Michael Giacchino's Dawn of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)

Matt C

"The Battle Of Monte Cassino"

Paired with "The Last Rites", I think the two tracks make up Giacchino's best dramatic action music in his career.

Was that nothing? Get film composers nowadays get paid millions of $ to come up with mousy chord progressions and proudly wear a hat with the word 'generic' stuck on top?

Paired with "The Last Rites", I think the two tracks make up Giacchino's best dramatic action music in his career.

"Labyrinth Of The Minotaur" through "The Motorcycle Chase" is just pure bliss.

As for Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, I liked the bit of music he conducted. Seems to me like it's the emotional groundwork material. At any rate, I wouldn't dismiss an entire score based on an 8-minute concert suite. The little bit of music in the Jupiter Ascending trailer sounded fantastic, so I'm eagerly awaiting the action music for this one. I'm preparing for Giacchino's return.

Do you suck up anything just because it's a current blockbuster? I just imagine one of the composers of the original Ape-series having to prepare a 8-minute suite. It couldn't have been this empty even if their mother's life would have been dependent on it.

The only blockbuster score I've bought this year is Godzilla, and I haven't even listened to it yet. I'm sucking all that shit up.

Wait, what? I thought you were a Zimmer completist? You didn't buy the TASM2 2CD Deluxe Edition set?

"Labyrinth Of The Minotaur" through "The Motorcycle Chase" is just pure bliss.

As for Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, I liked the bit of music he conducted. Seems to me like it's the emotional groundwork material. At any rate, I wouldn't dismiss an entire score based on an 8-minute concert suite. The little bit of music in the Jupiter Ascending trailer sounded fantastic, so I'm eagerly awaiting the action music for this one. I'm preparing for Giacchino's return.

You mean The Wachowskis Descending? I'm not particularly hopeful for the film, but I'd love a return of the pre-STID Giacchino... if he hasn't been murdered by the Super Serious And Gritty Brigade.

I'm a Wachowski fan, and while I don't really care if the film is good or not, they know what they're doing when it comes to the audiovisual marriage. I'm sure Giacchino's score will be excellent.

As much as I love the early Abrams-Giacchino collaborations, I feel that their more recent work is what is keeping Giacchino stale. Could never get into Super 8 or the two Trek scores on album, though they are perfectly fine in the respective films.

Oh I like their films as well, I'm just not sold on the whole Channing Tatum thing....

Super 8 and the Trek scores are ones I don't reach for often, it's true. Giacchino's mojo is hard to pin down or describe. But I hope he gets it back, whatever it is.

I think it's fairly simply. There's a particular energy and drive to his great scores, and the not-so-great ones feel workmanlike. Maybe it's not so clear cut, but I can hear it instantly. It's why I've never listened to John Carter more than a couple times.

The last word I'd use to describe John Carter is workmanlike. It's like his quintessential score!

I feel like Giacchino lost his mojo before the Star Trek scores, but it came back for John Carter (which was the last Giacchino score I really enjoyed), only to disappear again.

I feel like Giacchino lost his mojo before the Star Trek scores, but it came back for John Carter (which was the last Giacchino score I really enjoyed), only to disappear again.

You know that Star Trek Into Darkness is the ONLY score he's done since John Carter, right? (Unless you count Toy Story of Terror)

Ahh yes, but judging from this suite, doesn't sound like DotPotA is going to change that verdict either.

MG is the equivalent of J. J. Abrams: a fan referencing what he loves but without any spark of genius it would need to create something exceptional.

I get that people WANT to like JOHN CARTER (massive Sci-Fi-Comic spectacle) and i give Giacchino that he does some pretty things along the way (the little no-gravity waltz, for example) but the writing spreads thin pretty fast, simple ostinato stuff covered by huge (read: loud) orchestration, simple harmonization covered by huge (read: loud) orchestration and so on. You don't need to be a genius to write this stuff but nowadays, just because film music by and large is even worse, people love that it sounds like a Williams/Goldsmith/Horner/Silvestri score if you hide it behind the movie. On cd it's an entirely different matter.

I actually had the same issues with John Carter at first. But it's packaged really well with this score. I felt this score showed some sense of evolution in Giacchino's style. The themes are quite solid, the action tracks pretty entertaining, and all in all he does well to hide those same old chords and repetitive ostinatos. It's good entertaining score, which is more than can be said for Giacchino's other recent output, and a lot of recent film music.

I pretty much agree with the opinion above about Giacchino making up for weaknesses or hiding shortcomings with wild dynamics and orchestration, albeit unintentionally. He has undeniable talent, but he seems like a student whose growth was stunted as some point and never took the rest of the classes.

I really tried getting into John Carter. Although I've never seen the movie, the subject seemed ripe for classic hollywood material. I listened to about half before throwing in the white flag. Just got bored by it. There wasn't much going on. It was all sauce and no pasta.

What sells me on John Carter is that I'm still not familiar enough with the many session cues to recognize them when they come on shuffle. Rarely is there anything that gives it away as Giacchino. Some are easy to mistake for Williams underscore, at least for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we be sure that's Giacchino's score?

That was just my assumption. I had thought that the "theme" in the clip from 00:15-00:25 when Caesar appears was the same as one of the themes from the concert (2:54-3:04 in the clip below), but now I don't think they're the same...

The more I listen to the MTV clip, though, the more I think the music at the end sounds like it *could* lead into the music from the VFX clip:

That's just what it sounds like to me, at least.

Some are easy to mistake for Williams underscore, at least for a while.

I don't think you can mistake Williams underscore for anyone else. For example when we were picking out the unreleased music of AotC and RotS from videogame files composed by multiple composers, the Williams underscore will have nuances that can't be mistaken for anyone else

I realized just today (yeah, I'm slow) that Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes would have been a more fitting title for the first film, and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes a more fitting title for that sequel. Bah!

Both are films I certainly have no interest to watch.

Hopefully the score will turn out interesting.

I realized just today (yeah, I'm slow) that Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes would have been a more fitting title for the first film, and Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes a more fitting title for that sequel. Bah!

But I'm sure you would have been more interested in both films if the first one was called Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes and the second one Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes!

As it is, you've got the rise before the dawn, it doesn't make any sense, it leaves you confused and as a result, you don't have any interest in the films!

Nah all this monkey business just doesn't interest me one bit and the trailer further solidified that impression. I wonder if they will replace the actors with motion capture CGi counterparts in the next one. Flying, jumping, bear and human battling CGI monkeys do not exactly sent my heart racing with excitement. CGI Gary Oldman on the other hand would. He could then kick some ass CG style! He would be unstoppable method CG actor! Andy Serkis could do his movement and Gary could dub the voice!

The score will be composed by Gia. So no!

The score will be composed by Gia. So no!

I have a fool's hope for Gia! One day his dart will find a mark in that flock of birds he keeps throwing them at!

So you think this score will only please Giapologists? ;)

From the previews, it seems that he's done it all before. Lost was his ultimate Planet of the Apes tribute. I'll reserve my judgement till I hear more.

Karol

Incanus loves 2001 version!

Karol

Nothing beats Paul Giamatti in orangutan make-up! No, actually Charles Dance in a gorilla make-up would but that's beside the point!

And I am entirely ambivalent towards Elfman's score.