For 'The President's Own'

gsburch

Some additional details about the piece appear in the program for the July 10 and 11 concerts:

Fanfare, “For ‘The President’s Own’” (2013)
John Williams (b. 1932)

On February 8, 1932, John Williams was born in Queens, New York. The son of a jazz drummer, Williams studied piano and composition at the University of California at Los Angeles and The Juilliard School in New York City. By the time he was in his late twenties, Williams was an active jazz and studio pianist and began composing music for television and films. In 1974 he met an ambitious young director named Steven Spielberg, forging one of the most successful partnerships in the history of filmmaking. That year, the two worked together on a film called Sugarland Express starring Goldie Hawn and a year later teamed up again for Jaws. It wasn't long before Williams’ music garnered international attention unlike any American composer since Sousa. Williams has written the music for some of the most popular films of all time and dozens of his memorable themes have reached iconic status worldwide. He also ranks among the most honored film composers of all time, with a total of five Academy Awards, four Golden Globes, and twenty-one GRAMMY Awards. He has been nominated for a total of twenty-four Golden Globes and fifty-nine GRAMMYs, and his forty-eight Oscar nominations are the most ever achieved by a living person.

Throughout his highly successful career as a film composer, Williams has also composed music for the concert hall. Many of these works have been concerti written for specific artists; often close friends and valued collaborators of the composer. Inspired by the virtuosic performance abilities of the members of “The President’s Own,” Williams’ spirited work weaves together bright fanfares from the high brass, exciting rhythmic woodwind interjections, pulsing bass lines, along with many other motives, each with their own gripping kinetic energy. Having conducted the United States Marine Band in their 205th and 210th anniversary concerts, maestro Williams wrote “For ‘The President’s Own’” in celebration of the ensemble’s 215th anniversary.

Source: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/downloads/this_weeks_program.pdf

Apparently, one (or two?) YouTube videos will be posted by the President's Own tomorrow (July 11) which will include rehearsal footage and interview segments:

"Colonel Michael Colburn interviews John Williams about "For 'The President's Own'" for a video to be released on YouTube."

"we don't have streaming capabilities at this time, but footage from this rehearsal will be posted to our YouTube Channel tomorrow: http://www.youtube.com/usmarineband"

So, that means no video of the complete piece? just snippets of the rehearsal? :(

Is that what they meant when they replied to me that they'll post a video? I hope not.

So, that means no video of the complete piece? just snippets of the rehearsal? :(

Is that what they meant when they replied to me that they'll post a video? I hope not.

I would be incredibly surprised if a complete video wasn't posted, and even more surprised if a recording wasn't posted as well.

The Marine Band (like all military bands) exist mainly to advertise for their respective services, and having John Williams compose a piece for your organization is naturally a big deal. They should be able to use this experience for promoting their ensemble and the entire Marine Corps for years - both to the general public, and especially to the music world, which values the Marine Band very highly. It'll go a long way toward accomplishing their mission. If they don't, somebody should be fired! (Lol)

oh god it sounds like we'll get snippets of the rehearsal, with Williams talking about the piece over the music

Similar to the Fanfare for Fenway and NBC news videos

K.M. Bracing for the worse

oh god it sounds like we'll get snippets of the rehearsal, with Williams talking about the piece over the music

Similar to the Fanfare for Fenway and NBC news videos

K.M. Bracing for the worse

Well, how 'bout this to help your mood? :D

The Marine Band puts out more CD releases than practically any other military band, and they are always 100% FREE. I would almost guarantee you this will be on their next recording. I know the waiting sucks, but a FREE CD with an original Williams Fanfare, played by arguable the best wind band in the world will be nice.

Well, how 'bout this to help your mood? :D

The Marine Band puts out more CD releases than practically any other military band, and they are always 100% FREE. I would almost guarantee you this will be on their next recording. I know the waiting sucks, but a FREE CD with an original Williams Fanfare, played by arguable the best wind band in the world will be nice.

Well, at the risk of being a wet blanket, the CDs aren't free to Joe Public.

"The Marine Band produces recordings for educational purposes and to enhance the public affairs and community relations of the United States Marine Corps. The recordings are distributed free of charge to educational institutions, public libraries, and radio stations. Because appropriated funds are used, they may not be distributed for private use and are not for sale.

