Avast! Don't miss Chris Tilton's *brilliant* Sim City.

BLUMENKOHL

He's written a GREAT (I know it's overused, but I think it really applies here) soundtrack to an otherwise disaster production. I haven't seen any mentions of it around these parts, so just a heads up. It's a really fun, energetic, and even I dare-say memorable score. It's filled with great music from end to end with lovely magical parts sprinkled through out.

Here's the main theme:

Listen to 1:30-End if you want a succinct sampler of how lovely this whole 2.3 hour soundtrack is.

Yes, perhaps by way of John Adams?

I can hear it actually. Would also fit in with Koray's observation.

Currently enjoying the piano accompanying the lovely theme in 4:15-End of "The Long Construction"

Yes, perhaps by way of John Adams?

I can hear it actually. Would also fit in with Koray's observation.

Currently enjoying the piano accompanying the lovely theme in 4:15-End of "The Long Construction"

The score has a nice slow meticulous build up to it. Once you hit "Urban Sprawler" and "A Tale Of Sim Cities" it sounds like full blown Philip Glass mode, but in a good way because there's a great melodic lyricism layered on top of the hypnotic underscore. I haven't listened to the Night Mixes yet, been enjoying the first half immensely.

I remember Tilton posting an article about this back before the game was released and how he wrote the music in a really specific and unique way that would allow the music to rise and fall naturally within the game without looping. Must be why they're all in 6 minutes suites.

Well the clip you provided sounds very interesting indeed Blume. Although for some reason I could hear We'll Fix It in Post-Haste from Super 8 in my head after listening to that.

Hadn't heard he was doing the music to this game. Really like the Main Theme (reminds me a little of ST 2009 towards the end with the way it builds) and not what I'd have expected for the game. I presume there isn't a proper release to this anywhere?

Hadn't heard he was doing the music to this game. Really like the Main Theme (reminds me a little of ST 2009 towards the end with the way it builds) and not what I'd have expected for the game. I presume there isn't a proper release to this anywhere?

It is on iTunes and Amazon. Dunno if that qualifies as "proper" if you are looking for a physical release.

Still..$10 for a great soundtrack. That's two drinks at Starbucks. ;)

Thanks for the heads up Blume, I am a big Tilton fan and didn't realize there was an official OST for this, somehow! Here is the link, it's $9.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6SI8IG/

Is there significant music in the game that didn't make the OST?

Right. The recorded music is compressed before being stored in the game files. There's no reason for a video game to have lossless music.

In fact, it would be a waste of resources, both storage and actual data rates during the game. Also, chances are the music in the game is looped and doesn't have clean endings (which would have to be composed and recorded specifically for an album release). And there's no way I'm buying an always-on game for a platform I don't even have at home. ;)

All music we ship with our games are compressed at around 128 kbps (occasionally less). There's just no reason to dedicate a gigabyte to hours of lossless music that'll be drowned out by sound effects and ambient drones. Especially when you have to play that music back in real time dynamically.

When I first moved to the industry many years ago I actually dared to ask why we can't put in higher quality music. I still have wounds from that.

It is on iTunes and Amazon. Dunno if that qualifies as "proper" if you are looking for a physical release.

Excellent, in this instance proper is a digital release which I hadn't expect but I'm glad to hear there is one. Just wish it had been a lossless release (really why can't more stuff be released via Bandcamp or its ilk rather than iTunes/Amazon)

Video game music? Seriously, guys?

Yes, nothing wrong with VGM. Indeed Starhawk was one of my fav overall releases from last year. Still, to each their own.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't get enough of this score! I listen at work a lot, it's great music to have on while programming away.

It's on spotify for anyone who uses that, that's how I listen to it.