Conversations - New Chamber (piano solo) by John Williams

pro-arte

-Edward Elgar

-Copland

-Musician

-The Great Melody (by Conor Cruise O'Brien)

-The Music of Berlioz

-Mozart

-Collins Dictionary

Just to name a few books in his collection. :D

:)

I was wondering about some of those titles... thank you :)

By the way, Conversations I was premiered at Tanglewood, August 10, 2012... here's a short review:

http://www.sequenza21.com/carey/2012/08/instructions-to-composers/

Well let's hope for a quick recording and speedy release for this work! :)

I have to say I found it a bit funny how the reviewer in that short article seemed astonished that Williams is capable of writing music different from his film works. But as the writer Christian Carey says at the end of the short review "Who says one can only compose in one style?" :)

Well, recently we were graced with several of his concert works being released shortly after the premiere (Duo Concertante, Quartet La Jolla and the Harp and Oboe Concertos, plus this years "For The President's Own" fanfare).

Well, recently we were graced with several of his concert works being released shortly after the premiere (Duo Concertante, Quartet La Jolla and the Harp and Oboe Concertos, plus this years "For The President's Own" fanfare).

Was the "Quartet La Jolla" released? I'm only aware of the high-quality video from which most of us ripped the audio.

Are these piano pieces (Williams) commercially released?

Not yet! Not even uncommercially.

Quartet La Jolla is available, in high quality video, what else you want more :)

I would still call it a release -- maybe not in the traditional sence, but still...

Of course, a CD release would be awesome, but so far this is just amazing.

you know he's already changed la quartet la jolla. my memory is a bit shady on it, but i remember the end of the last movement he changed. maybe adding a few bars, and ending on a major 7th chord. he also said in an interview that he wrote some revisions into the cello concerto.

The new revised version of the Cello Concerto was premiered in 2011 by Leonard Slatkin in Detroit. Is set for released on Naxos Records sometime...

As for the Quartet La Jolla, could you provide me a source for that info? Did you attend the performance of the quartet at Tanglewood, last year?

i did actually!

Care to elaborate more on the whole concert? :)

From what I understood, 7 for Luck and the Duo Concertante were also performed...

If there is one piece we need on a recording then it is 7 For Luck!

Why does Naxos take so long to release the recordings? The cello concerto was two years ago. If it is an online release, they have even less reason to drag their feet.

They have likely both publishing and performing rights issues to iron out. These aren't public domain works, so I guess it takes a little longer to green-light.

i did actually!

From what I understood, 7 for Luck and the Duo Concertante were also performed...

Couldn't agree more...

i did actually!

Couldn't agree more...

unfortunatly, i was LATE to the concert ( for which i will forever hate myself) but i still have the program for it at home. unless it was not on the program, seven for luck was not performed. i'll have to check but i believe all that was played was elegy for cello, due concertante and quartet la jolla. williams himself was there.

im actually surprised there are not any pictures from the concert.

I think I read somewhere a very short kind of review that mentioned 7 for Luck -- along with Williams being in attendance. There is one excerpt of Seven for Luck at soundcloud that I assumed came from that concert: https://soundcloud.com/ilanazarankin/chocolate-from-seven-for-luck

I contacted the singer asking for more details but she never replied :(

At any rate, that must have been a amazing concert. I can understand how you feel for arriving late...

If you have the chance, would you mind scanning the program?

On November 12, Grammy-winning pianist Gloria Cheng will perform the world premieres of several original piano works by major film composers for the Opening Night program, entitled “Montage.” Academy Award-winning composers John Williams (Star Wars, Schindler’s List), Michael Giacchino (Up, Star Trek) and Randy Newman (Toy Story, Monsters, Inc.) who composed a piece in homage to Alfred, Emil and Lionel Newman, are featured on the program, as well as Bruce Broughton (Silverado) and Don Davis (The Matrix).

According to the article, this is the full program of the concert:

Bruce Broughton – “Five Pieces for Piano”
Don Davis – "Surface Tension” (World Premiere)
Alexandre Desplat – “Trois Études” (U.S. Premiere)
Michael Giacchino – “Composition 430” (World Premiere)
Randy Newman – “Family Album: Homage to Alfred, Emil and Lionel Newman” (World Premiere)
John Williams – Conversations” (World Premiere)
Olivier Messiaen – “Preludes” (Audience Choice)
The article also mentions that all composers are expected to be present at the event.

For information and tickets: http://pianospheres.org/

Source: Film Music Reporter

I want to go to there!

• 2 weeks later...

In advance of the upcoming Piano Spheres recital on November 12, KUSC interviewed John Williams, Bruce Broughton and Michael Giacchino on the Classical vs Film Music divide:

http://www.kusc.org/Blog/kusc/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10610586

John Williams—who has fought the stigma of film scoring for the past 40 years and has also written a large body of concert work—recognizes the disparity between the two worlds, but sees reason for optimism. “There is certainly still a divide in the functions and a divide in the requirements of the two fields,” he says. “There are a few people who manage to do very well in both areas, but precious few I think. Some of our greatest composers still feel very constrained by—and they’re right to—the limitations and restrictions in writing for film. And it takes a particular touch and affinity, I think, to be able to do many films well.”