Educators, librarians, and station managers can request that their educational institution, library, or radio station be added to the CD mailing list by writing on official letterhead and sending to:

Head, Marine Band Branch

Division of Public Affairs (PAB)

Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps

3000 Marine Corps Pentagon

Washington, DC 20350-3000

Or, you may click here.

Once your request is processed, your organization will receive all Marine Band recordings in stock. Your organization will continue to receive new recordings as they are released. The Marine Band releases about one recording each year."

Source: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/audio_resources/educational_recordings/index.htm

That said, my local public libraries carry their CDs so in essence, they're available to me at no cost.

And yes, many of the CD recordings are available as MP3 downloads on their site at no charge, though not all tracks may be available from every CD.

Awesome! I'm guessing they are digital downloads?

Hmm, I'm not sure if they always offer a digital download - my guess is this one would likely be offered as a download on their site though, if (or when) they produce a CD which features it. They still press CDs the old school way, with liner notes and junk. (lol) Digital Downloads involve a whole different set of copyright permissions. This specific work would have a different set of parameters for that than most.

Something to consider (not to get too deep and boring about it) is that the Marine Band does a great job of promoting the Marine Corps, providing morale, and all that, but they are all musicians with incredible backgrounds. They offer MANY wonderful recordings of wind band music and are considered one of the top bands in the world. They are aware that bands around the world - from high school groups to university bands and even other military bands - look up to them as one of the "top dogs." They love their status, and they respect it.

As such, they love playing to their audience, so to speak. They have a huge following, and they know it. The US military is the reason bands became popular in the US, and as such we all share the obligation to be as good as we can be at it. And keep this in mind: we (including the Marine Band) do everything we do completely free of charge. You'll never pay an admission fee to a military band concert, or to pay money buy a CD (it's illegal for us to sell recordings).

This status removes ALL sense of "hoarding" that you may get from someone like a professional orchestra. When we get to do something extra fun, we are THRILLED to put it out there for everyone in the entire world to see and/or hear. Because it's illegal for us to sell any of our products (CDs, tickets, etc) we are MORE than happy to let the world know everything we're doing, which would include hearing a recording. A pro orchestra might hang onto something like this so they can sell it, but military bands are happy to put it out there for free.

OK...boring info over...

Well, at the risk of being a wet blanket, the CDs aren't free to Joe Public.

"The Marine Band produces recordings for educational purposes and to enhance the public affairs and community relations of the United States Marine Corps. The recordings are distributed free of charge to educational institutions, public libraries, and radio stations. Because appropriated funds are used, they may not be distributed for private use and are not for sale.

Educators, librarians, and station managers can request that their educational institution, library, or radio station be added to the CD mailing list by writing on official letterhead and sending to: (etc.)

THX:

Ignore all that crap. It's legal mumbo-jumbo. We all say the same thing. :D

If someone writes them and asks for it, they will send it to you. They press between 5K-10K of each CD, depending on the target audience. It's absurd how many of their CDs I still have with the shrink wrap still on, which I did not obtain in any sort of official capacity.

P.S. I have to say, please don't anyone think I'm some sort of know-it-all-wannabe, this is part of what I do every day for the military. Although I'm not in that particular group, our legal regulations and mission goals are all the same, and I've worked with the Marine Band enough to know how they operate. I only offer all this as a way to alleviate fears that you'll never hear it ever in your life. This is a BIG DEAL for them....believe me, they're gonna publicize the ever-luvvin sh!t out of it cause it'll make them feel important. haha

EDIT: Which they, umm...are. Ahem.....Sir. :whistle:

Well said, airmanjerm!!

BTW, the Marine Band's recording of Williams' "Prelude and Fugue" is available as an MP3 download here: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/audio_resources/discography/FamilyAlbum.htm

Thanks for that. Quite different from the Stan Kenton recording.

Prelude and Fugue? I am not familiar with that concert piece? What did John Williams compose it for, and when did it premiere?

Oh, thanks. What was it written for? A specific person? An organization?

Check out pages 5 & 6 (of the PDF) for the liner notes of the Family Album CD: http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/audio_resources/discography/discography_pdfs/family_album.pdf

You forgot the notes...

I was having difficulties including the images of the notes, so I gave up and linked to the PDF from the Marine Band's site.

The line notes, referring to Catch me if you Can say,

While Williams had never previously composed in this style [jazz] for his film scores (...)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

The line notes, referring to Catch me if you Can say,

While Williams had never previously composed in this style [jazz] for his film scores (...)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

Yeah. It also states that he moved back to LA in the mid 60's. It was actually 1956.

