John Williams' ROSEWOOD (1997) - 2013 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

filmmusic

Great news -- Rosewood came in early!
We will start processing and shipping out orders today. As you may have guessed, with this stellar new John Williams release and our special 20% off sale, we have a mountain of orders to ship off. Please be patient. We are processing them as quickly as we can in the order as they were received.
MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=96391&forumID=1&archive=0

I just got an e-mail stating that Rosewood will be shipped in 2-3 days. :D

I got one too

Well I've never heard the OST before so I won't be able to comment on the difference from that if that's what you mean

No, I mean just opinions in general.

I have a tremendous respect for this score anyway. I'm sure I'll be fine with it.

Especially that there is around 40 minutes of previously unreleased score material.

Karol

Well John Williams is my favorite composer and I want to own every score he ever wrote, so why wouldn't I buy it?

There's actually a surprising amount of post-Jaws scores I've never heard before:

Born of the 4th of July, Always, Stanley & Iris, Presumed Innocent, Sabrina, Nixon, Sleepers, Rosewood, Seven Years In Tibet, Amistad, Stepmom, and Angela's Ashes

Well I've never heard the OST before so I won't be able to comment on the difference from that if that's what you mean

It'll be all the more interesting to hear your thoughts then. :)

There's actually a surprising amount of post-Jaws scores I've never heard before:

Born of the 4th of July, Always, Stanley & Iris, Presumed Innocent, Sabrina, Nixon, Sleepers, Rosewood, Seven Years In Tibet, Amistad, Stepmom, and Angela's Ashes.

Do you mean that you haven't yet heard those scores? :o

Oh man you have so many beautiful scores to discover in that bunch! It contains a good portion of JWs best drama output. :D

I'm sure! It's kind of good that I never got around to them, as now I still have "new" Williams scores to look forward to discovering in the years to come :)

You missed the point. I don't want to get them all now and then have no new Williams scores to look forward to. I LIKE that I will have more to discover for years to come.

I got time.

I don't really understand the logic . Here we are waiting on this MB for years until the next JW score when there's some available on c.d. you haven't heard yet?

At least you could give them a listen instead of the latest generic action score to come out or useless RCP recording sessions being passed around

I also never listened to most of the mentioned JW dramatic scores and so i am looking forward to all the expanded releases where i can discover them in complete form. For example Rosewood and The Fury are more or less almost completely new for me. (Except the concert suites on the JW Greatest Hits cd or other compilations)

I rather discover them with remastered sound quality and in expanded form than to hear a maybe subpar OST album.

I mean there are quite some JW scores i never heard apart from concert suites or maybe watching the movie if available. For example almost every pre 1974 JW score and some newer ones like The Fury, Heartbeeps, The River, The Accidental Tourist, Stanley and Iris, Stepmom, Sabrina, Nixon, Sleepers, Rosewood, Seven Years in Tibet, The Patriot... So there is still a lot to look forward to ;)

I've heard all John Williams film scores and seen all films (except one). I've also seen and heard a great deal of his TV work. However, like Jason, I feel like I still have a lifetime of JW music to explore, since only a small fragment of those TV scores are available. There are literally hundreds of episodes in different genres that I still need to track down and hear. With such a prolific man like Williams who's been doing music for so many years....this 'quest' will never end, I think.

I'm just glad I'm not a Morricone completist! :)

Born of the 4th of July, Always, Stanley & Iris, Presumed Innocent, Sabrina, Nixon, Sleepers, Rosewood, Seven Years In Tibet, Amistad, Stepmom, and Angela's Ashes

Stanley & Iris for me.

Stanley & Iris for me.

I bought the album just now. A lovely little chamber sized score from Williams.

I haven't heard anything from Stanley & Iris or Nixon. Haven't you heard the others even from the Greatest Hits set? At a very minimum, his concert pieces are wonderful.

Angela's Ashes is superb.

Presumed Innocent and Sleepers are underrated.

People need to realize / remember not everyone has been collecting as long as some of us have. Even though I've been collecting since I was 8 it was LP's and tapes until the late 80's. Even with the introduction of CDs, I had maybe a 1/4 of my library at the beginning of 1998. Then the boom took off.

It's expensive and not everyone runs out and downloads stuff, they buy their stuff, plus a lot of younger members here.