On November 12, Grammy-winning pianist Gloria Cheng will perform the world premieres of several original piano works by major film composers for the Opening Night program, entitled “Montage.” Academy Award-winning composers John Williams (Star Wars, Schindler’s List), Michael Giacchino (Up, Star Trek) and Randy Newman (Toy Story, Monsters, Inc.) who composed a piece in homage to Alfred, Emil and Lionel Newman, are featured on the program, as well as Bruce Broughton (Silverado) and Don Davis (The Matrix).

According to the article, this is the full program of the concert:

Bruce Broughton – “Five Pieces for Piano”
Don Davis – "Surface Tension” (World Premiere)
Alexandre Desplat – “Trois Études” (U.S. Premiere)
Michael Giacchino – “Composition 430” (World Premiere)
Randy Newman – “Family Album: Homage to Alfred, Emil and Lionel Newman” (World Premiere)
John Williams – Conversations” (World Premiere)
Olivier Messiaen – “Preludes” (Audience Choice)
The article also mentions that all composers are expected to be present at the event.

For information and tickets: http://pianospheres.org/

Source: Film Music Reporter

I want to go to there!

+1

Even better, I hope this will be released somehow because it looks like an interesting modern selection. OTOH, I'm not a fan of most classical piano recordings, which tend to have a perspective from the audience sitting in a big hall. Pianos sound much better when they are stand in smaller chambers (with lots of curtains) and with mics closer to the instrument (more detail).

Alex

John Williams and Gloria Cheng at the Piano Spheres recital last night:

Cheng and Williams... @ColburnSchool #PianoSpheres pic.twitter.com/1yxW8vxFK8

— Noah Sorota (@noahsorota) November 13, 2013

BY-GG06CIAEsKf1.jpg

Also, "Morricone" from the FSM board attended the concert. He wrote about his experience here.

By the way, do you happen to have Norwegian blood? Your name sounds very Norwegian.

Hi Thor -- Actually Mari is my middle name but yes, I have some Norwegian ancestors on the maternal side. The Irish paternal side is responsible for my first name Kathleen. :)

I join you in being totally envious of Morricone's experience!

The LA Times review

Here's more info about the Williams composition:

Williams imagined conversations among jazz musicians he admired over the years, several of whom he'd known and worked with. Thelonious Monk did peek through in a Debussyan "conversation" with Claude Thornhill, a mentor of Gill Evans. Two former slaves — Mum Bett (aka, Elizabeth Freeman) and Blind Tom were among the ghosts. So, too, Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Chet Baker and Miles Davis. The tone was wistful Williams not epic Williams, the composer creating the mood for imagining music history rather than re-creating it cinematically.

Lovely pictures! Thanks for posting them Maurizio! :)

And a very interesting characterization of the piece by LA Times.

John Williams and Gloria Cheng at the Piano Spheres recital last night:

Cheng and Williams... @ColburnSchool #PianoSpheres pic.twitter.com/1yxW8vxFK8

— Noah Sorota (@noahsorota) November 13, 2013

BY-GG06CIAEsKf1.jpg

Also, "Morricone" from the FSM board attended the concert. He wrote about his experience here.

That's 2 sets of mics in the picture, which means it must have been recorded. :)

Ohhh, I wonder if it's anything like Jazz Autographs?

That's a good question, but I have a feeling it's far more 'challenging', based on FSM member Morricone's description.

Well, we must hope that a recording of this becomes available. From reading Williams's own notes alone (I have not heard the piece), it is clear that this is an intimate, personal project.

FSM Board member 'Morricone' shared this lovely anecdote about meeting JW after the recital:

What I LOVED about the night is that I had short unhurried conversations with all of them. Williams tends to leave the quickest so I focused on him first. Unlike my last conversation with him where I sacrificed my time to extoll the virtues of the GSPO, this time I talked about what was on my mind, starting with THE REIVERS which was my first LP I bought of his (and the only CD I brought because I happened to have it in my car). He talked of his early days and his association with Mark Rydell. And then came the question I have been waiting years to ask, had he ever presented THE FURY in his concert repertoire? He said he was TRYING to recall the score. My eyes opened wide with surprise and with grand gestures I said it was perfect for the concert hall and a very powerful piece. He was surprised right back at me, and pointing to his noggin he said after a moment "You've put the idea in my head!" These things seldom pan out but I swear if this shows up within the next year I am taking full credit for it!

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=100052&forumID=1&archive=0

Excellent! Now let's hope Maestro will start programming The Fury suite into his concerts in the future. ;)

• 4 months later...

Gloria Cheng has started a Kickstarter project for a documentary film and CD related to the recording sessions for the forthcoming Harmonia Mundi CD release to include Williams' Conversations and solo piano works of a handful of other film composers: GREAT FILM COMPOSERS & THE PIANO: CD+VIDEO by GLORIA CHENG

Now if only I had a spare $3000, I could have dinner with Cheng and Williams (or another composer of my choosing - Randy Newman might be the most fun actually)...

Fantastic news that these pieces will be recorded! Somewhat less fantastic is that they still need 16000 $ to make it happen...

Oh if I only had about 5000 € to spare for a dinner with Cheng and Williams and a trip of US.