It has it's moments but it's a bit more abstract than of some of his other fanfares.

I can't really discern a main melody

At least we got the whole thing in good sound quality

Thank you.. It was a fairly good piece, but I felt too that it was like bits stitched together..

I didn't feel it was a tight-knit work.

Maybe i'll change my mind in repeated listens.

I think it's mighty fine! It has a nice 'conversational' quality, in fact several moments almost seem to quote the Conversation from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And how super to see Jerry Goldsmith and his lovely wife watching the maestro at work!

:mrgreen:

That's exactly why I fell in love it! It's kinda like a band cousin so Soundings, a delight to the ears.

I love it at 3:58, when it starts builing and it just keeps going and going... It's marvelous!

Also the band orchestration (no strings) for some reason makes it feel more unique, and that percussion at the end! Simply amazing.

Loved it.

Also the band orchestration (no strings) for some reason makes it feel more unique

Actually it did have a Double bass, which I didn't expect, since after all it's a concert band.

Also the band orchestration (no strings) for some reason makes it feel more unique

Actually it did have a Double bass, which I didn't expect, since after all it's a concert band.

Isn't double bass kind of regular for wind orchestras?

I really liked the first listen. There is nice gradual build-up throughout and JW consciously passes through the entire ensemble to showcase each section. Very lively and energetic and perhaps closer to JWs concerto work in that it doesn't have an immediately hummable sing-song quality many of his older fanfaric work do. I certainly do not mind this at all. Wonderful stuff and I am so glad this was recorded and videod for us to enjoy! :)

And how super to see Jerry Goldsmith and his lovely wife watching the maestro at work!

:mrgreen:

:lol2:

Mr. "Goldsmith" looks a bit bored. He almost yawned at one point.

Hmmm.. I don't think so. But I'm not sure. It's a wind orchestra as you say.

Cool piece, although it doesn't quite go anywhere, melody-wise! Happy to see the whole thing out! :) Awesome video too.

Now for making an mp3 out of it! I have a feeling several of us are on that task already. :)

[Edit: Damn it, 'Snip Mp3' doesn't seem to work right now]

Another phenomenal piece by the master. If this piece becomes available for MP3 download, would someone please inform of this? Thank you.

Actually yes, in the US most professional and university wind bands (including military bands) use at least one double bass. I don't think it's caught on as much in Europe, but I do know many band composers there (i.e. Nigel Clarke) do include it in their orchestration. Some wind bands even add a few cello players, but that's rare even here.

Actually, its quite common to feature bass players in concert bands.

EDIT: I see its been mentioned above already. :P

Haven't heard the fanfare yet. I'll do that once I get home.

The Marine Band has now posted an MP3 of the piece on their site. Here's the direct link:

http://marineband.usmc.mil/downloads/audio/for_the_presidents_own.mp3

"Recorded by the Marine Band on July 3, 2013, in the John Philip Sousa Band Hall at the Marine Barracks Annex in southeast Washington, D.C."

The Marine Band has now posted an MP3 of the piece on their site. Here's the direct link:

"Recorded by the Marine Band on July 3, 2013, in the John Philip Sousa Band Hall at the Marine Barracks Annex in southeast Washington, D.C."

Can't access that url

Can't access that url

Did you receive an error? (could be a geographical restriction)

If you're saying you can't access it because it's not "clickable", copy the link and paste it into a new browser tab. I purposefully put the link in "code" text because otherwise, the direct MP3 link results in a small media player instead of seeing the full link.

I really liked the fanfare. Yes, its not one for melody, but the textures and gradual momentum built is great stuff.

Can't access that url

I'm not at a computer, but someone might be nice enough to upload the recording to a cloud site and post a link for anyone who can't access the band's website. The Marine Band clearly has this licensed as a free public web download, so that shouldn't violate our board policies. I'll defer to the mods of course, but just a thought.

Must be a geographical restriction, it says can't find the server

Tried to open from different browsers and computers

Will be very grateful if someone, as airmanjerm suggested, could upload it

This is a really neat interview. JW gets some new questions for once:

Interesting that Williams mentions he "initially" thought of the piece as a fanfare. Maybe this would be better classified as a miscellanious concert work than a fanfare.