Well I'm 33 and have been into Williams since I bought the Star Wars Anthology in 1994, but it wasn't until 2002 or so that I started buying every single OST of his that came out (and even then, I never got Geisha until a few years back). So I missed a lot of the 90s outputs, especially since they were for dramas my teenage self had no interest in seeing

As I've said, I have plenty of time now to discover them one by one

Well I'm 33 and have been into Williams since I bought the Star Wars Anthology in 1994, but it wasn't until 2002 or so that I started buying every single OST of his that came out (and even then, I never got Geisha until a few years back). So I missed a lot of the 90s outputs, especially since they were for dramas my teenage self had no interest in seeing

As I've said, I have plenty of time now to discover them one by one

Absolutely. And you'll have to do it in your own tempo. The great thing about your approach is that you have all these great scores (and even films) to look forward to while some of us are digging through obscure "trash cans" for more Williams that might not be even half as good.

Angela's Ashes is superb.

Presumed Innocent and Sleepers are underrated.

People need to realize / remember not everyone has been collecting as long as some of us have. Even though I've been collecting since I was 8 it was LP's and tapes until the late 80's. Even with the introduction of CDs, I had maybe a 1/4 of my library at the beginning of 1998. Then the boom took off.

It's expensive and not everyone runs out and downloads stuff, they buy their stuff, plus a lot of younger members here.

I bought Nixon, Sleepers, Sabrina in my teens. I was introduced to John Williams with Jurassic Park and Hook. But my collecting started with Star Wars re-release and The Lost World, which was my first proper film score I had by him.

I like most of his dramatic output, some it more than I used to, some of it less.

Karol

Our stats are pretty much the same then. I'm 34 and started in 94 with the Star Wars Trilogy (Skywalker Symphony). Though I'd already started blind-buying most Williams CDs I found in stores in the later 90s.

The oly post-Jaws JW score I haven't heard in any form is Stanely and Iris. Like Jason, I don't want to get them all at once. I'm also missing a few of FSM's releases, which I also plan on getting eventually.

I've heard all John Williams film scores and seen all films (except one). I've also seen and heard a great deal of his TV work. However, like Jason, I feel like I still have a lifetime of JW music to explore, since only a small fragment of those TV scores are available. There are literally hundreds of episodes in different genres that I still need to track down and hear. With such a prolific man like Williams who's been doing music for so many years....this 'quest' will never end, I think.

You also have to explore all the music that Williams didn't include on the OSTs and you refuse to listen to for whatever reason. Or dismiss as not worth listening to since Williams decided not to include it on the album

But you'll seek out obscure TV scores that don't even have released albums.And even make TV recordings with sound effects and dialogue so you can listen to the music, which is exactly what the rest of us are doing with unreleased music from other scores

So what is it? Listening to unrelased music is fine as long as an album doesn't exist, but as soon as Williams picks the cues that should go on the album, the rest of them become automatically worthless to listen to?

The oly post-Jaws JW score I haven't heard in any form is Stanely and Iris. Like Jason, I don't want to get them all at once. I'm also missing a few of FSM's releases, which I also plan on getting eventually.

Better hurry up on that, all of them are almost gone.

Wow! That's actually a lot of fantastic Williams material you'll get to dig into for the first time!! I guess it's great that you can still experience that :P

Better hurry up on that, all of them are almost gone.

I've got all the ones that are running out. The only ones I'm missing are that omnibus TV set and the ones that are long OOP. Maybe a few more, but none are about to run out.

You also have to explore all the music that Williams didn't include on the OSTs and you refuse to listen to for whatever reason. Or dismiss as not worth listening to since Williams decided not to include it on the album

But you'll seek out obscure TV scores that don't even have released albums.And even make TV recordings with sound effects and dialogue so you can listen to the music, which is exactly what the rest of us are doing with unreleased music from other scores

So what is it? Listening to unrelased music is fine as long as an album doesn't exist, but as soon as Williams picks the cues that should go on the album, the rest of them become automatically worthless to listen to?

Something like that, yes (although I wouldn't phrase it exactly like that).

Stanley and Iris is lovely. I like it more than some other "dramatic" scores

That's the one I've never heard. This one, Always and The Accidental Tourist.

Karol