

No one knows. The source KM posted says it's called "An Ideal Hope" which is the same as the YouTube trailer rips. My guess is that's a fan title though since it's not on the release's track listing. It has to be in there in some shape or form.

Again this is the main reason ill be listening to this score on Spotify first. This track is so AWESOME, if it's not on there UGH!

No one knows. The source KM posted says it's called "An Ideal Hope" which is the same as the YouTube trailer rips. My guess is that's a fan title though since it's not on the release's track listing. It has to be in there in some shape or form.