Michael Giacchino's Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Matt C

Haven't seen a lot of discussion for this score yet for some reason. Are people waiting for their physical CDs? Or is there just not a lot to say about it?

Anyone whose seen the film want to talk about the themes and what they represent?

I haven't really done one before, but I can do a score analysis of the themes in a day or two.

As far as I've been able to tell, there is the Noble Apes theme (as Matt Reeves called it), the Rogue Apes theme, the Human theme, and Caesar's theme, which are the four themes highlighted in Planet of the End Credits (in the order of Human, Rogue Apes, Caesar, Noble Apes, and Caesar again). I think there also might be a small motif for Caesar's newborn son, but it appears only once on the soundtrack and only twice in the film, I think. (Edit: Now that I think about it, I think the newborn's motif is actually just Caesar's theme... We can discuss this later!)

Anyway, I can do a full track-by-track analysis in the next day or two. I've really enjoyed the score on its own, and I thought it worked really well in the film. I need to do another listen-through to get the specific time stamps for themes.

There's a 4 note theme you can hear it at:

Close Encounters of the Furred Kind 1:15-1:30

Enough Monkeying Around 2:10-2:45

Primates For Life 0:15-0:55

Primates For Life 4:35-5:15 (backed up by other stuff)

Planet Of The End Credits 5:00-5:25

Planet Of The End Credits 7:35-8:15 (backed up by other stuff)

Is that Caesar's Theme?

There's a 4 note theme you can hear it at:

Close Encounters of the Furred Kind 1:15-1:30

Enough Monkeying Around 2:10-2:45

Primates For Life 4:35-5:15 (backed up by other stuff)

Planet Of The End Credits 5:00-5:25

Planet Of The End Credits 7:35-8:15 (backed up by other stuff)

Is that Caesar's Theme?

Yep! In Close Encounters of the Furred Kind, it appears when Caesar stands on the rock in front of the humans.

In Enough Monkeying Around, it appears when

Caesar starts to win the fight against Koba.

In Primates for Life, it also appears from 0:15-0:53, both times as

Caesar stands victorious in front of the rest of the apes.

It also appears in a scene in the dam (not on the soundtrack), when

Caesar walks in and interrupts the fight between Koba and Blue Eyes.

Haven't seen a lot of discussion for this score yet for some reason. Are people waiting for their physical CDs? Or is there just not a lot to say about it?

Anyone whose seen the film want to talk about the themes and what they represent?

I listened to it once and it didn't do much for me. Haven't revisited it since.

My physical copy arrived from Amazon yesterday

There's a really nice note from Matt Reeves on the first page. Apparently he showed MG the first rough cut in the film in December, 3 hours long and with no special effects. MG came back a few weeks later with a 10 minutes suite that Reeves listened to repeatedly while cutting and finishing the film. There's some stills from the film, all the musicians are listed, and there are 3 great pictures of Giacchino credited as being taken by Maria Giacchino, who it looks like is MG's sister. Finally in the special thanks MG gives a nice tribute to Jerry Goldsmith.

Definitely one of the better OSTs that comes out, Sony Classical did a real nice job here!

I don't really know where else to post this, but

‘Apes’ Director Matt Reeves Inks 3-Year Production Deal With 20th Century Fox

I'm excited for this partnership, mainly for the Giacchino scores that could arise from it. Hopefully the deal will last long enough to produce more than just the next Planet of the Apes film in 2016 (which Giacchino has already confirmed he's scoring).

I just hoped for much more. With the exception of Doyle's score, I loved RISE OF THE THE PLANET OF THE APES.

I thought Doyle's score was good, but I haven't listened to it in awhile. The film was my favorite from that Summer.

Been listening to Giacchino's entry and it's growing on me, but I don't think I'm going to catch this one in theaters. Good to hear he's scoring the next one.

I loved the film and score, same with Rise.

Giacchino's take on the score really does harken back to Goldsmith's original at times, and Koba's theme is awesomely aggressive and primitive, absolutely spot on.

The almost utopian theme for Caesar does a great job of capturing his conflicted wisdom.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they going to keep sticking to events before the original film? I'm all for them remaking it and going in their own direction to create a unified universe.

I suspect they will, at least for now.

Eventually they may remake the original story using the current narrative, and that could be good if they maintain the quality of Rise and Dawn.

If you think about it, there is no real reason to even tell that original story at this point, The element of surprise, so crucial to everything, is long gone.

Karol

Are they going to keep sticking to events before the original film? I'm all for them remaking it and going in their own direction to create a unified universe.

I suspect they will, at least for now.

Eventually they may remake the original story using the current narrative, and that could be good if they maintain the quality of Rise and Dawn.

That would be heresy.

• 3 weeks later...

He gave the same rating I'd give, maybe a half star less.

The Goldsmith homage isn't as prominent as people like to make it out to be. So I suppose that's why he didn't mention it. But Clemmenson has always had a strangely overwhelming fondness for Doyle, a composer I'm not very fond of myself. There is some needless bold praise for him in this review, I'll give ya that.

He used Giacchino's Land of the Lost as a negative example, but I regularly listen to that and *enjoy* it, while I've tried several times and have never been able to make it through Doyle's Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

And to call Giacchino's track titles a "detriment" to the score is ridiculous, since what the tracks are called have (or should have) no effect on how they sound. That's one of the most annoying (and, sadly, common) complaints about Giacchino's scores I've heard, and it doesn't make sense.

Well, at least Goldsmith got two. ;)

Karol

Hold up.

This twat gave Goldsmith's score two stars?

I will now even more enjoy calling him a twatty twat as I don't click on the link to his page. Eat shit.

I mean, people never complain about Horner's track titles.... Now, he does have a real talent for those.

This twat gave Goldsmith's score two stars?

I will now even more enjoy calling him a twatty twat as I don't click on the link to his page. Eat shit.

He never reviewed the album, but if you go to Goldsmith's page, you'll see it's rated.

Don't worry, he hates North, too. ;)

And he doesn't appreciate Desplat's smaller scores - calls them sterile.

Karol

Yeah, he doesn't rank the more challenging stuff very well...but I think its largely because he's catering to his audience, who are mainstream collectors. Clemmenson's always viewed and used his site more as a gateway for more mainstream viewers to learn about film music. And for those guys, Filmtracks is like a platform from which you can go on to explore more serious, challenging corners to the film music niche.

And some of Desolat's work can be sterile!

Needless?

The excessive praise for Doyle in reviews of other composers' works is something I view as needless.

Yeah, he doesn't rank the more challenging stuff very well...but I think its largely because he's catering to his audience, who are mainstream collectors. Clemmenson's always viewed and used his site more as a gateway for more mainstream viewers to learn about film music. And for those guys, Filmtracks is like a platform from which you can go on to explore more serious, challenging corners to the film music niche.

I do know his philosophy, but the logic is faltering. How is he supposed to encourage anyone if he's not recommending anything but comfort food? It might be great comfort food, but that's only one thing of many.

Karol